So Hayter is kind of a *****?

#31LionHart627Posted 11/22/2013 2:03:19 PM
Hayter wasn't just a another actor looking for work, he was integral part of the process for 12 freaking years.

No, the Japanese VAs were an integral part of the process. They actually help develop the characters we see in this series with Kojima himself. Many of the traits that we see a character have in cutscenes comes directly from the Japanese VA's styles and mannerisms. David Hayter has always been irrelevant to this series. He is a bad voice actor (there's a reason he barely can get any work outside of this series) who got hired because he was friends with Kris and Patric Zimmerman. He's never contributed anything to Snake's actual character and he never actually met Hideo Kojima until after MGS3 came out. They weren't buddies, they didn't hang out, they met twice. You overblow his contributions to this series so much. All he did was do a bad voice for 12 years, that got worse and worse as time went on, until the point that many people felt he needed to be replaced.
---
"Search for the clues that aren't drowned in booze." - Tom Waits
#32riddlebox89Posted 11/22/2013 7:39:54 PM
thedeparted94 posted...
Hayter wasn't just a another actor looking for work, he was integral part of the process for 12 freaking years. Not even getting a so long is appalling.

In your opinion, it is appalling, however this is a rare case where an opinion is objectively wrong because this is exactly what happens every goddamned time an actor does or does not get a role, they're either called and told to come to work on Monday or not called at all, it being done to Hayter does NOT make him a special snowflake and it doesn't matter how many years he's been with the franchise.

And lol, Hayter was never an integral part of the games, all he did was read the lines off paper, he had absolutely no say in what Snake said or how he said it, he was just the guy they called cheap because they didn't know whether the game would be a success or not, nothing more, and you'd be saying the same thing if it were any other actor in the part.

mgsfreak1688 posted...
Fair enough...but Keifer? Really? The transition makes no sense.

The transition does not have to make sense, they don't have to get someone who can do an older sounding David Hayter Big Boss voice. Voice actor consistency does not exist, something you and everyone like you need to learn to understand. They very well could have gotten an entirely different cast for each of the games if they wanted to do so.

LionHart627 posted...
You used to be a really, really good poster, but I've seen your IQ and your quality of posts drop horrendously the past year. You can't keep using the "Snake and Big Boss shouldn't have the same voice anyway!" argument, then dismiss the fact that Otacon & Huey have the same voice. All the Snakes have the same voice. Stop being a nuisance.

Where am I dismissing Otacon and Huey having the same voice? Far as I know that wasn't brought up here until you just mentioned it. Not that it matters since the discussion is about Solid Snake, Big Boss, David Hayter and Sutherland, not Huey or Otacon, so that argument isn't even near being relevant.

"All the Snakes have the same voice."

Lol, bulls***, why don't you explain how Liquid and Solidus aren't voiced by David Hayter if all Snakes have the same voice?
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#33sevil_yelimsPosted 11/22/2013 10:19:51 PM(edited)
The only time Akio Otsuka never voiced a Snake was Liquid and MGS4 Big Boss. Liquid is more about his up-bringing while Big Boss was played by Akio's father. As far as Solidus and Naked Snake were concerned for MGS2 and 3 they thematically needed to sound like Solid Snake to give off the illusion that it was really him.

The English casting was never at Kojima's forefront until now where he is focusing on motion capture and having the actors in LA provide the facial capture while his actors in Japan are providing dubs. Kiefer will provide much more to the character than just his voice. More so than Akio if all he's doing s dubbng over Sutherland's performance. If Kojima had it his way then all the motion capture would be done in LA with the actors and that could have lead to more character replacements than what we have already got. It's the same scenario with Splinter Cell: Blacklist and the new Thief.

That's really all there is to it. It's a decision that's motivated by how games are being made today, and while these games are looking for younger actors it seems only Kojima is sticking it out with an older actor who is undeniably better at his craft. It's harder for Eric Johnson to live up to Michael Ironside for Sam Fisher, but no one who cares about acting is going to believe that Kiefer Sutherland has to live up to David Hayter. And this is coming from someone who is fond of Hayter's Snake.

The series lacks consistency on both ends, and for less-than-interesting reasons. It's more consistent than most video games, but far from perfect. I can only hope Kiefer brings his own unique take and not try to voice match how Hayter would have done it. He needs to make the character his own and so far he is doing just that. It'll take some time, but people will get over it and welcome the new Snake much like people did with Batman, James Bond, etc.

