Kiefer's take on Big Boss sounds soft and frail

#11_NeroZero_Posted 9/25/2013 4:47:04 PM
Tuggboat1121 posted...
BlackestGarden posted...
Sutherland's Snake sounds so...defeated.

"Kaz, I'm already a demon."

Maybe thats the whole point.

Also this. It's clear at this point Boss is tired, he's been going through this for years. His name is Punished Snake for crying out loud.

Sure thing, but that's no reason to keep the voice tone through the whole game like he's sigh-ing all the time.
---
Be kind to people.They're outnumbering you from 8 billion to one.
"I'm dual-shocked by that statement" - adam_kps2
#12Tuggboat1121Posted 9/25/2013 6:11:19 PM
_NeroZero_ posted...
Tuggboat1121 posted...
BlackestGarden posted...
Sutherland's Snake sounds so...defeated.

"Kaz, I'm already a demon."

Maybe thats the whole point.

Also this. It's clear at this point Boss is tired, he's been going through this for years. His name is Punished Snake for crying out loud.

Sure thing, but that's no reason to keep the voice tone through the whole game like he's sigh-ing all the time.

The 6 - 7 mins of Kiefer's voice we've heard is the whole game? Damn, this game is going to be short.
---
New England Patriots: 3-0
Next up: Atlanta Falcons
#13Southpaw89Posted 9/30/2013 9:02:19 AM
Tuggboat1121 posted...
shadowscreed posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elMikUGFfqw

his voice does not match who snake is. i think there is so many fans that would agree about the voice.

And there are plenty of people who can accept that Kiefer is going to do a fine job, and we don't need Hayter. What's your point?

Doesn't match who Snake is? Who is Snake? We've known him throughout different phases of life but not he is a wearied, defeated, soldier who doesn't have much left. David Hayter will always BE Snake to us but we can't assume Kiefer will be bad based on the premises that he isn't Hayter and he sounds different in the 10 or so lines we've heard of him so far in a trailer. I honestly think he sounds fine and natural so I'm going to take it that he has been instructed to sound defeated like he does.
#14KingNerdx99Posted 9/30/2013 12:30:27 PM
Southpaw89 posted...
Tuggboat1121 posted...
shadowscreed posted...

his voice does not match who snake is. i think there is so many fans that would agree about the voice.

And there are plenty of people who can accept that Kiefer is going to do a fine job, and we don't need Hayter. What's your point?

Doesn't match who Snake is? Who is Snake? We've known him throughout different phases of life but not he is a wearied, defeated, soldier who doesn't have much left. David Hayter will always BE Snake to us but we can't assume Kiefer will be bad based on the premises that he isn't Hayter and he sounds different in the 10 or so lines we've heard of him so far in a trailer. I honestly think he sounds fine and natural so I'm going to take it that he has been instructed to sound defeated like he does.

Which Snake are you talking about? I think those words describe Naked Snake quite well after the events of MGS3.

I think a lot of people are unnecessarily trying to force a sense of continuity with Hayter's Big Boss, and Kiefer's. I think you'll all be a lot happier if you can get past that, as Kojima's already stated that his reasons were stylistic, not in any way for story purposes. Kiefer was never supposed to fill a gap between Hayter and Doyle.
#15Eat ManPosted 10/1/2013 10:45:48 AM
in the materials we've seen he doesn't sound weary and tired. he sounds like a guy who they brought in off the street on a whim and they just recorded his first take cuz it's just a video game so who cares.

stop pretending like we've experienced some tremendous artistic vision of snake so far.

hopefully the dub over was really just a one take rush job to have english materials. cuz a whole game of this quality will be frustrating to play.
---
Oops, my bad, that's my scenario.
#16KingNerdx99Posted 10/2/2013 6:26:39 PM
Eat Man posted...
in the materials we've seen he doesn't sound weary and tired. he sounds like a guy who they brought in off the street on a whim and they just recorded his first take cuz it's just a video game so who cares.

stop pretending like we've experienced some tremendous artistic vision of snake so far.

hopefully the dub over was really just a one take rush job to have english materials. cuz a whole game of this quality will be frustrating to play.

