Congladurations, you're a Tales character - Part VI

#21Zombies_OnlinePosted 5/11/2014 4:39:48 PM
That's pretty similar to what I thought of for Asion. I always saw him and Roman as opposites as well, which is why I proposed he be the "Alexei", or the game's big sub-villain. His goals clash with Roman's, while of course the party clashes with both of them. As for how he's introduced, it can be happenstance that the party encounters him, potentially while his and Roman's forces are doing battle. I also see him attempting to lure Skylar over to his side and trying to get her to betray the party, as for when his events take place, I see it largely being during part two. I figure part three will mainly be the conclusion of all the sub arcs, such as rivalries and loyalty quests, etc.

As for Maxwell, while you've certainly got a good idea, I don't think party characters from other games should ever have substantial story roles in future games. They're best kept to cameos and sidestories, in my opinion.
---
At the zombie dance, nobody moves.
#22Frozen_Blades81Posted 5/11/2014 8:48:39 PM
Zombies_Online posted...
As for Maxwell, while you've certainly got a good idea, I don't think party characters from other games should ever have substantial story roles in future games. They're best kept to cameos and sidestories, in my opinion.

Then what would you think of giving her a smaller role (while still being important) or hiding her identity during her moment like with Veigue in Graces?
---
"We are professionals, and we will decide this, as professionals" *Cue motorcycle jousting battle*.
#23pondrthisPosted 5/11/2014 8:51:49 PM
In the same vein as hiding her identity, spirit commanders could simply refer to "Lord Maxwell's orders", without giving any explicit screen time to Maxwell herself.

It strikes a balance between keeping the character to a cameo and expanding the role in the story.
---
Being in control is way, way more valuable than having good positioning. - Anise, on tactics
I-I'm plenty quirky, right? - Elaine, on backups
#24Frozen_Blades81Posted 5/11/2014 8:56:47 PM
pondrthis posted...
In the same vein as hiding her identity, spirit commanders could simply refer to "Lord Maxwell's orders", without giving any explicit screen time to Maxwell herself.

It strikes a balance between keeping the character to a cameo and expanding the role in the story.

That works too. Maybe we should hear the opinion of the woman her- I meanhimself.
---
"We are professionals, and we will decide this, as professionals" *Cue motorcycle jousting battle*.
#25Milla_Maxwell(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2014 9:20:04 PM
Frozen_Blades81 posted...
pondrthis posted...

That works too. Maybe we should hear the opinion of the woman her- I meanhimself.

Are you referring to me?

I'm good with Maxwell getting a bit of mention.
---
"and then the earth and the sky they all fit together
and carry me away as light as a feather."
#26Frozen_Blades81Posted 5/12/2014 10:35:12 PM
The results are:

-Asion: One of act 2's villains, waging a 3-way war between his forces of the netherworld (Maxxuth as well, since no one said no), the CWB (and maybe Engath, unless we make this an exclusive war), and the party (alongside whatever country or force decides to help, probably Reverant). This war will likely need to be balanced against the obvious Engath/Reverant war and the Perdatis revolution, but that can wait. The spirits will likely be involved in some way, maybe aiding Asion or the party, or fighting everyone. He will live or die depending on whether Skylar joins the party or not.

-Maxwell (and the spirit realm): Mentioned during appearances of spirit generals during battles between the world and the CWB (maybe during the CWB/Asion war too, I doubt they would stay on the sidelines during this conflict either). May or may not appear personally during the story, but if she does it will be in disguise (think Veigue Lungberg's appearance in a story sequence in Tales of Graces, as well as hiding her gender) and play a small role. Will star in an extensive sidequest that will culminate in her revealing herself and joining Robbie's Harem/group of summon spirits (maybe or maybe not after a fight, we can discuss that but I vote yes).

