What's wrong with the controls of lost world exactly?

#1orginalusernamePosted 3/28/2014 3:11:14 PM
As I,ve seen sonic lost world has been loved and hated but one thing i,ve seen that has been love or hate is the controls but no one really explains why. (I,ve only played 70% of this game so I can't give it my full thoughts.)
#2TheIastspartanPosted 3/28/2014 3:45:46 PM
I guess it's just because it takes awhile to get used to. Some people found it jarring I guess.

It's a shame too, because once you master the controls, Sonic handles the best he ever has in 3D. IMO, anyways.
#3TriforceGodsPosted 3/28/2014 8:19:06 PM
My guess would be that the game doesn't explain a lot of tricks that make the obstacles easier, so if you don't go out of your way to learn them (or find them out from someone else) then the controls come off as bad.
#4craelonPosted 3/28/2014 9:23:51 PM
They're new and some actions aren't as intuitive as what the average Sonic fan is used to. It has a more traditional platformer control layout with a run button and two different attack buttons. For the average gamer, it doesn't take long to adjust, but to the veteran Sonic player it will take some getting used to. The controls work just fine, they're just more complicated than previous games.
---
I declare this post a VICTORY ( ^-^ )v
#5Rad_DudesmanPosted 3/29/2014 2:47:32 AM
The controls are fine.

Lost World's problems stem from the level design.
---
Nintendo Network ID: raddudesman
#6Sticky_TailsPosted 3/29/2014 7:56:44 AM
The problem is they are not satisfying to use. There is no control over your speed. You have slow as molasses. You have barely faster than your typical mario game. And then you have the speedrunning speed. No middle ground between any of them which ends up just feeling sloppy and boring.
Homing attack and homing kick just adds needless complexity and a solution to a made up problem. Neither end up being fun to use because of it and the changes to the homing attack.
Parkour mechanics are pretty limited. why do the mechanics based around free running and flexibility feel so stiff and limited.

With all that said though the main problem truly is the level design. Its just bland and has no sense of flow.
#7tuznecotePosted 3/29/2014 8:44:28 AM
Sticky_Tails pretty much nailed it.
---
Adaptability sucks.
#8bulbasaurbwnagePosted 3/29/2014 3:20:55 PM
Sticky_Tails posted...
The problem is they are not satisfying to use. There is no control over your speed. You have slow as molasses. You have barely faster than your typical mario game. And then you have the speedrunning speed. No middle ground between any of them which ends up just feeling sloppy and boring.
Homing attack and homing kick just adds needless complexity and a solution to a made up problem.

One button press. WHOA! That makes homing attack soooooo complex!

And no control over speed? Really? Because generations totally didn't have only 2 speeds and horrible turning controls.
---
Let me tell you two useful pieces of information. One: This is memetic. Two: This is a mutation.
#9orginalusername(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 5:57:17 PM
Sticky_Tails posted...
Homing attack and homing kick just adds needless complexity and a solution to a made up problem. Neither end up being fun to use because of it and the changes to the homing attack.
Parkour mechanics are pretty limited. why do the mechanics based around free running and flexibility feel so stiff and limited.

With all that said though the main problem truly is the level design. Its just bland and has no sense of flow.

As much as I can respect your opinion, I gotta say what?, I mean unleashed-generations didn't have any control over speed it was either fast or faster and second I think your mostly complaining about the overall speed, well I don't if you noticed but this game was meant to be slower from past sonic games everybody knew before it's release and is mostly supposed to be more of a platformer so of course sonic's going to be slower.
#10G-Force88Posted 3/29/2014 8:05:41 PM
Well, let me see if I can put together some criticisms.

-"Normal" movement speed exists in a weird ass paradox where it feels painfully slow in spite of the fact that you are actually moving at a decent pace.

-"Dashing" speed sucks because your speed disappears whenever you even think about making a turn.

-Sonic games shouldn't even need a dash button in the first place.

-There's a stupid rolling move that exists solely for crossing "sticky floors," which are in themselves completely stupid and arbitrary.

-There's a dedicated spin dash button that can't even fully charge a spin dash. To do that, you need to mash a jump button while holding the spin dash button, which largely defeats the point of having a dedicated spin dash button.

-After more than a decade of tweaking and refining the same style of homing attack, they decided to completely throw that out in favor of a stupid, fully automated, self chaining version, that literally doesn't work unless you completely stop trying to do things and let it set itself up.

-They added in the ability to lock on to single enemy more than once, creating a "more powerful" homing attack. This is completely pointless for the overwhelming majority of the game, except for a single boss fight which literally impossible to finish without remembering this otherwise useless move.

-There's also the homing kick, which seems to exist solely so that you can't rely on your normal homing attack, because that would apparently be too simple and straightforward.

About the only thing they did with the controls that I actually like is that they put together a decent version of the bounce attack.
---
Nintendo Network ID: G-ForceSP
Just imagine that you see some really funny quote here.