My gf and I just thought up an Interesting Theory. (SPOILERS)

#1LordAarongornPosted 4/9/2014 11:02:38 AM
So after watching a trailer analysis where someone was explaining the Metal Gear storyline to someone else who didn't know much about it, he was talking about Big Boss turning bad, but being a good guy so far. This made me think to myself, "What if Big Boss really isn't ever bad and Cypher/Patriots are just making him sound like a villain?"

Anyway, I brought this up to my girlfriend and she said, "What if Big Boss isn't a villain all along and Solid Snake is sent in to kill him to prove something (in MG1), making Big Boss look like an enemy to the world, just like Big Boss had to kill The Boss (in MGS3)?"

This theory blew my mind and I think it'd be an awesome twist. I mean, I can also see where Big Boss would turn evil, wanting to seek revenge and having child soldiers, but what if he's actually saving the children because Cypher/Patriots are threatening/torturing them, and/or Cypher/Patriots are publicly making him sound like a villain.

I mean, The Patriots made Solid Snake and Otacon look like villains for going after Metal Gears, so maybe the same thing is happening to Big Boss.

It may be a stretch, but I think that it's something to consider. And maybe through this experience, Big Boss finally understands what The Boss meant all along.

Thoughts? Opinions? Contradictions?
#2MaxiPower90Posted 4/9/2014 11:31:14 AM
everyone knows this already. That is the story lol
---
Once upon a time trolling didn't mean trolling. It meant 'criticism'. Somewhere along the line people stopped being able to take it.
#3LordAarongorn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/9/2014 11:42:26 AM
Well I've never heard/thought it until now. :/

I'm not assuming that I'm the first one to think of it though. I just never saw a topic discuss it.
#4PinskiPosted 4/9/2014 12:09:51 PM
Big Bosses speeches in MG2 are enough to prove he was the "badguy" and needed to be stopped, Cipher didn't need to do anything. Big Boss is a villain, maybe no a cliche mustache twirling villain, but a villain nonetheless.
---
"Real revolution starts at learning. If you're not angry...then you're not paying attention"-Tim McIlrath
#5beardface21Posted 4/9/2014 2:47:13 PM
Pinski posted...
Big Bosses speeches in MG2 are enough to prove he was the "badguy" and needed to be stopped, Cipher didn't need to do anything. Big Boss is a villain, maybe no a cliche mustache twirling villain, but a villain nonetheless.

I think MG2 is about to be retconned to the max in TPP.
---
Ghost Recon FS: Where you can be invisible and a noob at the same time! PSN:usfstu18
#6Bernoulli_Posted 4/9/2014 5:05:40 PM
^

It sure is, Hideo said it in an interview. (I think it was IGN).
---
GT: Bernoulli85
#7kikookPosted 4/10/2014 3:09:48 PM
Bernoulli_ posted...
^

It sure is, Hideo said it in an interview. (I think it was IGN).

He more so said that 'continuity errors are bound to happen.'

That means he has made errors in continuity but is trying to keep it as true as possible.
---
Bumbleness Supreme Brady.
#8LordAarongorn(Topic Creator)Posted 4/10/2014 3:27:04 PM
Hey guys! This discussion is rather heated on the PS3 GZ board so I thought I'd just say good points in this topic. The retconning comment that Kojima made is very interesting because it could mean a lot of things. Overall, he has to stay relatively true to MG2's story because we know for a fact that Solid Snake kills him, so not a whole lot can be changed. I guess he's saying this just in case for the little details.

We pretty much discussed this fact in great length in the other board, but my theory is, what if there's more to it than we know? Or what if Big Boss is trying to sound bad so that Solid Snake brings him down very similarly to The Boss, which the whole world sees as a villain.

His whole, "Start a war, fan it's flames, then create victims ... Then save them, train them... And feed them back onto the battlefield." speech does sound very sinister though, if this is his true world view.
#9kikookPosted 4/10/2014 8:31:27 PM
LordAarongorn posted...
Hey guys! This discussion is rather heated on the PS3 GZ board so I thought I'd just say good points in this topic. The retconning comment that Kojima made is very interesting because it could mean a lot of things. Overall, he has to stay relatively true to MG2's story because we know for a fact that Solid Snake kills him, so not a whole lot can be changed. I guess he's saying this just in case for the little details.

We pretty much discussed this fact in great length in the other board, but my theory is, what if there's more to it than we know? Or what if Big Boss is trying to sound bad so that Solid Snake brings him down very similarly to The Boss, which the whole world sees as a villain.

His whole, "Start a war, fan it's flames, then create victims ... Then save them, train them... And feed them back onto the battlefield." speech does sound very sinister though, if this is his true world view.

No, the final scene of MGS4 showed that Big Boss had regrets in life. He mistook The Boss' ideals and twisted it thinking he was doing good. That's why he told Snake to stop fighting despite, in Peace Walker, feeling The Boss betrayed him when he found out she wanted out of all the fighting.

He died doing two good deeds. He showed affection for Snake, which he then guided to live the rest of his life in peace. He then killed Zero, ending the Patriots once and for all.
---
Bumbleness Supreme Brady.
#10MagusNotFrogPosted 4/16/2014 6:58:46 AM
Both Big Boss and Major Zero misinterpreted the Boss' legacy, so they are both wrong; bad in some way.