Would it be right to say Bungie now favors Playstation over Microsoft?

#21ExiledExDeathPosted 8/19/2014 5:23:12 PM
TrueThrilla posted...

Also Competition is NEVER a bad thing. When companies and corporations have to compete for revenue its usually the one and only time the consumer wins. IJS

Ah the great talking point of capitalism and the free market, that competition always benefits the consumer.

Some of you may be surprised to learn that I'm actually a business major. I received my AAS in Business Administration this spring, and am returning next week to work towards my BA. I denounce and reject the notion that competition has no flaws, or that anything you do to profit is justifiable. I love the concept of business, wealth creation, job creation, all the great things which it has brought us, but I refuse to be blind to the flaws.

You know, when I was in the Army, I loved Starbucks. Most of my platoon did. We were absolutely thrilled when we were still able to occasionally visit them in Iraq.
One day I learned of what Starbucks had done with my favorite drink, that Strawberry crème thing, I forget what it's called, I haven't been in years. Any way, in order to give their STRAWBERRY drink its color, you know what they used? Not the obvious answer of strawberries, that would make too much sense. No, they used these ground up bugs. After learning what Starbucks is happy to sell their customers, I never returned.

Now, did Starbucks do this because it was what the customer wanted, or did competition force them to cut corners in such a fashion?

When game companies compete and chop up the game into DLCs, along with adding in paywalls and microtransactions, does the consumer really benefit?

I bought GTA5 day one, and had a blast. The online component had microtransactions. They wanted players to basically spend real money to get fake money. "No big deal" I thought, "It's only been 2 weeks and already I've done everything in the single player, and was able to afford all weapons." Now this wouldn't be a problem, except for upon entering multiplayer for the first time (By which, I mean the dozenth time because of their forced multiplayer tutortial), I learned that buying a knife was 3x more expensive than it was in single player. You were also heavily penalized for many things which you weren't in single player. Dying in a PvP match resulted in me losing money, while it was earned at a snail's pace compared to performing the exact same action in single player. Rockstar deliberately added in as many roadblocks as they could (Figurative, not literal) to coerce the player into finally giving in and spending real world money.
Sure buying in game content is optional, but did I have the option to not have my multiplayer experience ruined by this BS? No, all those extra roadblocks were added in without my consent.

Yep, GTA5 competing with other titles sure did me a world of good. After the BS with the tutorial, and seeing how much they nickel and dime you in multiplayer, I never went back, which is a shame because the single player was amazing.

When Bungie/Activision gave timed exclusive content to the PS4, did we XBOne consumers benefit from that? Nope, not at all. That competition actually made us relatively worse off. I personally had 7 long term XBL friends jump ship to the PS4 solely because of this reason. Yep, the competition sure was amazing when it forced me to choose between one group of friends and another in deciding which console to get.

Those are just my personal examples, I could honestly write a book on this if I cared. I already know it wouldn't sell much because here in the US we worship corporations. Hell we love them so much we made special laws allowing them to legally bribe our politicians.

Yay competition!
---
Leader of the Exiled Guardians, Seeker of Knowledge, and Father of Wolves
Skilled players join my Destiny clan here http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/124787
#22TrueThrillaPosted 8/20/2014 6:13:51 AM
Whoa Whoa Whoa. I was talking about consoles not crack in a coffee mug.LOL!!! Also DLC would not constitute competition because there are no companies competing. Its just the jackup business model of whatever game company you purchased from. If you had friends jump ship because of some timed exclusive content it happens. I'm pretty sure PS4 lost some players when Killer Instinct was only on XBONE.

ExiledExDeath posted...
Those are just my personal examples, I could honestly write a book on this if I cared. I already know it wouldn't sell much because here in the US we worship corporations. Hell we love them so much we made special laws allowing them to legally bribe our politicians.

This statement is so true I had to quote. LOL!!!
---
timed jumps. Dude. We've all played sonic & Mario. I think we can handle jumping on platforms that disappear....MikePaw1 circa 2014
#23PyjamaHeroPosted 8/20/2014 7:00:22 AM
I never cared about any of this stuff. My parents are extremely cynical and always told me everyone in business essentially only cares about your money. They aren't your friend and never believe otherwise. Since that's the case I've never been surprised what companies do to make money.

As an aside, though, the bug thing is a little disingenuous. That ingredient has been used for 100's of years to color tons of food products and is listed by the FDA. If you're vegan you might have some reason to be upset but unless you're going to go on a crusade to out every food or drink maker who uses the ingredient you aren't being very honest about how it affected you.
---
"But I am I. And I won't subordinate my taste to the unanimous judgment of mankind."
#24ExiledExDeathPosted 8/20/2014 7:32:31 AM
PyjamaHero posted...

As an aside, though, the bug thing is a little disingenuous. That ingredient has been used for 100's of years to color tons of food products and is listed by the FDA. If you're vegan you might have some reason to be upset but unless you're going to go on a crusade to out every food or drink maker who uses the ingredient you aren't being very honest about how it affected you.

Are you familiar with the phrase "Ignorance is bliss"?
Once I know about it, I can no longer enjoy it.

Besides, if they needed to color their drink, they could've just put in more strawberries and charged a dollar more, it isn't like anybody drinks at Starbucks because they're cheap. They're known for their expensive drinks, there was no reason to cut corners and add bugs when they could've used fruit and then charge us for it. Hell, this was prior to the recession too, it isn't like Starbucks needed to do that or risk bankruptcy.
---
Leader of the Exiled Guardians, Seeker of Knowledge, and Father of Wolves
Skilled players join my Destiny clan here http://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/124787
#25PyjamaHeroPosted 8/20/2014 8:40:25 AM
I don't blame you in the least. I'm simply very desensitized from years of exposure to Chinese food, so I suppose I'm not as qualified to judge someone's reaction to this. I honestly just shrugged.
---
"But I am I. And I won't subordinate my taste to the unanimous judgment of mankind."