How much harder is hero mode?

#1TanardinPosted 1/15/2014 8:04:38 PM
I borrowed this game off a friend and I guess he unlocked this mode after beating the game. How much harder is it?

I dont really find zelda games that difficult so I was considering starting on this mode, but if all it does is cause crap to one shot you ill probably stick to normal.
#2mrjack3112Posted 1/15/2014 8:07:16 PM
Enemies do double damage on hero mode
#3NintendoDudeGuyPosted 1/15/2014 8:17:04 PM(edited)
mrjack3112 posted...

Not in this one.
4x damage.

Blue tunic halves damage, red tunic quarters damage. So, back to normal then.
---
"Please... never do anything as crazy as that again...."
"...I'll think about it."
#4OdramaRidenPosted 1/15/2014 8:15:58 PM
It's 4x harder.
---
"NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE"
-Ducky, The Land Before Time
#5yzmanPosted 1/15/2014 8:22:30 PM
Enemies may hit 4x harder, but that doesn't really make the game 4x harder.

Its hard to quantify really and would depend on the player. The more you get hit, the harder hero mode would be for you.

Think of it this way. Someone who is able to beat normal mode without getting hit would find hero mode no harder since they aren't taking damage anyway.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#6mrjack3112Posted 1/15/2014 8:35:10 PM
NintendoDudeGuy posted...
mrjack3112 posted...

Not in this one.
4x damage.

Blue tunic halves damage, red tunic quarters damage. So, back to normal then.

Really? My bad
I thought it was 2 times the damage lol
#7Goldstar42Posted 1/15/2014 9:59:23 PM
Also note that "everything hitting 4x harder" means "normal enemies at the beginning of the game will deal 2 full hearts of damage instead of 1/2 heart." The damage escalates from there for a while, but then since the a lot of the dungeons are designed to be done in any order, the difficulty eases up late in the game until you reach the final dungeon.

And of course, how difficult you find hero mode in relation to normal mode depends on how often you let the enemies hit you. By the time you finish hero mode, you'll probably have learned to dodge almost every attack anyway.
---
3DS FC: 1977-0650-3920 IGN: Joe
Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Poison (Seviper, Garbodor, Drapion)
#8Rocky2418Posted 1/15/2014 11:55:58 PM
Tanardin posted...
but if all it does is cause crap to one shot you ill probably stick to normal.

I spent a lot of hero mode playing very carefully, in extra cautious mode, because even basic enemies can, if not one-shot you, then two-shot you. Basically, you're usually very close to death, especially near the start of the game. In fact...

Goldstar42 posted...
Also note that "everything hitting 4x harder" means "normal enemies at the beginning of the game will deal 2 full hearts of damage instead of 1/2 heart."

IMO, the easiest place to die in the whole game is in the very first enemy-infested area - the trip through the sewers from the graveyard to the sanctuary. You have just 3 hearts, and no botttles; and each rat or snake or whatever takes down 2 hearts. Their movement is random (they don't charge at you, so you can't predict where they'll go), and you're in the dark - needing to light torches to see - much of the time. To me, that was extremely nasty, and the most tenuous part of hero mode. (Basically up until getting the first bottle and fairy, which doubles the number of times I could get hit from 2 to 4.)

In summary, plan on using much caution. You'll be 2 or 3 hits away from death often, especially during the first third or half of the game. That's what I found to be the case, anyway. Hope it helps. I enjoyed normal mode more, but then I'm more of a fan of less intense gameplay - that's what's fun for me.
---
"Why is it so hard? ... Why can't you just take me? ... I don't have much to go... before... I fade completely..." - Kelly Clarkson