Is that all right with you all? If so, we will move on to the next conflicts of the day:

-Skylar and Langdon's roles in the story as antagonists: An easy assumption for Skylar would be joining Asion, learning about her past (and maybe embracing it), and looking for a way to cure Langdon. I remember Rolando mentioning Langdon surviving the event that makes Skylar become evil (his death, to be exact), so he could return as an undead like Asion, with Asion and Skylar looking for a way to bring him back to true life. They would be fought during some story events that normally would have you fight Maxxuth, a netherworld general, a boss monster, or even nothing at all. Rolando has plans for a post-game fight against him/them so they would likely survive the main game no matter what. I'd especially like to hear Rolly and Crepuscles' opinions on this.

-Which character gets which BE chain MA, as well as what order they have to be done in to trigger BE: I suggest:

Celesta: Dual the Sol
Jordan: Aquarius Sphere
Anise: Eternity Swarm
Robbie: Prism Stars
Skylar: Dimensional Material
Cole: Explosion Nova
Elaine: Shining Gate
Zien: Maxwell Minimus

As for order I propose we remove any semblance of order. Instead, each DMA has a specific button combination and you can chain them in any order you want, as long as you don't repeat them. Blue Earth triggers automatically after the last extension is used.

What do you say?
---
#27Milla_Maxwell(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 10:55:55 PM
Will star in an extensive sidequest that will culminate in her revealing herself and joining Robbie's Harem/group of summon spirits (maybe or maybe not after a fight, we can discuss that but I vote yes).

I had planned for a fight, it's not one that can give you a Game Over, it's simply a test to see if he's worthy.

-Which character gets which BE chain MA, as well as what order they have to be done in to trigger BE: I suggest:

Celesta: Dual the Sol
Jordan: Aquarius Sphere
Anise: Eternity Swarm
Robbie: Prism Stars
Skylar: Dimensional Material
Cole: Explosion Nova
Elaine: Shining Gate
Zien: Maxwell Minimus

As for order I propose we remove any semblance of order. Instead, each DMA has a specific button combination and you can chain them in any order you want, as long as you don't repeat them. Blue Earth triggers automatically after the last extension is used.

What do you say?

I disagree on that, part of what makes Blue Earth what it is is the specific order of stuff and hidden funky button combinations that activate them, it would be weird to allow activation in any order.
---
#28Frozen_Blades81Posted 5/12/2014 11:30:12 PM
@Milla

That would work if it worked like all the other BEs in the series, but it doesn't. They are each obtained by doing a bunch of stuff that not only doesn't give you all the extensions at the same time, but actually can block you from getting the rest. As far as I understand they are normal DMAs that can be linked together to form BE if you have them all, but what if you don't? That is likely going to be the case for most 1st, or even 2nd time players so the usual order (and any other order) is out of the question.
---
#29Milla_Maxwell(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2014 11:51:19 PM(edited)
@Milla

That would work if it worked like all the other BEs in the series, but it doesn't. They are each obtained by doing a bunch of stuff that not only doesn't give you all the extensions at the same time, but actually can block you from getting the rest. As far as I understand they are normal DMAs that can be linked together to form BE if you have them all, but what if you don't? That is likely going to be the case for most 1st, or even 2nd time players so the usual order (and any other order) is out of the question.

How is it out of the question?

You could still do them individually, but if you want to link them together, you HAVE to use Dual the Sol first and go though them in order. You could still use them individually if you wanted to, but you need to start with Dual the Sol if you want them linked.

It's not like you can link them if you don't have all of them anyway, and by the time you have all of them; they can easily be done in the correct order, and i'm pretty sure that it's been established that it won't be possible to get them all in one run anyway, so you'll need NG+ regardless (maybe there could be a carry over Loyalty option that is super cheap so you don't have to waste all your Grade carrying over Artes to get Blue Earth.)

Oh yeah, Blue Earth should also be a once per battle thing once you unlock access to it, or make it ineffectual against bosses.
---
#30Frozen_Blades81Posted 5/12/2014 11:58:44 PM(edited)
Hmm... yeah, you're right. We should wait and see what the others think though.

As for Blue Earth, it can be once per battle, but shouldn't be useless against bosses
---