Big Boss > Solid Snake

#11Psycho_KenshinPosted 6/12/2014 5:27:12 PM(edited)
There's a reason they're still calling Big Boss "Snake". Marketing for one, it seems like it's higher profile and an easier sell if the casual buyer knows it stars that "Snake" they heard of. For example a recent IGN preview says "Snake, the protagonist of the series, returns". Like there is only one Snake and it's been this guy.

Personally, I like both Snakes, but so much of Big Boss's current character is just borrowed from Solid Snake. In MGS3 he was practically just a variation of Solid Snake, also says funny stuff about cardboard boxes, uses the same catch phrases, it's almost breaking the fourth wall, like he's just another version of Solid Snake, the video game character we like. And of course, until now had the same great voice actor conveying the same emotions.

It's almost like it's a time travel story, here's what Solid Snake would be like in the 60s, now here's Solid Snake in the 80s after a coma, etc. Or a "what if", what if Snake had different or tragic circumstances that made him end up in a different place.

They've made Big Boss so similar to Solid Snake, and still call him Snake, such that the distinction is not that big of a thing. To me it's more like saying which stories do you like better, did you like the one with the stoic likable protagonist and the Shagohad, or the one with the stoic likable protagonist and Metal Gear Rex, etc. When somebody says they think Big Boss has a better history, they're pretty much just saying he was in stories they liked better.

I personally prefer Solid Snake, but I like them both, and just saying, the current character of Big Boss owes a lot to the already established character Solid Snake. I think it would've been cool if at least once they sold a Big Boss game with him going by Big Boss. Or Saladin, for continuity.

So just to go a bit deeper here, can we separate the characters from the stories and just rank the character's for their personality? And if we do, aren't the differences so far fairly subtle? I know Hideo will deliver the goods and have Big Boss go off the deep end somewhat, and that ominous speech at the end of PeaceWalker hinted at that. But then he's back to the very normal nice guy Snake in Ground Zeroes... but still, I'm confident he'll deliver some real dark character change in Phantom Pain.

And just to cover it, of course I realize Snake is a genetic clone of Big Boss. But this wasn't established in Metal Gear or MG2 Solid Snake, and until MGS3 Big Boss was just a villain. I think to make the transition to Big Boss easier and more palatable they chose to make him another Snake, which works fine, and I'm not complaining. I just find it makes this kind of comparison on who's better to be a big vague, because they're not just from the same DNA in the plot, they're from the same DNA when it comes to writing and character.

tl;dr I like them both, and find a second character going by Snake with much of the Snake personality and tropes isn't all that much of a departure, so far anyway.
---
One Piece: Pirates with style!
-= Metal Gear Solid: Tactical Espionage Action =-
#12Dragonclaw_ZEROPosted 6/12/2014 6:20:41 PM
Well, the gameplay mechanic's has diverged quite abit at least. Big Boss Era started to get 4 Four Man Teams in PO and PW, or Open Worlds in GZ and PP. They do rather play differently, especially since Solid Snake hasn't had that many new games at all and most of them are still variations of the original Metal Gear all the way back in the 80's.

Honestly, I rather miss Solid Snake. I'm starting to get Big Boss fatigue at this point, and hearing everyone badmouth the only Snake that didn't decide to **** the World because of personal grudges and actually succeed in making the world a better place than before is rather hurtful.
---
Repeat Infinitum.
If you don't get the above post, just assume I'm being sarcastic.
#13Naked_Snake1964Posted 6/13/2014 1:29:13 AM
Psycho_Kenshin posted...
There's a reason they're still calling Big Boss "Snake". Marketing for one, it seems like it's higher profile and an easier sell if the casual buyer knows it stars that "Snake" they heard of. For example a recent IGN preview says "Snake, the protagonist of the series, returns". Like there is only one Snake and it's been this guy.