That's quite some luck to grab Kiefer Sutherland on your first street-snatching.

I certainly don't pretend that WE have shared any significant experience. I've experienced a unique artistic revitalization, but it sounds like quite a lot of people have had their lives ruined by it.
#17Biggest_BossPosted 10/9/2013 6:14:53 AM
I honestly didn't really mind that Hayter was gone until I heard Kiefer. Cringeworthy for sure.
---
PSN: Sleeq
#18grand_kaizerPosted 10/9/2013 7:19:17 PM
I was optimistic about Keifer. Whatever the surrounding politics and the ill-will apparently directed at David Hayter, who is far more talented than any of you shmucks anyway, I was willing to hear Keifer Sutherland as Big Boss.

Now that I have for a bit, I'm starting to wonder. He's not even trying to have any connection with Big Boss as we've known him previously. I'm talking about simply the tone of his voice. It doesn't sound anywhere near like Snake's voice, and they're not even attempting to give him that bridge, it's just a jarringly different voice.

Take for example the inFamous series. The voice actors changed between one and two, but the second VA (I think it was Eric Laden, but that might have been the first one) made the effort to keep the edge of gravel in Cole's voice. It rounded out a little, but it was plausable to think that one voice could have transformed into the other, maybe still a bit of a leap given the short timeframe, but still not implausible.

Keifer doesn't sound like he's bothered. He's just talking in his Keifer Sutherland voice. It might still be good, and he might still make the performance work, but as someone who's been hearing Hayter's voice for years now, it's friggin' jarring.
---
"I am the Truest Repairman!"
#19thedeparted94Posted 10/14/2013 1:59:05 PM
They need a Rorschach sounding gravelly voice for an old big boss

Jackie earle haley would have been a great choice.
---
<PSN> britz02
#20riddlebox89Posted 10/15/2013 2:28:03 AM
Gencoil posted...
What happened to the gruffness? Kiefer doesn't sound like he's on a dangerous mission, he sounds like he's going camping or something. It's like he didn't even listen to David Hayter's voice for inspiration before going into recording. He somehow manages to make Snake sound younger, despite being 10 years older since we last saw him.

Now I know there may be a possible explanation for this. Snake's been in a coma for 9 years. Obviously, he hasn't touched a cigar in all that time. Maybe this is his "normal", clean voice? No... that doesn't make sense because he has the same voice in Ground Zeroes which takes place just one year after Peace Walker.

Of course he's going to sound like he's having a casual conversation...he's in a mission briefing, why would he be all tensed up for that?

And he did listen to David Hayters voice for inspiration, he listened to him in Peace Walker and the digital graphic novels and was inspired to not sound that terrible.

So what if he sounds younger? The voice is appropriate for Big Bosses age whereas David Hayters Big Boss wasn't appropriate for much more than a guy trying (and failing) to sound like an old man who ate glass and smoked (and by smoked, I mean inhaled, which you're not supposed to do apparently.) boxes upon boxes of cigars and chugged down bottles of Jack like it was koolaid.

As for the voice change not making sense, it doesn't have to make sense, voice actors are not a set in stone thing, this thing people call "voice actor consistency" doesn't exist, a voice actor is just that, a voice, they're not the actual character. And most importantly, we don't decide who is and who isn't a good voice for the character, the person doing the casting does.

And no, Ground Zeroes takes place a few months after Peace Walker, not a full year.

EvilCactus posted...
Why would he listen to David Hayter for inspiration? The less he sounds like Microsoft Sam with throat cancer, the better.

Most sensible person on Gamefaqs right here.

shadowscreed posted...

And you're wrong, many fans agree that Sutherland is a fine choice for Big Boss in this phase of his life, as well as many fans agree that David Hayter never should have been cast as Big Boss in the first place.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.