So Hayter is kind of a *****?

#71Jeff ZeroPosted 12/25/2013 2:31:18 PM
It's been a long time. Which parts of Metal Gear 2 no longer make sense?
---
"Commodore? You might be daddy's little girl but I'm daddy's little angel." -PrestonStarry
http://tinyurl.com/lj5h8nj
#72A-CourtPosted 12/26/2013 1:31:17 AM
I would like to know also.
---
To be the Man, You have to beat the Man! WOOooooo!
It's called Wrestling, not "Fighting with Hedge clippers"
#73high_contrast87Posted 12/26/2013 2:12:44 AM
Jeff Zero posted...
It's been a long time. Which parts of Metal Gear 2 no longer make sense?

Its mainly the OILIX thing. If you remember, it was said in MG2's intro that the worlds natural resources we're all running out and the world is in crisis....until Kio Marv develops a new algae called OILIX which enables the production of mass quantities of oil, solving the energy crisis. That's the main reason Big Boss has him kidnapped, to give ZL economic superiority over the world via OILIX. At the end of the game, Snake retrieves OILIX and brings it back to his superiors, so the world energy crisis is over.
But then MGS4 comes long and says the War Economy came about mostly due to the downward sloping oil market - if the world had OILIX there should be no lack of oil so this makes no sense.

Then there's Zanzibar Land itself. It says they fought a war of independence from the Soviet Union in the mid 1990s, but as we know the Soviet Union was already dissolved by 1991. This is a result of the game being developed when the Soviet Union was still intact but set in the future. They try to make some sense of it in MGS1s manual by saying they fought the war against the CIS instead of the USSR, but this still makes little sense. If the Soviet Union was gone then ZL wouldn't need to fight a war for their independence.

Then finally there's the fact that Zanzibar Land was apparently the only nuclear power in the world or some s*** due to raiding all the worlds nuclear weapons disposal sites. That's pretty unbelievable. Or atleast one of the only nuclear powers in the world according to MGS1s manual. I don't know. Either way its been retconned to death.

The story still makes sense overal but there are major parts of the plot which make you scratch your head.
#74pautenPosted 12/31/2013 3:42:29 AM
Since it shares a lot of the same set pieces as MG2 I always considered Metal Gear Solid to kind of be a semi remake/reboot of MG2s storyline.

And didn't Hayter reprise his role as Snake for the Digital Graphic Novel in this years Legacy collection? That must have been recorded recently because there are no voices in the original PSP release. Or has my memory failed me?
#75riddlebox89Posted 12/31/2013 9:01:13 AM
pauten posted...
And didn't Hayter reprise his role as Snake for the Digital Graphic Novel in this years Legacy collection? That must have been recorded recently because there are no voices in the original PSP release. Or has my memory failed me?

Yeah Hayter did play Solid Snake in the graphic novels. Your memory is fine, there was never any voice acting in the PSP originals. Not that it matters since the voice acting is kinda sorta terrible, especially on Hayter's side who uses his Peace Walker Big Boss voice.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#76Reinez0001Posted 1/3/2014 12:57:29 PM
Hayter should play the role of Snake. I think its pretty thoughtless of Kojima to just give him the axe when he's played the role for so long. For all intents and purposes he is Snake.

Also to replace him with Kiefer Sutherland? Now every single Big Boss line is going to sound like Jack Bauer - good grief.
#77Bishop_SasaraiPosted 1/3/2014 4:37:05 PM
Reinez0001 posted...
Hayter should play the role of Snake. I think its pretty thoughtless of Kojima to just give him the axe when he's played the role for so long. For all intents and purposes he is Snake.

Also to replace him with Kiefer Sutherland? Now every single Big Boss line is going to sound like Jack Bauer - good grief.

I think it's pretty thoughtless that someone thinks Hayter sounds the same now as he did in 1998. Well, thoughtless and stupid.
#78riddlebox89Posted 1/4/2014 4:30:59 AM
Reinez0001 posted...

So Hayter is Snake? Tell me, did Kojima base Snakes personality on Hayter? Did Hayter ever get a say in what Snake said or how he said it? Did Hayter ever actually do more than just give the character a voice? No he didn't. Snakes Japanese voice actor however did indeed have a say in what Snake said and how he said it and Snakes personality was based on him, not Hayter.

Hayter is no longer capable of giving a quality performance as Snake or Big Boss, you don't give a quality performance, you're not worth the money they're paying you, you're not worth the money they pay you then you need to go and Hayter should've been booted out since before MGS3 and let Big Boss have his own voice actor instead of making him a carbon copy of Solid Snake for fan service directed towards butt hurt little girls who whined about MGS2 not having enough Snake.

Voice actor consistency is a myth, it doesn't exist, Kojima could've had a whole new cast for each game if he wanted to. Hayter playing the role for so long doesn't mean a damn thing.

And lol at acting like Sutherland is only known for 24. Are you chaosflametrolls alt or something?
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#79NecronmonPosted 1/7/2014 8:04:08 PM
I was always a fan of Hayter so this was depressing enough, however it got me in to thinking of even more depressing facts, if this is a trend voice actors might be pushed out of a lot of there business.

Like, the fact that they are going for Sutherland because they care more about face reactions then the action makes me wonder if they are just going to push aside most of the voice actors just to have famous actors be spotlights for the video games.

Now true, Voice actors would still have roles for cartoons but this will make even less room for Voice actors, and theses days its all ready been reduced so bad that if it gets worst I can really see how its just a handful of voice actors doing some base roles and no real room for anyone else, sigh.
#80GrecoquantPosted 1/11/2014 12:46:44 AM
Necronmon posted...
I was always a fan of Hayter so this was depressing enough, however it got me in to thinking of even more depressing facts, if this is a trend voice actors might be pushed out of a lot of there business.

Like, the fact that they are going for Sutherland because they care more about face reactions then the action makes me wonder if they are just going to push aside most of the voice actors just to have famous actors be spotlights for the video games.

Now true, Voice actors would still have roles for cartoons but this will make even less room for Voice actors, and theses days its all ready been reduced so bad that if it gets worst I can really see how its just a handful of voice actors doing some base roles and no real room for anyone else, sigh.

This makes me wonder what will happen when sutherland gets too expensive and gets replaced again.