Personally, I like both Snakes, but so much of Big Boss's current character is just borrowed from Solid Snake. In MGS3 he was practically just a variation of Solid Snake, also says funny stuff about cardboard boxes, uses the same catch phrases, it's almost breaking the fourth wall, like he's just another version of Solid Snake, the video game character we like. And of course, until now had the same great voice actor conveying the same emotions.

It's almost like it's a time travel story, here's what Solid Snake would be like in the 60s, now here's Solid Snake in the 80s after a coma, etc. Or a "what if", what if Snake had different or tragic circumstances that made him end up in a different place.

They've made Big Boss so similar to Solid Snake, and still call him Snake, such that the distinction is not that big of a thing. To me it's more like saying which stories do you like better, did you like the one with the stoic likable protagonist and the Shagohad, or the one with the stoic likable protagonist and Metal Gear Rex, etc. When somebody says they think Big Boss has a better history, they're pretty much just saying he was in stories they liked better.

I personally prefer Solid Snake, but I like them both, and just saying, the current character of Big Boss owes a lot to the already established character Solid Snake. I think it would've been cool if at least once they sold a Big Boss game with him going by Big Boss. Or Saladin, for continuity.

So just to go a bit deeper here, can we separate the characters from the stories and just rank the character's for their personality? And if we do, aren't the differences so far fairly subtle? I know Hideo will deliver the goods and have Big Boss go off the deep end somewhat, and that ominous speech at the end of PeaceWalker hinted at that. But then he's back to the very normal nice guy Snake in Ground Zeroes... but still, I'm confident he'll deliver some real dark character change in Phantom Pain.

And just to cover it, of course I realize Snake is a genetic clone of Big Boss. But this wasn't established in Metal Gear or MG2 Solid Snake, and until MGS3 Big Boss was just a villain. I think to make the transition to Big Boss easier and more palatable they chose to make him another Snake, which works fine, and I'm not complaining. I just find it makes this kind of comparison on who's better to be a big vague, because they're not just from the same DNA in the plot, they're from the same DNA when it comes to writing and character.

tl;dr I like them both, and find a second character going by Snake with much of the Snake personality and tropes isn't all that much of a departure, so far anyway.

I really don't see how they're so inseparable. I can see a few distinct differences easily. They're alike, but in more of a father-son kind of way than a perfect clone.
---
"Kept you waiting, huh?"
#14ZBug_Posted 6/13/2014 6:58:11 PM
Girgante posted...
I prefer Solid Snake. He's the only Snake with the resolve to not turn to an 'ends justify the means' type of guy to instill change in the world... which ended up in the other Snakes doing extremely horrible things. He formed an organisation with Otacon to change the world into a better place without doing such things.

Even though he says otherwise - for me, SS is a true hero.

This. I always did like BB more, but in truth, SS has more adversity. They both had to deal with horrible things, but the difference is, SS didn't become a villain from it.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" - Light Yagami
NNID: LLBCrook - PSN: ZBugCrook
#15Ether101Posted 6/14/2014 11:52:22 AM
Big Boss is a mess of a a character. So much of what makes MGS3 is based on the fact that he was already full of hate so by the end of the game that's all he was left with. But because Kojima decided to take out his Japanese heritage in favor of making more marketable in the West all of that was ruined.
---
Complacency can be a sin. Gamers' have lost their pride.
#16NerpraptorPosted 6/14/2014 1:39:11 PM
Solid Snake killed his father and twin brother.... Big Boss killed his mentor.

Both have a very strong rivalry element in their story which makes for a very gripping tale. I think in general people with be bias to whichever game they enjoyed playing the most. I personally had the most fun with MGS3, so Big Boss is the best in my eyes.But for people who loved playing MGS1 and watching the interactive movie of MGS4, they will probably feel more attached to Solid.
---
What do you mean I ain't kind?
I'm just not your kind!
#17CasualAFPosted 6/16/2014 1:27:33 AM
In terms of who is the better soldier I suspect it's probably Solid Snake > