Congladurations, you're a Tales character - Part VI

#121lowell666Posted 5/16/2014 3:57:50 PM
Alright, Lowell's back chumps! It's summer time, and you know what that means? I'm gonna head out to the beach, and I'm gonna do some beachy things!

So get ready for me to once again flood this board with pointless posts and self centered stories
---
To my surprise and delight, I find myself totally entranced by Child of Light
#122Zombies_OnlinePosted 5/16/2014 4:20:09 PM
Yo, welcome back, Three 6. I'm 'bout to go see Godzilla. You comin'?
---
At the zombie dance, nobody moves.
#123Frozen_Blades81Posted 5/16/2014 4:32:16 PM
Cole: http://static---toynk.app-hosted.com/media/img/toynk/W1000-H1500-Bffffff/C/00839_purple_leopard_pimp_suit_costume_adult.jpg with a cape and without the sunglasses.

Elaine: http://www.pettipond.com/laterimages/bouffant%20gowns/022309.jpg

There we go.

Boss profiles and music suggestions coming soon.
---
"We are professionals, and we will decide this, as professionals" *Cue motorcycle jousting battle*.
#124pondrthisPosted 5/16/2014 4:42:11 PM
lol, I was fine with Elaine having the mannish outfit. I just knew it would be to her chagrin. Although it's equally funny to see that she would wear a tacky prom dress, since that is pretty much the epitome of girls trying to overcompensate for their unsteady identity as a woman.

You know, prom dress as opposed to cocktail dress. The former is poofy, shiny, and basically a fairytale princess costume, while the latter is actually elegant. It kinda fits Elaine in a way that will definitely cause her to feel embarrassed when she compares her outfit to all the other girls'.

Elaine is probably the only character for which either a) nice elegant ladies' wear b) tacky ladies' wear or c) men's formal wear will work interchangeably.

I was expecting Cole to end up with like a pink tux, but oh my word.
---
Holy pickled meatloaf! - Anise, on ugly monsters
I-I'm plenty quirky, right? - Elaine, on backups
#125Milla_Maxwell(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 4:55:51 PM(edited)
Frozen_Blades81 posted...
Here are the promised formal costume alternatives:

-Prince: This (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/BLW_Man%27s_Court_Coat_and_Waistcoat.jpg), white suit pants, black boots and black gloves.

-Celesta: A black, open-back dress with a rose above the left breast, silver high-heels with green jewels, black elbow gloves with rose petals covering the wrists and this hat (http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=48852376).

Jordan: A black frock coat, black suit pants, a white glove on his right hand, white boots and a left side cape (think Ezio from Assassin's Creed) with the Reverant flag as its pattern.

Anise: A white Chinese dress with gold markings, white elbow gloves, white high-heels and a few jewels in the front and back of the dress.

Robbie: A white tuxedo with a black bow-tie, black gloves and black boots. He later gets a hole for his tail to pop out.

Skylar: A black ball gown with black detached sleeves, black high-heels with gold markings and this hat (http://www.dhresource.com/albu_488578981_00-1.200x200/women-dress-hat-satin-dress-hat-fashion-dress.jpg)

Cole: A white buttoned shirt, a black unbuttoned blazer, black suit pants, black boots and a black tie.

Elaine: A dark blue pea coat with a white fur neck, black suit pants and white boots.

Zien: A chesterfield coat, white gloves, black suit pants and black boots.

These are really damn great, I applaud your fashion sense.

10/10

pondrthis posted...
Robbie doesn't want to be dressed up at all.

Hur, hur, hur, hur.

Frozen_Blades81 posted...
Personal opinions:

-Costumes: They should work exactly like in Xillia. Attachments should be present as well, but there should be more slots (I'd say, 3 head slots and 6 body slots. They could also be infinite for total customization freedom).

-flight: We should have one. I'm leaning more towards an airship that's fully explorable (or at least the deck, I like midair ship decks).

-Costumes: If we're going to do that, we may as well just tie them to titles like in Vesperia and have the titles not effect Gameplay like Abyss and Symphonia, just to have some of the titles we gain actually do SOMETHING as opposed to just being there. I'm against the 3 total freedom thing, there's a reason that wasn't there in the Xillias, because that would cause slowdown up the ass if you place too much. Nine different slots for the attachments seems okay, I'm indifferent on Hairstyles, since they won't be very varied for Robbie to begin with.

-Flight: An actual controllable airship, none of that s*** from Graces, I don't think you should be able to fully explore it, maybe there can be some plot points where you can explore it outside of a cutscene, but it seems like being able to explore it would be one of two things:

A: Pointless, because why bother since nothing's there and it's huge.

B: It will have shops and then town shops will become pointless.

An alternative is just a few smaller rooms and the Airship isn't a massive thing, with you party hanging around and you can talk to them and they'd say some stuff about what's going on in the plot, or just general stuff.
---
"and then the earth and the sky they all fit together
and carry me away as light as a feather."
#126Martel568Posted 5/16/2014 5:05:52 PM
Or people could buy costumes in stores all over the world, like in Arc Rise Fantasia :D Of course, they would be much less. And as in ARF, the cameo costumes could be found around the field agter a certain point, and school outfits would be found in some school in the biggest city
---
To people that want to commit suicide: Don't do it! Tales of Xillia 2 hasn't come out yet!
#127pondrthisPosted 5/16/2014 5:15:32 PM(edited)
Hahaha, leave it to Milla to actually consider CPU capabilities in our hypothetical fan game! XD

I kinda agree with Milla about using the titles for costumes and having them not affect gameplay. Trying to balance getting good titles at a low level with leveling enough to gain those titles really nagged at me as an optimizer every time I thought about it in Symphonia. It felt like I shouldn't be leveling, which is an annoying thought in an RPG.

