How Ranked Mode works,promotion/demotion ranking (kyu/dans/True Tekken God)

#1_HaradaLoving_Posted 6/18/2013 2:47:04 AM
Here's how I understood previous Tekkens to work with ranks. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Also this might be changed in Revolution. But it looks about the same.

Once you hit the dan ranks the game works like this...... (this game starts at dan 1, but in previous Tekkens, pre-Dan, Kyu fights worked differently)

You start at 0 points for your current rank.

To get promoted you need 6 points.
To get demoted you need -6

So the range is 0 to 12. (remember when you rank up/down, you are at 6, in the middle)

Now the question is how many points do you get per fight? (This is the weird part, but the game makers have their reasons that make sense)

- If you fight someone at your rank, you can win or lose 2 points to your current rank.

- If you fight someone +1 or -1 of your rank (if you are rank 4, and fighting a rank 3 or 5) then you get or lose 1 point.

- If you fight someone 2 ranks above or below you, you only get or lose .5 points.

- If you fight anyone more than 2 ranks above or below, you only gain or lose .25 points!

This explains when you can seemingly go on a win streak, and still get demotion matches. What happens in that case is all the previous wins were tiny plus/minus, but you are now close to 0 points, below 2 point (range 0 to 2) so any fights with people at your rank will put you in danger of demotion. That's why it seems like you can win a lot but still be in demotion. Let's say you were at .25 points above 0. You can fight a +-.25. Then fight a +-.5, then you can fight a +-1, then you can fight a +-2 and get 4 demotion matches in a row :)

.25 + .25 (total .5), then +.5 (total 1), then +1 (total 2), and finally a +2 match. At every point in that series you were in demotion range for the next fight.

My suggestion for all players is to play with the in game Rank Limits search conditions being "+-2 only". This is a good idea because it will keep you fighting fights that matter and get lots of points to rank. But it's up to you. Remember when you make the search range huge you are also inviting monster rank players to beat your ass. If you are low dan ranks +-2 is best for sure. And remember that Ranked Matchs are the best for EXP and Secret character Unlocks, and Money.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/718273-tekken-revolution/66462641
---
When you point to the moon, don't lose track of all that heavenly glory.
#2IDoneNoPosted 6/18/2013 3:10:52 AM
No one should care about ranks. I think limiting the search options would have you fighting the same people over and over, and that's not fun.
#3_HaradaLoving_(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 4:34:59 PM
IDoneNo posted...
No one should care about ranks. I think limiting the search options would have you fighting the same people over and over, and that's not fun.

Ranks are a means to an ends.

Ranks are meant to pair you up with like skilled opponents. So you can find similarly skilled opponents.

You should care about finding other good players.

Not caring about your skill is like a sports team not caring about winning and reaching the final playoffs by ranking against each other.

One thing they got wrong in this game is rank and level are not character specific, instead it applies to your whole character. I think they need to go back to character specific rankings.

And the +-2 rank limit doesn't seem to make that happen to me. I fight lots of different people.
---
When you point to the moon, don't lose track of all that heavenly glory.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/_HaradaLoving_/boards
#4Marcelo77Posted 6/20/2013 4:58:52 PM
_HaradaLoving_ posted...

Ranks are meant to pair you up with like skilled opponents. So you can find similarly skilled opponents.

WRONG!!! Your Ranks aren't strickly related to your skills. I've faced 7th Dan ppl who are spammers. According to your logic they are very skilful because they made it to that Rank and they just just spammed 1 or 2 moves. There are very good players who are 1st Dan. Why shouldn't we have the opportunity to fight that people? Because we are higher Dan ("Better than them")? I'm 5th Dan and sometimes i have to wait almost 5min to find someone to fight around my range. I'd rather lose to someone very skilful than wait almost 5min to fight someone
---
PSN: BlazingForce / Games: Dragon's Dogma (Fighter <50), Dark Soul (lv <20), Boarderlands 1 (Siren lv <20)
#5Virus351Posted 6/20/2013 5:27:11 PM
_HaradaLoving_ posted...
IDoneNo posted...

Ranks are a means to an ends.

Not caring about your skill is like a sports team not caring about winning and reaching the final playoffs by ranking against each other.

One thing they got wrong in this game is rank and level are not character specific, instead it applies to your whole character. I think they need to go back to character specific rankings.

And the +-2 rank limit doesn't seem to make that happen to me. I fight lots of different people.

Usually this is true but you end up fighting the same people because they spam their way to the top. Even if you can beat them, the new players may have no chance then they start spamming and everyone ends up cloning each other. Kazuya and Laws are interesting though. They'll throw in a low hit now and then and Lili will just side step i think every (1+2) move stops those.
---
PSN: Scythe351
#6izar22Posted 6/20/2013 6:29:54 PM
Ranks give u more gift points? No there about the same maximum is 100 for ranked and casual
#7streetfighter76Posted 6/20/2013 8:08:33 PM
Nobody is playing in Ranked sometimes so limiting your search is not a good idea AT ALL.
Maybe some people are following this dumb idea and we are all there at the same time, keeping our search for several minutes but everybody just wants to play against other ppl with their same rank. >_>

It'd make more sense if more ppl would be willing to play Ranked but if half (or more) of the ppl playing carelessly spam their "invincibles" all the time then it's obvious to think they "tried" to play like that a few times in Ranked, they understood this won't work against someone who knows what he's doing and they will never touch that mode again...

Many people are also ducking matches all the time in Player matches, so at least in Ranked i can expect to find opponents willing to go at it; who cares if i get demoted sometimes?
I can always get my rank back again at some point if that would be of any importance to me... But it's just a name, i won't let that affect my enjoyment of the game at all.
#8FlakconPosted 6/20/2013 9:36:46 PM
Well then if you guys think about it, if a strategy is so effective, why not use it to win? There is no fair fights in war so use everything to your advantage. If you argue that you beat them regularly well it could also mean they "perfected" it to a point where even if its still ineffective, they are still winning (except against you of course). They could be smart-spammers or use invincible move at the right time but it's all spamming to you if you are blinded with rage.

Don't get me wrong though, I hate it when I fight them but there are unorthodox methods to counter this unorthodox method of play in Tekken. I lost to this guy who use DKaz and would just laser and when I get close would use b.1+2. Needless to say, I lost. It's my fault for not picking it up early.
---
PSN: theSkarekro
AE2012: Adon Sagat | Injustice: Nightwing Shazam | Tekken: Kazuya Law Jin
#9istuffedsunnyPosted 6/25/2013 7:18:37 PM
Weird system... I don't understand why you have to gain and lose the same amount if you beat a higher rank. It would make more sense if you gained a lot but lost a little.
---
I have a radio in my car.
#10KoolAssAssassinPosted 6/25/2013 8:47:21 PM
It's a pretty stupid system really for the simple fact that you can beat up on a bunch of people who are ranked higher than you then lose to a few on your level and wind up demoted. In other words, the scoring makes it so that rank basically means nothing.