The Problem With Endless Cucco Dodging

#1Jak7733Posted 12/4/2013 5:36:55 AM
Like most people, I am a bit irked that there's a reward for the ridiculous challenge of dodging cuccos for 1000 seconds. But there's good reasons to be irked about it.

1. It's not really endless. Nintendo has a problem with introducing something competitive and applying a hard cap to it (see Coin Rush NSMB2)

2. 1000 seconds is simply too extreme. You can pause it, sure, but that likely will result in you not being "ready" when you come back to it and losing instantly.

and the biggest reason and really the only reason I personally think it's too much,

3. It's simply not fair. It is NOT 100% based on skill. There is a luck factor. Too many times have I juked a fast fat cucco within the first 100 seconds, near a wall, only to have one dart out at me from offscreen that is literally impossible to avoid because I'm, at that point, trapped. It's easy enough to look at every one of these situations and say "oh if I had gone the other way, I would've been fine" but this is not an acceptable answer because you have to make a split second decision and there's no going back once the decision is made. The off screen cucco doesn't play a factor in the decision until after the decision has been made and executed, and hence is too late. Another example of how it is unfair is when the transition between waves is made every 100 seconds. There's no brief respite, no pause in the action. This has lead to me instantly losing at the transition because the difference in the speed/size of the wave still on screen and the one making it's entrance ends up trapping me. I once got hit by the very first small cucco at the 300 second mark because it was completely obscured by one of the big slow ones still on screen until, of course, it was too late and there was no hope of getting out of it's way.

In essence, if this mini game was 100% skill based, I'd be okay with it, even if I still think it goes on for too long. The fact that Iwata says no one at Nintendo was able to complete it only confirms that it didn't have thorough enough testing to ensure that it would be fair.
---
What the hell is a Firioniel? Is that the cable that fits an iFrion? - ponosmcgee on Dissidia Final Fantasy
#2JacobARFPosted 12/4/2013 6:05:38 AM
Please, this need to stop. I can promise you that everyone would have complained if you DIDN'T get a reward for surviving 999 seconds. Getting a reward for surviving 999 seconds is the least they can get you . . . + they didn't make the reward anything special, atleast it isn't a cool new item or weapon, instead it's just a big cucco that gives your hearts. I mean, come on, this complaining about a practically useless reward is just ridiculous -__-
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, and you are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
3DS fc: 2105-8638-3990
#3MeatballsoupPosted 12/4/2013 6:15:00 AM
I find if you can get by the first 20 seconds it gets easier. I usually for in the 20's or 70's, but never in between. It must come in waves or some kind of pattern.

My high score is 98.

I think it's a fine mini game, the only problem is 100 for the first reward milestone is too high, anything below that not being rewarded is too strict.
#412ehstevePosted 12/4/2013 6:15:59 AM
The waves change every 100 seconds, I've gotten 420 seconds so far...
---
http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/ehsteve12/
My Legend of Zelda Collection - Last update Dec. 2/13
#5TourianTouristPosted 12/4/2013 6:36:39 AM
JacobARF posted...
I can promise you that everyone would have complained if you DIDN'T get a reward for surviving 999 seconds.

But why did there have to be this 999 seconds cap?

I guess, it would have been more interesting, if this had like ten digits and people would just aim for the highest record, making this a real endless mode and some kind of world record thing. Maybe even have online statistics like in GTA V. This isn't a GameBoy game and there's no reason to limit the counter to 999.99...

With the cap and the reward it gives people the feeling that they HAVE to get to 999 to beat it, which takes the whole fun out of the thing. I could just say, "hey, my record is 360 seconds and I'm happy with it", but no, it's either 999.99 or nothing. And that's no fun.
---
touriantourist.blogspot.com
#6bcorneliaPosted 12/4/2013 6:39:01 AM
I'm sorry that you have OCD. I don't so I don't give a crap.
---
This is an elite pirate
#7JacobARFPosted 12/4/2013 6:40:01 AM
TourianTourist posted...
JacobARF posted...
I can promise you that everyone would have complained if you DIDN'T get a reward for surviving 999 seconds.

But why did there have to be this 999 seconds cap?

I guess, it would have been more interesting, if this had like ten digits and people would just aim for the highest record, making this a real endless mode and some kind of world record thing. Maybe even have online statistics like in GTA V. This isn't a GameBoy game and there's no reason to limit the counter to 999.99...

With the cap and the reward it gives people the feeling that they HAVE to get to 999 to beat it, which takes the whole fun out of the thing. I could just say, "hey, my record is 360 seconds and I'm happy with it", but no, it's either 999.99 or nothing. And that's no fun.

Then you'll have to deal with that you won't get 999, it is possible, and that's why they made a mini-reward for everyone who gets 999
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your lord and savior, and you are 100% proud of it, put this as your signature.
#8TourianTouristPosted 12/4/2013 6:44:19 AM
JacobARF posted...

Then you'll have to deal with that you won't get 999, it is possible, and that's why they made a mini-reward for everyone who gets 999

You didn't get my point at all. I'm just saying that the whole minigame would be more fun as a simple record thing that people can try when they want and not a frustrating race to the 999.99 to get the reward...
---
#9JacobARFPosted 12/4/2013 6:48:03 AM
TourianTourist posted...
JacobARF posted...

You didn't get my point at all. I'm just saying that the whole minigame would be more fun as a simple record thing that people can try when they want and not a frustrating race to the 999.99 to get the reward...

And I agree that it truly should be an endless mode, but complaining that there is a reward for 999 seconds is just childish
---
#10TourianTouristPosted 12/4/2013 7:00:22 AM
JacobARF posted...

And I agree that it truly should be an endless mode, but complaining that there is a reward for 999 seconds is just childish

If it wouldn't be an issue, people wouldn't be complaining. :-D

If there's a reward, people want it, even if it's just a worthless giant Cucco. That's simple psychology. Of course there are games, which are full of near impossible rewards and achievements for the most extreme players, but with Zelda getting absolutely everything was always within limits. And naturally some Zelda fans are now bugged about the fact that they have to survive 17 minutes of an unforgiving, luck based minigame to get every reward...

People also complained about the 9.999.999 coins in NSMB2, so Nintendo should have seen this coming... and I say the Cucco Run is a lot harder than farming those coins in NSMB2 .. :-D
---