Is this game really that bad?

#1orginalusernamePosted 3/27/2014 3:34:19 PMmessage detail
I mean I can see reasons why some people hate it but still. I think the reason why people dislike this game is because they can't handle change, or they can't get used to the game (which is understandable), or they can't handle difficulty in a platformer.
#2SonicDolphin117Posted 3/27/2014 3:42:50 PMmessage detail
I think the main reason that some people hate this game is because they aren't used to earning speed through skill. They are used to getting incredible speed by the simple press of a button. I like both styles imo but i don't like it when people say this game is slow. You have to earn speed through precision and timing with the spin dash and parkour. It isn't all that hard. Imcan agree, though, that some people may not get used to the controls easily.
---
"You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be my fake!": Shadow the Hedgehog
Gt: SonicDolphin117
#3Layton_KyoujuPosted 3/27/2014 4:16:47 PMmessage detail(edited)
No. It really isn't.
So long as you understand Sonic has been a platformer first and foremost before Sonic Adventure and its fanbase.
I wouldn't call this game a 'change', but more like a return to when Sonic had more platforming to it, with levels full of alternate paths and hidden secrets.

Personally I find that it controls smooth compared to steering or jumping in past Sonic games...

I think part of the hatred is generated due Sonic being 'rediscovered' by people who had been chanting "Sonic is bad" since the 3D transition, until Generations made it relevant to them again.
It's like, now there is this new Sonic game.
Exclusive. What?
To a Nintendo platform. What??
Wii U, that console with no games and weird controller. WHAT?
Inspired by Mario Galaxy design. WHAT??
With platforming over boost. WHAT?!

It's a recipe to be hated really. Then again it was bound to be trashed by critics due the exclusivity right after we get a Sonic game non Sonic fans like that was multiplat. And for a Nintendo console that is made a joke of by the media.
I'm sure the reception would have been significantly better had it been available for PS3 and PC.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but outside of the (fortunately patched) weird wisps controls the past 3D Sonic games had way worse control issues. It's just there wasn't enough platforming in most of them to make people realise. We just ran forward and timed our jumps or homing attacks...

I find this quite sad really. You will see more praise to that mobile auto-run Sonic game than half the 3D Sonic games.
#4orginalusername(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 4:39:14 PMmessage detail
SonicDolphin117 posted...
I think the main reason that some people hate this game is because they aren't used to earning speed through skill. They are used to getting incredible speed by the simple press of a button. I like both styles imo but i don't like it when people say this game is slow. You have to earn speed through precision and timing with the spin dash and parkour. It isn't all that hard. Imcan agree, though, that some people may not get used to the controls easily.

That's pretty much what I,am talking about. When I said people can't get used to the game I meant people couldn't accept that sonic is a platformer and you have to earn your speed through skill like the genesis games and even the advance games. Also I meant that some people can't get used to the controls which like I said is understandable.
#5Plasma EXEPosted 3/27/2014 5:17:44 PMmessage detail(edited)
It's very different from other Sonic games and expectations from people are all over the place. I'm not exactly a fan of some of the wisps though (especially that dumb music note one) and most of the bosses are disappointing. The stages were nice though and had variety. It's not like the comparison between Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's New Island where the latter definitely feels like a downgrade from Yoshi's Island because both of those go for the same kind of gameplay where as this Sonic game tries to do something different (particularly the parkour elements. Whether you like them or not is objective).
---
The official Shiki-Ouji of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
3DS FC - 2750-1413-5336. Friend Safari: Tyrogue/Sawk/Meditite
#6orginalusername(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2014 5:36:05 PMmessage detail
Plasma EXE posted...
It's very different from other Sonic games and expectations from people are all over the place. I'm not exactly a fan of some of the wisps though (especially that dumb music note one) and most of the bosses are disappointing. The stages were nice though and had variety. It's not like the comparison between Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's New Island where the latter definitely feels like a downgrade from Yoshi's Island because both of those go for the same kind of gameplay where as this Sonic game tries to do something different (particularly the parkour elements. Whether you like them or not is objective).

Well for the most part the parkour is optional.
#7BHodges080Posted 3/27/2014 8:33:57 PMmessage detail
Yes, the controls are HORRIBLE. The Wii U controller has four face buttons AND four triggers. Why on earth did they decide to use the same button for both the homing attack and the bounce attack??? I can't tell you how many times I died because I bounced when I wanted to home.

Brian
#8tuznecotePosted 3/27/2014 10:58:27 PMmessage detail
Its a mess. The level design is boring. There is no "earning speed" Sonic barely runs in this game. The Wisps are annoying and the constantly break the flow of the game not only with movement but also stupid one of levels and gimmicks.

Sonic doesn't feel fun to play. Infact he controls dreadfully despite his smoothness on flat 3D stages. The whole tunnel gimmick is boring. Bosses are dreadful and its waaay to basic as a platformer.
---
Adaptability sucks.
#9Layton_KyoujuPosted 3/28/2014 11:00:37 AMmessage detail
tuznecote posted...
There is no "earning speed" Sonic barely runs in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3jNLX8IRo
#1043past5Posted 3/28/2014 2:06:11 PMmessage detail
There's no speed in the game to earn. You just initiate a spin boost and cruise at a leisure pace. Sometimes the game will present you with a cinematic non-interactive section where the camera pans just for you to get a sense of speed. But other than that, it's pretty slow, even at its fastest.