Yes there are dedicated servers

#1FusionCPosted 6/16/2013 10:36:34 AM
Just so we can clear this up and we dont have to see all these people spreading false information. Xbox one will have dedicated servers for all online multiplayer games. Here is the source

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/05/xbox-one/
---
For the Horde!!!!
#2ripvisionPosted 6/17/2013 12:32:39 AM
FusionC posted...
Just so we can clear this up and we dont have to see all these people spreading false information. Xbox one will have dedicated servers for all online multiplayer games. Here is the source

Not confirmed that Ghosts will have dedicated servers but still good news.
#3FusionC(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 8:39:57 AM
ripvision posted...
FusionC posted...

Not confirmed that Ghosts will have dedicated servers but still good news.

Well the linked article does say every multiplayer title.
---
For the Horde!!!!
#4Deadmeat20Posted 6/17/2013 8:59:58 AM
And all it took was for Microsoft to pay for and operate the servers. Activision wouldn't have dedicated servers if it wasn't for MS funding the whole thing. BTW, will 300k servers be enough for all of the players playing every game?
---
GT: Bloodredtyrant
I brainstorm with my multiple personalities.
#5FusionC(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 10:12:46 AM
Deadmeat20 posted...
And all it took was for Microsoft to pay for and operate the servers. Activision wouldn't have dedicated servers if it wasn't for MS funding the whole thing. BTW, will 300k servers be enough for all of the players playing every game?

Well one actual server box can host multiple instances of a game server. For instance when I ran my own Dayz server, the server box I hosted from hosted about 20 other complete versions and thats a much larger under taking than 1 match of CoD.
---
For the Horde!!!!
#6RapaleemanPosted 6/17/2013 10:57:31 AM
FusionC posted...

While that may be true, it doesn't exactly say what sort of things that the servers will host/do for each game. It could be just a server for shared processing of data or online storage like the game films and recording nonsense that only the people who think they are going to earn millions on youtube are going to care about.

For example, according to the GiantBombcast and one of the designers from Microsoft they had guest, Forza 5 is actually using their servers for processing and building the driveavatar thing when the players are online. No mention of online racing on dedicated servers though it being a first party release it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case.

There in lies the rub. CoD Ghosts is a multiplatform and even a multigenerational release. I have my serious doubts that Activision and Infinity Ward will create a version explicitly for the XBone using Microsoft's servers when the PS4 shares roughly the same code without dedicated servers. If that was the case then they would have to buy and house servers only for the PS4 variant while using Microsoft's servers for the XBone (and more than likely staying P2P on the 360, PS3, and Wii U). That is a lot of work for two different versions of essentially the same game that frankly seems a little too optimistic.

The only solution that seems truly realistic for next gen systems given Activision's past (though I would love to be pleasently surprised) is that they house both PS4 and XBone servers themselves (unlikely in my opinion) or remain P2P with hopefully optimized cloud code to help the games run as smooth as possible as both the PS4 and Xbone support cloud computing.
---
"Cover your receptors Perceptor."
Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.
#7FusionC(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 12:12:31 PM
Rapaleeman posted...
FusionC posted...

While that may be true, it doesn't exactly say what sort of things that the servers will host/do for each game. It could be just a server for shared processing of data or online storage like the game films and recording nonsense that only the people who think they are going to earn millions on youtube are going to care about.

For example, according to the GiantBombcast and one of the designers from Microsoft they had guest, Forza 5 is actually using their servers for processing and building the driveavatar thing when the players are online. No mention of online racing on dedicated servers though it being a first party release it wouldn't surprise me if that is the case.

There in lies the rub. CoD Ghosts is a multiplatform and even a multigenerational release. I have my serious doubts that Activision and Infinity Ward will create a version explicitly for the XBone using Microsoft's servers when the PS4 shares roughly the same code without dedicated servers. If that was the case then they would have to buy and house servers only for the PS4 variant while using Microsoft's servers for the XBone (and more than likely staying P2P on the 360, PS3, and Wii U). That is a lot of work for two different versions of essentially the same game that frankly seems a little too optimistic.

