hero mode as first playthrough

#1xdifferentxPosted 1/11/2014 8:07:14 PM
I'm borrowing this game from a pal and hero mode is already unlocked, I always thought Zelda games were way too easy, so if I'm looking for a challenge would you recommend starting on hero mode?
---
3DS 0619-4418-8834
#2DiogenesKCPosted 1/11/2014 8:09:51 PM
yeah sure whatever
---
I'm a member of the Midnight Crew
I'm a night owl, and a wise bird too
#3ZeroxKnuxPosted 1/11/2014 8:13:36 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4ZeroxKnuxPosted 1/11/2014 8:19:07 PM(edited)
I feel like a games challenge should come from the player having to make hard decisions not enemies simply hitting harder. That isn't any more challenging just more punishing.
#5sumuthergamerPosted 1/11/2014 8:27:14 PM
ZeroxKnux posted...
I feel like a games challenge should come from the player having to make hard decisions not enemies simply hitting harder. That isn't any more challenging just more punishing.

What kinda hard decisions can you make in a video game? Got any examples?
---
sumuthergamer = some other gamer. Get it?
Call me "gamer", not "sumu"...
#6I_eat_tablesPosted 1/11/2014 8:48:35 PM
Go ahead, although you'll find it's pretty punishing. Basically, imagine playing a Zelda game where you start with 1 heart, and every heart container/4 pieces of heart gives you an extra quarter. That's (approximately) what Hero mode is like.
---
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -Reiner Knizia
#7ZeroxKnuxPosted 1/11/2014 8:55:38 PM
sumuthergamer posted...
ZeroxKnux posted...

In terms of enemies you can make smarter enemies that can adapt to what you are doing, interesting weak points you can capitalize on to effectively attack enemies, more aggressive enemies that pressure you, harder combination of enemies, attacks that require a certain degree of strategy to avoid or block. All these things would increase the amount you have to think to beat the game.
But that's just enemies and combat which I feel aren't the main aspects of a Zelda game. To make a truly difficult Zelda game would involve making one in which the puzzle solving/dungeon crawling aspect have more difficult puzzles.

I mean even in regular mode you want to avoid getting hit so if you are playing the game well you should already not be getting hit making Hero mode redundant in that aspect. An attack doing one heart or three hearts of damage makes no difference to how the game is played.
#8sifer2Posted 1/11/2014 10:00:45 PM
If your an experienced Zelda player go for it. The difficulty is more on par with A Link to the Past on hero. Though at little harder in the first few dungeons. As you will die in two hits from everything until you get a few extra hearts.
#9sumuthergamerPosted 1/12/2014 12:33:14 PM
ZeroxKnux posted...
sumuthergamer posted...
ZeroxKnux posted...

In terms of enemies you can make smarter enemies that can adapt to what you are doing, interesting weak points you can capitalize on to effectively attack enemies, more aggressive enemies that pressure you, harder combination of enemies, attacks that require a certain degree of strategy to avoid or block. All these things would increase the amount you have to think to beat the game.
But that's just enemies and combat which I feel aren't the main aspects of a Zelda game. To make a truly difficult Zelda game would involve making one in which the puzzle solving/dungeon crawling aspect have more difficult puzzles.

I mean even in regular mode you want to avoid getting hit so if you are playing the game well you should already not be getting hit making Hero mode redundant in that aspect. An attack doing one heart or three hearts of damage makes no difference to how the game is played.

Okay, that makes sense. I just never thought of those as "decisions", and I'm still not sure that's the right word for it.
---
sumuthergamer = some other gamer. Get it?
Call me "gamer", not "sumu"...
#10GoombacrusherPosted 1/12/2014 12:37:32 PM
DiogenesKC posted...
yeah sure whatever

---
kawaii!