Fans also forget that Kojima isn't above doing this in Japan either. When it came to the role of Vamp he replaced Ryotaro Okiayu from MGS2 with Shinya Tsukamoto for MGS4. He promoted how he got this famous director (by Japan's standards) to play Vamp in his latest game. If he is able to work in his love of film and cinema into his video games hen he will find a way. The decision to reach out to Kiefer was also because he had advice from Hollywood producer Avi Arad.
---
I want it all.
#34Mel_the_vinPosted 11/23/2013 5:30:53 PM
I would say he was happy to be replaced by the likes of Kiefer Sutherland. Plus, I honestly and truly believe that they did it because I read and article where Kojima signed on for a live action MGS movie, in which Avi Arad, the person who recommended Kiefer to Kojima by saying, "When ever I think of Snake, I think of Kiefer Sutherland.", will be the (Co)Producer of the live action movie, so maybe it's a way to get the fans ready for Kiefer to play that role.
#35sevil_yelimsPosted 11/24/2013 1:11:24 AM
Hater was far from happy. He doesn't act as often so he's not used to being replaced from a long-standing role. You could follow his twitter and see the initial phases he goes through after learning about not starring in the next MGS. Taking a twitter poll to see what fans would think and sending the results to Kojima's account. Saying that those who preferred Richard Doyle as Big Boss were dead to him. Making implications that he may be involved by teasing that the Phamtom Pain trailer made his arm hurt. Teases about losing his voice at E3 and then putting Kiefer's photograph as his twitter avatar before removing it soon after. Relating Kiefer and MGSV to New Coke.

He goes from shock to denial to anger and now hopefully he is easing his way to acceptance after recently stating in interviews that it's an honor to be replaced by him.
---
I want it all.
#36riddlebox89Posted 11/24/2013 4:14:48 AM
sevil_yelims posted...
Hater was far from happy. He doesn't act as often so he's not used to being replaced from a long-standing role. You could follow his twitter and see the initial phases he goes through after learning about not starring in the next MGS. Taking a twitter poll to see what fans would think and sending the results to Kojima's account. Saying that those who preferred Richard Doyle as Big Boss were dead to him. Making implications that he may be involved by teasing that the Phamtom Pain trailer made his arm hurt. Teases about losing his voice at E3 and then putting Kiefer's photograph as his twitter avatar before removing it soon after. Relating Kiefer and MGSV to New Coke.

He goes from shock to denial to anger and now hopefully he is easing his way to acceptance after recently stating in interviews that it's an honor to be replaced by him.

Lol, implying that Hayter actually takes the whole twitter thing seriously. Let me let you in on a little secret buddy, nobody over the ages of 16 to maybe 20 takes twitter that seriously, to everyone else, it's not much more than a joke to have fun with. Hell him posting a picture of Sutherland as his avatar and relating him to New Coke should've given that away instantly. That and the fact that most of what Kojima posts is pictures of what he happens to be eating.
---
#37Bishop_SasaraiPosted 11/24/2013 12:04:04 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
sevil_yelims posted...

Lol, implying that Hayter actually takes the whole twitter thing seriously. Let me let you in on a little secret buddy, nobody over the ages of 16 to maybe 20 takes twitter that seriously, to everyone else, it's not much more than a joke to have fun with. Hell him posting a picture of Sutherland as his avatar and relating him to New Coke should've given that away instantly. That and the fact that most of what Kojima posts is pictures of what he happens to be eating.

Yep. I don't even have Twitter. Hell, I almost didn't bother with Facebook. I find social media as a whole to be idiotic, but that's another story for another time.
#38sevil_yelimsPosted 11/24/2013 8:51:41 PM
riddlebox89 posted...
sevil_yelims posted...

It just reeks of bitterness. The fact that he removed the Kiefer avatar shortly after using it shows how childish he was behaving. How many professional voice over actors behave this way when they're not called back?
---
I want it all.
#39riddlebox89Posted 11/24/2013 10:27:35 PM
sevil_yelims posted...
It just reeks of bitterness. The fact that he removed the Kiefer avatar shortly after using it shows how childish he was behaving. How many professional voice over actors behave this way when they're not called back?

It wasn't childish you halfwit, it was done in a joking manner because he doesn't take twitter seriously like you do.

God damn, you must think everything Kojima eats for lunch then tweets about must come from the gods themselves if you actually think twitter is that serious of a thing.
---
#40sevil_yelimsPosted 11/24/2013 11:20:40 PM
Twitter isn't used to only make jokes for your amusement. Believe me, I'd rather Hayter take his being replaced light-heartedly rather than resort to immature reactions on social networks and interviews. It's disappointing to see a decent voice actor behave this way, but recently he is going through the acceptance stage, even using the Bond comparisons as a way of maintaining his status as Snake.
---
I want it all.