Is this game really that bad?

#11RivhardPosted 3/28/2014 2:59:46 PM
Yeah I have pretty mixed feelings about it. Some levels are great well others are just horrible. The controls are kind of awkward, but I am willing to look past that. I hate the wisps they are all super awkward and feel pretty useless.

I really hate turning it on to get 6 messages "Here take this hope this helps.... Your inventory is full sorry what do you want to do with this junk you never use for anything"

That being said the game wasn't terrible. However, if there hadn't been such of lack of wiiu games between pikmin 3 and mario 3d land I would've been more disappointed. It was like a tiny bit of rain in a drought.

So I give it a meh out of 10
#12ultlifeformPosted 3/28/2014 3:05:28 PM
My first game ever was the original Sonic The Hedgehog, so I've been playing the series for quite a while. This is the first Sonic game I've actually enjoyed since Shadow The Hedgehog. Ever since then, the fun exploration gameplay that you could tackle at your own pace has been abandoned for what are essentially endless runners where all you do is time jumps and dodge left or right. At times, the speed was so out of control, I would lose my rings without ever even seeing what I hit. Spike ball? Enemy? I dunno, it's somewhere back there. Platforms would end with no warning, forcing memorisation of stage layouts in order to make it through.

IMO, Sonic has been long overdue for a slowdown and a return to exploration over timed jumps and memorisation. I've been playing this game since release date, and I'm still having fun exploring and finding new paths. Sonic's top speed feels perfect to me: fast, but never out of control. This game feels like a return to the Genesis days. The only thing I couldn't stand was that snowball level, but every game has a scrappy stage.
---
FC: 3110-3900-1441
Pidgey, Swanna, and Fletchinder
#13orginalusername(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 10:09:35 PM
43past5 posted...
There's no speed in the game to earn. You just initiate a spin boost and cruise at a leisure pace. Sometimes the game will present you with a cinematic non-interactive section where the camera pans just for you to get a sense of speed. But other than that, it's pretty slow, even at its fastest.

I don't exactly see where your coming from. When people (like me) say that the name of this game is earning speed we mean that it is similar to the genesis games. Also you got to see some speed runs and you will see that you do "earn speed".
#14craelonPosted 3/28/2014 10:25:28 PM
No, it's not. It's just not very veteran friendly. We all had to relearn how to play a Sonic game when it came out. Some people hate change and think Sonic games should only have a one button philosophy.
---
I declare this post a VICTORY ( ^-^ )v
#1543past5Posted 3/28/2014 11:27:37 PM
orginalusername posted...
43past5 posted...
There's no speed in the game to earn. You just initiate a spin boost and cruise at a leisure pace. Sometimes the game will present you with a cinematic non-interactive section where the camera pans just for you to get a sense of speed. But other than that, it's pretty slow, even at its fastest.

I don't exactly see where your coming from. When people (like me) say that the name of this game is earning speed we mean that it is similar to the genesis games. Also you got to see some speed runs and you will see that you do "earn speed".

I'm saying just that. The fastest method of travelling in this game is to simply spin boost which is easily initiated. You don't need to earn anything to do that, just know how it's done which the game tells you. It isn't any different than in Generations or the like, except that the boost in Generations is limited and you have to earn it in that game, unlike the spin boost in this game.
#16ClericIdolaPosted 3/28/2014 11:30:15 PM
This is by far the best 3D Sonic game and it perfectly evolves the formula of S3&K into a 3D space....

...and then the 2D stages happened.. and then those Sonic Adventure era level design choices happened...
---
"This isn't ATB. This is Command Synergy Battle... Welcome to the Future."
#17orginalusername(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 8:55:28 AM
craelon posted...
No, it's not. It's just not very veteran friendly. We all had to relearn how to play a Sonic game when it came out. Some people hate change and think Sonic games should only have a one button philosophy.

the one button philosophy is long gone. So if people haven't got used to it now they may never.
#18tuznecotePosted 3/29/2014 9:50:25 AM
Layton_Kyouju...
tuznecote posted...
There is no "earning speed" Sonic barely runs in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3jNLX8IRo

Please show me a level past level 1.
What's funny is the is 1. The reviews are spot on 2. Cobanermani pretty much moans about the same points in future playthroughs.
---
Adaptability sucks.
#19orginalusername(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 10:21:35 AM
tuznecote posted...
Layton_Kyouju...
tuznecote posted...
There is no "earning speed" Sonic barely runs in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3jNLX8IRo

Please show me a level past level 1.
What's funny is the is 1. The reviews are spot on 2. Cobanermani pretty much moans about the same points in future playthroughs.

Alright then how about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIoSNngBGQs and this is the hardest level in the game. What do you have to say now?
#20tuznecotePosted 3/29/2014 10:55:23 AM
You can't argue by slapping an automated glorified cart section. Bloody hell people. Lets get some blood pumping answers up in this gaff gawd!
---
Adaptability sucks.