Collectors edition poll

#1coolestkid6Posted 2/27/2014 11:32:19 AM
What Collectors editions would you prefer? - Results (65 votes)
Metal Case and Limited Edition Strategy guide?
20% (13 votes)
Artbook and Figurine?
70.77% (46 votes)
Other.(Post about it)
9.23% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I pose this question because I personally dislike collectors editions lately. They never seem to have what I want. Which one would you guys prefer. Or which one would you suggest.
---
Currently immersed within the vast world of rpg gaming =)
#2HaLLuZiNaTiOnZsPosted 2/27/2014 11:41:08 AM
Assuming we're talking a $59.99 release of a new game.

- Artbook
- Figure
- Real In-Game item, or item with video game logo (Like Infamous back pack, mirrors edge bag, AC Flag)

Price? $89.99 or $99.99, assuming the real in game item isn't something tiny like a coin.
---
I'm sleepy.
#3HolyLancer9Posted 2/27/2014 11:45:48 AM
I think the Xillia and Symphonia CEs (especially the latter) are both quite good.

My absolute favorite thing when it comes to games is artbooks. So, #1 priority is an artbook of some sort. The bigger, the better. Even better if it is hard-bound, or has a thicker cover.

Steelbook cases are next. I absolutely love them as well. I don't really use them to be honest (mostly because they tend to get scratched easily) but I always like the look, and the idea of a more "collectible" case for the game.

Figures are neat, but I can live without them. Most figures that come with CEs are pretty cheap anyway. They're nice, definitely not the worst thing to include. Even though everyone whines that the Millia figure isn't as good as the Alter figure, what do you expect? I thought the Milla figure was one of the better figures from a CE that I can remember getting.

CDs/Soundtracks are....probably my least favorite thing. I think they're the laziest thing to include in a special, or collector's or limited edition. People generally think they're great, but CDs are so freaking cheap to stamp, that it literally costs almost nothing extra to make them. If they're included as a freebie then that's fine, but if they charge extra, it is pretty lame. Any time I hear about a soundtrack being included with a game, I roll my eyes. Lazy.

Often times there are things in CEs I'm sort of indifferent on. Things like cards, or weird odds-and-ends, that I feel like "ok, that's kinda neat I guess...but what's the point?" Things that surprise me, or are kind of unique are always nice, though, like the book the ToS CE comes with.

For a prime example of a game that came with a lot of really cool stuff, and a lot of really useless stuff, see the old Arc the Lad collection for the PS1. Hardbound leather manual at 100+ page, with a bunch of art and stuff in it....along with a bunch of weird, cardboard-cutouts of the characters (they looked like board-game pieces) and thumb-covers for the PS1 analogue sticks. Just weird stuff...but that hardcover book was great. And the collection was only $70 and had not only all that stuff, but also had 4 games in it.
---
http://www.zibaricon.org/
Randomness. Awesomeness. And comics.
#4coolestkid6(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2014 11:50:02 AM
While artbooks are neat. Its like Ok I'll look at this once and never touch it again. Not only will I most likely use the strategy guide for the entirety of the game I'll also be able to brag its limited edition.

Metal cases are just awesome. Nothing looks better to me than a metal case. The plastic one I got symphonia in literally almost fell apart when I opened it.
---
Currently immersed within the vast world of rpg gaming =)
#5HolyLancer9Posted 2/27/2014 11:56:50 AM(edited)
coolestkid6 posted...
While artbooks are neat. Its like Ok I'll look at this once and never touch it again. Not only will I most likely use the strategy guide for the entirety of the game I'll also be able to brag its limited edition.

Metal cases are just awesome. Nothing looks better to me than a metal case. The plastic one I got symphonia in literally almost fell apart when I opened it.

I love artbooks. I've actually gone out of my way and bought several of the artbooks for the old Tales games. I don't think I've bought any since Abyss, but I need to get back in, because there are some absolutely awesome artbooks out there for the Xillia games, and Vesperia and stuff.

I could probably go and spend like, $500 right now, just catching up on artbooks, scenario books, and other game/lore related books that I've missed in the last 5 years or so.

EDIT: I guess when it comes down to it, when you're paying extra, I would hope that they actually put some thought into what they're including. Not just shoving in some cheap crap to inflate the price.

I feel the Tales CEs so far have made the nearly doubled prices with it. They even put out that Limited Edition with a bunch of extra stuff in for the early run of Xillia, which was pretty nice all on its own.
---
#6CrazyBilkesPosted 2/27/2014 12:20:26 PM
For a good quality CE I have no problem paying 100 bucks, but I expect it to have some substance to it. My ideal CE includes:

Game (obviously)
Figure(s) of some sort
Steelbook
Artbook (doesn't matter what size)
and some good packaging

Soundtracks are a plus, but I'm not bummed out if it doesn't come with it. So pretty much, ToSC is my ideal CE :)
#7Dark2Posted 2/27/2014 12:28:23 PM
artbook
toy

soundtrack and DLC costumes are pointless for me. Manual should go to both SE, LE, and CE.
#8InhorealistiPosted 2/27/2014 12:31:57 PM
I would prefer equal treatment to Na & Eu customers for every collector editions. Namco Bandai (also others) should instruct to limit collector edition orders to 2 (maybe 3) per customer.
#9HolyLancer9Posted 2/27/2014 12:59:29 PM
Inhorealisti posted...
I would prefer equal treatment to Na & Eu customers for every collector editions. Namco Bandai (also others) should instruct to limit collector edition orders to 2 (maybe 3) per customer.

I would say not more than 2 per person. I can understand reserving one for a friend, or a family member, or one "to open" and one to "keep sealed" (though, that's kind of silly...) But anything more than that, and you're just trying to flip them. Give other people a chance to get one at a fair price.
---
#10InhorealistiPosted 2/27/2014 1:05:19 PM
HolyLancer9 posted...
Inhorealisti posted...

I would say not more than 2 per person. I can understand reserving one for a friend, or a family member, or one "to open" and one to "keep sealed" (though, that's kind of silly...) But anything more than that, and you're just trying to flip them. Give other people a chance to get one at a fair price.

I would say it depends how big print it is & how many vendors are able to sell it. Also need to remember that some vendors might pack them poorly (or initial shipment).