The only solution that seems truly realistic for next gen systems given Activision's past (though I would love to be pleasently surprised) is that they house both PS4 and XBone servers themselves (unlikely in my opinion) or remain P2P with hopefully optimized cloud code to help the games run as smooth as possible as both the PS4 and Xbone support cloud computing.

"dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participantís console" That seems pretty clear. Dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer
---
For the Horde!!!!
#8RapaleemanPosted 6/17/2013 12:33:18 PM
FusionC posted...

"dedicated servers for every multiplayer game rather than the notoriously fragile practice of hosting matches on one participantís console" That seems pretty clear. Dedicated servers instead of peer-to-peer

In your extremely narrow-minded and want to obviously be right or throw out a zinger, you clearly missed or could not comprehend the very first sentence in the said paragraph you are quoting as pure fact. That is: "Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoftís Azure cloud computing platform."

Meaning that devs can choose to use them or not. It does not confirm nor deny whether any or every game will be using dedicated servers. That paragraph then goes on to speculate the possibilities which sound great but are not confirmed anywhere by the devs or even Microsoft people.

Look. I want dedicated servers as much as the rest since BF3, despite its flaws, was a great title. Servers, outside of the obvious cash grab of the rentals, work really well and are pretty stable.

The fact is, looking at Activision's track record, dedicated servers seem like a stretch at this moment. Especially since Infinity Ward is really being oddly coy about multiplayer and the simple fact that Ghosts is going to be on pretty much everything when it releases. I'm actually surprised this is no Vita version or 3DS version announced.
---
"Cover your receptors Perceptor."
Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.
#9FusionC(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 4:57:40 PM
Rapaleeman posted...
FusionC posted...

In your extremely narrow-minded and want to obviously be right or throw out a zinger, you clearly missed or could not comprehend the very first sentence in the said paragraph you are quoting as pure fact. That is: "Perhaps most intriguing, however, is that Xbox One gives game developers the ability to access Microsoftís Azure cloud computing platform."

Meaning that devs can choose to use them or not. It does not confirm nor deny whether any or every game will be using dedicated servers. That paragraph then goes on to speculate the possibilities which sound great but are not confirmed anywhere by the devs or even Microsoft people.

Look. I want dedicated servers as much as the rest since BF3, despite its flaws, was a great title. Servers, outside of the obvious cash grab of the rentals, work really well and are pretty stable.

The fact is, looking at Activision's track record, dedicated servers seem like a stretch at this moment. Especially since Infinity Ward is really being oddly coy about multiplayer and the simple fact that Ghosts is going to be on pretty much everything when it releases. I'm actually surprised this is no Vita version or 3DS version announced.

Here you go, from a different editor

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/22/xbox-one-faq

Will Xbox One use dedicated servers for multiplayer games?
Yes. Microsoft has 300,000 servers in place for the Xbox One's launch and games are no longer hosted on a player's own Xbox console. If you've ever felt the frustration of a multiplayer match ending because the host switched their console off, prepare to be thankful it'll not happen anymore.

Thats not speculation or open to interpretation. Its about as black and white as it gets.
---
For the Horde!!!!
#10Webmaster4531Posted 6/17/2013 7:10:49 PM
FusionC posted...
Rapaleeman posted...
FusionC posted...

Here you go, from a different editor

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-05/22/xbox-one-faq

Will Xbox One use dedicated servers for multiplayer games?
Yes. Microsoft has 300,000 servers in place for the Xbox One's launch and games are no longer hosted on a player's own Xbox console. If you've ever felt the frustration of a multiplayer match ending because the host switched their console off, prepare to be thankful it'll not happen anymore.

Thats not speculation or open to interpretation. Its about as black and white as it gets.

That just shows Wired is a terrible publication.
---
Ad Hominem.