Spell casting in future Fables. What I'd like to see.

#1Smackdowner1Posted 2/10/2014 7:04:51 PM
WILL ABILITIES:
Based on the Fable II method of spell casting. Each spell has both a targeted and AoE attacks. Spell power increases the longer you hold the charge. Up to 5 spells can be assigned at a time. No mana required.

Like your hero, spells change based on your alignment.

Blades (Replaces Blades / Ghost Sword / Multi Arrow)
Good: Ethereal swords resembling Avo's Tear. +damage to undead and evil creatures.
Evil: Ethereal swords resembling the Sword of Aeons +damage
T: Blades
AoE: Ghost Sword (Original Fable Ghost Sword spell, minus the accidental lock ons)

Control (Replaces Berserk / Physical Shield / Turncoat)
Good: Blessed. "Good" Aura. Targets fight for you and take less damage for the duration of the spell. Gain Physical Shield when used on self.
Evil: Possessed. "Demonic" Aura. Targets fight for you and are more aggressive, but take additional damage. Go Berserk when used on self.
T: Turncoat
AoE: Extreme Morph

Ice Storm
T: Iceball (Freezes enemy)
AoE: Blizzard (Drastically slows movement. Higher levels can freeze multiple enemies)

Inferno
Evil: Infernal Wrath. +Damage +Stun
T: Fireball
AoE: Enflame

Restoration (Replaces Drain Life / Heal Life) (Siphon enemy health / Heal friendlies and yourself. Safety must be off to siphon friendly NPCs)
Good: +Heal Life
Evil: +Drain Life
T: Drain Life / Heal Life
AoE: Area Drain Life / Heal Life (continues to drain / heal over time)

Shock
Good: Divine Fury. +Damage +Stun
T: Shock
AoE: Area Shock

Summon
Good: Light Guardian. +creature health
Evil: Shadow Guardian. +creature damage
T: Summon (Summons one powerful creature)
AoE: Raise Dead (Summons multiple, lesser minions)

Time Control
T: Assassin Rush
AoE: Slow Time

Vortex
T: Devastating Wind (Replaces Force Push)
AoE: Vortex

WILL AUGMENTATION:
Similar to Fable III's Spell Weaving, Spells can be amplified with other effects. However, instead of being able to use one spell combo at a time, you'd have an overall theme giving bonuses to certain spells. You are not forced to only use those spells, but equipping gauntlets that are focused on setting things on fire would not benefit a spell like Ice Storm.

Here's an example:

Pyromancer's Gauntlets:
Blades: Flaming Sword
Control: Immolation Bomb (When killed, target explodes igniting those around him) / Self Immolation
Inferno: Flames spread from target to target like wildfire.
Summon: Fire Guardians
Vortex: Fire Devil

Cryomancer and Electromancer gauntlets would be similar, imbuing spells with ice or electricity instead of fire.

Another example:

Necromancer's Gauntlets:
Blades: Searing Skull (Blades are replaced by flaming spectral skulls, color decided by moral alignment)
Control: Hollow Man (Fatal injuries will not stop the target from fighting for the entire duration of the spell) / Ethereal Extreme Morph (become an apparition)
Ice Storm: Ice Storm becomes a freezing unnatural fog. Wisps burrow into the ground. Spectral arms reach out at enemies from the grave holding them in place.
Restoration: Restoration spreads from target to target like the plague.
Summon: Undead Guardians

Having numerous gauntlet types would give players more flavor for their character.

Thoughts?
---
''Malice'' is a registered trademark of Smackdowner Inc.
All Rights Reserved 2002 - 2014
#2KnightLeonPosted 2/10/2014 8:08:11 PM
I really love the idea of changing spells based on alignment, and the augments. Just do away with having to charge spells, it makes playing a will user difficult. Additionally, with the whole faster paced combat they want, charging ruins it.
#3Smackdowner1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 9:09:57 PM(edited)
KnightLeon posted...
Just do away with having to charge spells, it makes playing a will user difficult.

