Squads mode offline

#1OMGAlienPosted 8/21/2013 11:07:22 AM
The new squads mode looks rather promising with multiple modes of play, the ability to customize your own squad and improved AI. However, I have a few questions regarding the mode:

1) Do you have the ability to play it solo offline (without having to connect online)? MW 3's spec ops mode lets you play a majority of the missions and the survival mode solo offline so I hope it is the same case with Ghosts' Squads mode.

2) Does it support offline split screen multiplayer?

3) I know that the XP you gain in Squads mode counts towards online multiplayer progression but does the XP count if you play offline solo or split screen?

I have been trying to find information on the aforementioned fronts but details have been sketchy regarding offline support.
#2Ice WeaselPosted 8/21/2013 12:06:53 PM
I honestly don't know but I would assume that in order to earn XP you have to at least be logged in to the COD servers. But that's really just speculation on my part.
#3skyemc2004Posted 8/22/2013 4:47:45 AM
I'd also like to know if it supports split-screen play.
#4OMGAlien(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 5:25:09 AM
Ice Weasel posted...
I honestly don't know but I would assume that in order to earn XP you have to at least be logged in to the COD servers. But that's really just speculation on my part.

I suppose that will most likely be the case. Squads mode looks to be an evolution of Combat Training from Black Ops 2 judging from the information released thus far so it may most likely operate much in the same way when it comes to gaining XP. However, it could also have a unified system where you gain XP while playing online or offline without requiring to be connected to the online servers. Games like Brink, FEAR 3 and The Conduit 2 featured a unified progression system where you gained XP for playing single player, online and offline multiplayer/bot modes.

Here are some excerpts from an interesting article regarding Squads which suggest that it will be possible to play solo against bots in some of the modes.

"Once you have a Squad, you can play with them either solo, co-op or competitively in four different Squad-based modes".

"The second is Wargame, which pits you and your team of five AI soldiers against a team of bots this mode can utilize any gametype available in the core competitive multiplayer experience. Then there's Safeguard, which pits your Squad against waves of AI enemies".

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/14/4621566/how-call-of-duty-ghosts-squad-modes-let-you-build-an-ai-army

However, the answer to whether you can do this offline seems a bit hazy at this point. Anyway, I liked the unlockables and create a class system attached to Black Ops 2's campaign. This is because it encouraged replay value and allowed you to tackle missions with the weapons/equipment you prefer so I hope it returns in Ghosts. Has there been any mention of it being featured in Ghosts?
#5Ice WeaselPosted 8/22/2013 5:29:17 AM
OMGAlien posted...
Ice Weasel posted...

However, the answer to whether you can do this offline seems a bit hazy at this point. Anyway, I liked the unlockables and create a class system attached to Black Ops 2's campaign. This is because it encouraged replay value and allowed you to tackle missions with the weapons/equipment you prefer so I hope it returns in Ghosts. Has there been any mention of it being featured in Ghosts?

Haven't heard any mention of that but they've also been focusing almost exclusively on MP info these days. Kind of the opposite of the old days where we were starved for any little tidbit of information about MP, lol.
#6OMGAlien(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 5:49:49 AM
Ice Weasel posted...
OMGAlien posted...
Ice Weasel posted...

Haven't heard any mention of that but they've also been focusing almost exclusively on MP info these days. Kind of the opposite of the old days where we were starved for any little tidbit of information about MP, lol.

Many FPS games nowadays focus primarily on online multiplayer and do not properly cater to gamers under different circumstances or with specific preferences since options other than online multiplayer (solo campaigns, offline split screen content, bot support, single player unlockables/replay incentives etc.) are often rather bare bones or thrown in as an afterthought. More effort definitely needs to be placed on the offline component of contemporary FPS games.

While I play online occasionally, I prefer to play offline split screen against friends in the same room and also face off against bots alone. You can call me old school but I have always enjoyed single player campaigns, offline multiplayer and solo action against bots more than online. This is why appreciated what Treyarch had offered in terms of offline content for Black Ops II with the branching paths, create a class system and challenges in the campaign, the Tranzit/Survival modes in Zombies which are playable solo offline and the multiplayer bot modes in Black Ops II.

A mode like Squads is great for a number of reasons particularly if it offers offline options. In this case, it allows you to practice and get familiar with the content (maps, weapons, upgrades and mechanics) at your own pace before heading into the highly competitive online component. It provides options beyond the 5 hour campaign for players who have an unreliable internet connection, lack internet access, do not have a subscription to Xbox live or prefer to play offline. It also lets you relive and enjoy the awesome days of gaming on the N64 where you could play solo against bots or with friends through split screen in games like Perfect Dark and Battletanx: Global Assault.