I do like the attachment slots where you can move everything about. You should see my Alvin with the earmuffs turned black as headphones around his neck, or Milla with the halo turned pink as a headband and the choke collar as a garter.

I don't particularly care about airships or world maps, but I can see Milla's argument about fully exploring it being a possibly bad move. I think there are some potential workarounds, though... in addition to being a place where the party can discuss their thoughts with Prince about various mission objectives, why not add a side quest involving BUILDING/STOCKING the shops in the airship?

Revisiting city shops to trade items and enable new gear/items to be sold on the airship would become a late-game activity. Some of the best weapons and armor could be acquired by long trading sequences that enable other items to be sold on the airship along the way. For example, you need to return to the first town to get access to the cheapest apple gels (key item: Crate of Apple Gels, not Y x Apple Gel), then sell them at a later town to unlock the item at the airship store.

After unlocking all gels, a high-end accessory is sold. After unlocking all "TP conservation" accessories, an extremely powerful weapon for Robbie (as an offensive caster who chugs through TP) is unlocked. Unlocking all water resistance accessories unlocks a ridiculous armor for Jordan for sale, etc.

Thoughts?
---
Holy pickled meatloaf! - Anise, on ugly monsters
I-I'm plenty quirky, right? - Elaine, on backups
#128Milla_Maxwell(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2014 5:45:44 PM(edited)
pondrthis posted...
Hahaha, leave it to Milla to actually consider CPU capabilities in our hypothetical fan game! XD

I kinda agree with Milla about using the titles for costumes and having them not affect gameplay. Trying to balance getting good titles at a low level with leveling enough to gain those titles really nagged at me as an optimizer every time I thought about it in Symphonia. It felt like I shouldn't be leveling, which is an annoying thought in an RPG.

It's a lot more satisfying to get a pop up in the middle of the screen that says: "_____ gained the title: ______" with a nice fanfare, as opposed to it just being a tiny pop up in the bottom corner with a generic chime that happens for about everything else like in Xillia.

pondrthis posted...
I don't particularly care about airships or world maps, but I can see Milla's argument about fully exploring it being a possibly bad move. I think there are some potential workarounds, though... in addition to being a place where the party can discuss their thoughts with Prince about various mission objectives, why not add a side quest involving BUILDING/STOCKING the shops in the airship?

Revisiting city shops to trade items and enable new gear/items to be sold on the airship would become a late-game activity. Some of the best weapons and armor could be acquired by long trading sequences that enable other items to be sold on the airship along the way. For example, you need to return to the first town to get access to the cheapest apple gels (key item: Crate of Apple Gels, not Y x Apple Gel), then sell them at a later town to unlock the item at the airship store.

After unlocking all gels, a high-end accessory is sold. After unlocking all "TP conservation" accessories, an extremely powerful weapon for Robbie (as an offensive caster who chugs through TP) is unlocked. Unlocking all water resistance accessories unlocks a ridiculous armor for Jordan for sale, etc.

Thoughts?

I think that sounds needlessly complicated having to trade crap around five million times, it would be like those stupid trading flowers in Wind Waker, needlessly tedious. There should still be a reason to visit shops in the cities, even if it was something as simple as only making the Airship sell basic stuff like the gels and panacea/life bottles, you shouldn't be able to just buy stuff like Specifics, Treats and Elixers and render every shop pointless once doing that. I think the best weapons should be gotten as side quest rewards as opposed to just stuff that you can get from shops after certain requirements are met.

Martel568 posted...
Or people could buy costumes in stores all over the world, like in Arc Rise Fantasia :D Of course, they would be much less. And as in ARF, the cameo costumes could be found around the field agter a certain point, and school outfits would be found in some school in the biggest city

Ehhhhhhh... No.

That would just make costumes a main gimmick and would be shooting their default clothing designs (the ones we all worked to create,) in the foot. Costumes are supposed to be a special little thing that you can get a few from sidequests, not crap thrown around all over the place, and if costumes were just thrown around like they're going out of style like that, then there is no possible way that every costume would be able to get a cutscene related to it and they'll just be there for the sake of whoring out costumes.
---
"and then the earth and the sky they all fit together
and carry me away as light as a feather."
#129lowell666Posted 5/16/2014 8:02:48 PM
Zombies_Online posted...

Damn that's today!? I know what I'm doing tomorrow after work
---
To my surprise and delight, I find myself totally entranced by Child of Light
#130Zombies_OnlinePosted 5/16/2014 9:25:55 PM
Ha! Maybe not that loud, Frozen.

lowell666 posted...
Zombies_Online posted...

Damn that's today!? I know what I'm doing tomorrow after work

Yeah, dude, just got back. S***'s so f*****' sick. F***. I'm hella biased, but I liked it better than Captain America and Spider-man, personally. S*** was so good it made my d*** hurt.
---
At the zombie dance, nobody moves.