I've never heard anyone say that about Fable, ever. In fact, it's always the opposite. Spells were too overpowered and made the games too easy. A level 5 ability would obliterate everything on the screen.
---
#4RiKuToTheMiGhtYPosted 2/10/2014 11:06:16 PM
Ditch the gauntlets and the BS of having to charge spells, the worst part of the new magic system is that it takes so long to charge up a spell so it is strong enough. More then not I have enemies wailing on me while I stand there charging up a spell so it does some decent damage but is annoying and stupid.

Fable 1 allowed spells to be used quickly in combat and most when upgrades did enough damage but did not gimp you by making to a damage sponge.
---
doa-plus.com - We Press Forward. . . By Pressing Back.
#5SomegamefanPosted 2/11/2014 12:00:01 AM
I always spammed slow time level 1, then 2, then 3. Then I'd charge up a level 4 or 5 shock. Made the fights really repetitive and easy though. But I practically had to since there was almost no way of charging a high level spell without being everyone's cutting board.

The way they forced you to level up and charge spells really killed the game for me. At later levels you couldn't just throw a level 1 target spell at someone because they wouldn't even flinch when hit. Combat would go: melee, melee, melee (enemy dies), ranged, pause to charge up a level 3-4 spell, magic.
They talked about the "flow" of combat, and aiming it to be rhythmic like music. But having to pause simply to do enough damage to make the enemy flinch really kills the rhythm.

I think they should combine the 2 systems; Have charging be simply bonus damage to the spell. You can still cast a level 1 spell and make the enemy flinch, but at reduced damage as the enemies get stronger.

I also like TC's idea of magic changing based on your alignment. But I think there should be more of a difference between the 2, like how TC had heal life and drain life. And more health for good summons, and more damage for evil summons. More diversity so it's actually challenge of which alignment you'd want to choose.
---
Without a reason that's mine, one fight is as good as any other. Might as well start with you.
#6BahamutBBobPosted 2/11/2014 7:03:35 AM
I like the idea of having the gauntlets augment spells.

But IIRC, in Fable 3, if you were wearing gauntlets, it overrode your gloves, right? I didn't like that, I wanted to pick what my character was wearing in every slot.
---
XBL / PSN: BahamutBBob
#7HatchetHoundPosted 2/11/2014 7:44:32 AM
Needs neutral effects.
---
BLACK. CATS.
#8KnightLeonPosted 2/11/2014 8:03:59 AM
Smackdowner1 posted...
KnightLeon posted...
Just do away with having to charge spells, it makes playing a will user difficult.

I've never heard anyone say that about Fable, ever. In fact, it's always the opposite. Spells were too overpowered and made the games too easy. A level 5 ability would obliterate everything on the screen.

Looking back, I see that removing charging would be a bad idea. The idea stemmed from the fact that lionhead seems to want more fast paced battles, and the spell charging system is counter intuitive to that.

But mostly, if we could move while charging a spell, that would address some issues. Make it so you move a bit slower than normal, and slower the more charged the attack is, and completely stationary at charge level 4 or at least when close to level 5.
#9Smackdowner1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 8:26:10 AM
HatchetHound posted...
Needs neutral effects.

There would be, i just didn't feel the need to list them. Neutral blades for example would just be regular Blades, Neutral Inferno would be regular Inferno...
---
#10BiggyDXPosted 2/11/2014 9:20:19 AM(edited)
There's actually some really good ideas in their. I also thought about having existing spells be altered through various means so that they behave differently. My only thing is, if the game is set after Fable 3 I think it might be a problem. The Hero bloodline has been pretty thinned out, and the Hero's magic in Fable 3 was only possible due to the gauntlets. At the same time, that same Hero is the only one (based on the series lore) that was capable of weaving spells together to have different effects; which is somewhat what you're considering when equipping gauntlets. There also needs to be more emphasis on rewarding players who choose to stay neutral.
---
Gamertag: Biggy DX