Kojima's own MGS games just went from "Rated T" to "Brutal, Hard R"

#1GradyHooverPosted 4/14/2014 7:57:27 AM
Personally, I don't really care for that. I was fine with the downshift to "T" when he did Peace Walker, but the upshift to "realistic torture and brutal rape sequences and depictions of child murderers/soldiers" is uh... not really in line with the overall tone of the franchise, which has always had a delightful ridiculousness to it. I mean, I know Raiden was mentioned as being a child soldier, but that was just verbal. This is... grimdark to a level few games have ever gone.

Part of me can't help but wonder if this is Kojima just trying to see how far he can go before someone finally fires him. He's been talking for years now about how sick he is of making MGS games, but Konami won't let him do anything else...
---
Metroid, Ys and Mega Man. Best of the best.
#2beardface21Posted 4/14/2014 8:27:30 AM
The stuff that Kojima is trying to achieve is grim but it's just the vision he's trying to go for. Movies and books have done stuff like this before. So why not video games? It's about time video games start breaking barriers too. It actually does go with the tone of the series, especially Big Boss's side of the series. From hero to demon.

And seeing how Kojima is a producer of his own company, and is the bread and butter for Konami, I highly doubt he's going anywhere.
---
Ghost Recon FS: Where you can be invisible and a noob at the same time! PSN:usfstu18
#3GradyHoover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 9:45:12 AM
beardface21 posted...
The stuff that Kojima is trying to achieve is grim but it's just the vision he's trying to go for. Movies and books have done stuff like this before. So why not video games? It's about time video games start breaking barriers too. It actually does go with the tone of the series, especially Big Boss's side of the series. From hero to demon.

Big Boss' last game was the T-rated "Peace Walker," so even in just his storyline, this is quite a shift.
---
#4beardface21Posted 4/14/2014 10:27:08 AM(edited)
It was rated T because it was a handheld and Kojima knew alot of underagers game on the PSP in Japan. The torture scene with Strangelove had her use laughing rods instead of electric rods I think. But the background of the story was still dark. Sandinistas and CIA using drugs to finance their operations, CIA killing Sandinistas after torturing them for info. Hot Coldman throwing down Huey, who is handicapped, down a flight of stairs. Chico being an underage soldier. It just didn't explicitly show gore and blood and naughty words that typically show up in M rated games.
---
Ghost Recon FS: Where you can be invisible and a noob at the same time! PSN:usfstu18
#5riddlebox89Posted 4/14/2014 11:03:27 AM
Is this really a bad thing though? Quite a few people felt that Metal Gear was just becoming a childish parody of itself with how MGS4 had poop jokes every half hour and that so unfunny it's sad "Snake it's time to switch discs! Oh...we're on blu ray!" 'joke'

Really, it's about time Metal Gear grew the hell up and quit with the silly nonsense.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#6kikookPosted 4/14/2014 12:12:16 PM
MGS has been rated M until MGS Peace Walker if I'm not wrong (the main games).

A better way to express this in my opinion is to say he's going from M to a hard A. He's trying to get the game banned in other countries.
---
Bumbleness Supreme Brady.
#7riddlebox89Posted 4/14/2014 12:18:09 PM
kikook posted...

A better way to express this in my opinion is to say he's going from M to a hard A. He's trying to get the game banned in other countries.

*facepalm*

People saying stuff like this have little to no understanding of what constitutes an AO rating.
---
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.
#8GradyHoover(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2014 12:37:59 PM
kikook posted...

True enough. It wouldn't ever be AO in North America, though. But yeah, it'll almost certainly be censored in places like Germany.
---
#9EpicKingdom_Posted 4/14/2014 9:09:13 PM
I love the real world theme to it.
---
http://i.imgur.com/vNpHjIg.png
#10sevil_yelimsPosted 4/14/2014 9:21:06 PM
The only T rated MGS games from the ESRB that I recall are Peace Walker and Portable Ops Plus. The series overall has been Mature rated, and while this game pushes the M rating it's not as though the series has never aimed for the adult audience.
---
I want it all.