While I still miss David Hayter, Kiefer Sutherland sounds fantastic

#11MisguidedPiratePosted 6/12/2014 9:08:42 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
ScoobySnack posted...
Lmfao. No he doesn't.

And Richard Doyle isn't David Hayter. Thus, he disagrees, and so does Kojima. Lol.

kojima isnt right about everything.

just like how george lucas isnt right to change his movies and our collective memories of them.

only hayter should be the snake that player control.

And nor are you right about everything. :3
---
XBL : Crossbit
#12ScoobySnackPosted 6/12/2014 9:11:23 AM
GigerSupreme posted...
kojima isnt right about everything.

And you are?

I said he disagrees. Never said anything about anyone being right or wrong. Understand context.

just like how george lucas isnt right to change his movies and our collective memories of them.

Gotta love that self-entitled mentality.

only hayter should be the snake that player control.

Interesting. Do you have any other made-up rules that should be imposed for the fans to play MGS?
---
"Hallucination..."
The Six-Man Power Trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhWheE_xas
#13beardface21Posted 6/12/2014 9:36:12 AM
Oh god I knew this thread will end up like this.

@TC I agree with you, Sutherland sounded great, and the Hayter brigade just needs to get over it.

It's coming to a point now that they seem to be fans of David Hayter and not of MGS.
---
Ghost Recon FS: Where you can be invisible and a noob at the same time! PSN:usfstu18
#14Psycho_KenshinPosted 6/12/2014 5:49:05 PM
beardface21 posted...
It's coming to a point now that they seem to be fans of David Hayter and not of MGS.

That's not really a fair assessment, not every fan needs to agree that Kiefer is a great choice. Pretty much anytime you say somebody's "fandom" is questioned because they disagree with something, that makes you wonder what the point of discussing entertainment is.

Anyways, I like the idea of Big Boss finally being differentiated more from Solid Snake, their differences were subtle for the most part until the end of PeaceWalker. But from what we've heard so far, I genuinely think Kiefer is not doing as good a job as Dave, and actually sounds younger and less gruff.

I do think Kiefer is doing okay, and I'll wait for the full game to come out to judge, but I do think Dave would've done a better job.
---
One Piece: Pirates with style!
-= Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action =-
#15acolytesPosted 6/12/2014 8:26:42 PM
I love Hayter, but I wasn't a fan of him bringing his Old Snake voice to PW.

I'm cool with Sutherland. I think his voice fits and I really liked him in the E3 trailer.
---
"I want your blood...I want your souls...And I want 'em both, right now." - Johnny Ringo, Tombstone
#16Dumb DunmerPosted 6/14/2014 4:30:51 PM
Kiefer is okay. Hayter was a lot better. If they were going to replace him, I would've preferred if they got a VA who could do a passing impression. Just because I like the series, doesn't mean I agree with every choice.

Not a disaster, but a mistake imo.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#17dantecloudfreakPosted 6/14/2014 5:29:35 PM(edited)
Dumb Dunmer posted...
Kiefer is okay. Hayter was a lot better. If they were going to replace him, I would've preferred if they got a VA who could do a passing impression. Just because I like the series, doesn't mean I agree with every choice.

Not a disaster, but a mistake imo.

"Passing impression" why?Big Boss is not Solid Snake and he certainly can't sound like MSG 4 Snake/Peace Walker Big Boss at this point. His generic tough guy voice is replaceable, could have gotten Steven Blum for instance but that's not what they were going for.

Keifer sounds jaded, practically dead inside, depressed and normal(Hayter's voice was a hilarious exageration of tough guy action heroes which was good for regular Solid but not Big Boss here) which fit Big Boss more. Solidus the "perfect" clone in the english version atleast sounded nothing like Snake or Liquid so why should Big Boss when around the accelerated age of Solidus by MGS2?. I do like Hayter's Solid Snake voice from MGS 1/2 but that would'nt fit Big Boss at this point of his life.
---
If mercy is your aim be relentless in your mercy
-Lucifer morningstar
#18cooolioPosted 6/14/2014 7:56:53 PM
No, hell no. David Hayter's voice would not suit the look of Big Boss at all. There are just some characters who would look and stupid if they were voiced by certain people. I understand that David Hayter has been voicing snake for years, but no, quit being blind.

Now the whole thing that happened with Sam Fisher, yes, that was complete bs. The voice actor was so young and they even made the character look like he was in his 20s or early 30s or something. But in this case you have an older voice for an older looking character. It is just, now leave it be.
#19Dumb DunmerPosted 6/14/2014 8:09:02 PM
Because I like the voice and associate it with both the Solid Snake character. Kiefer doesn't sound any older than Snake did in MGS4. To me having Old Big Boss be a different actor was to avoid the sillyness of two characters talking with the same voice, same as all the clones. You could say it was for a deep story reason, but it was about audience perception.

Kiefer to me is just a gravelly voiced guy, who sometimes screams at people. He doesn't sound depressed or dead inside. He sounds like he's mildly annoyed and impatient. He's fine, that's it. I get they used him for mo cap, they felt like he was a better live actor than David Hayter. Sam Fisher was recast for similar reasons. He talks, he screams, he whispers. That's it, he doesn't have a more impressive nuanced range than Hayter. He's okay. The Japanese VA stayed the same, so it can't be because his voice had to change.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#20-Oath-Posted 6/14/2014 8:57:26 PM
Big Boss is his own person. I think Sutherland is doing a great job.
---
3DS FC: JMO 0834-1793-8249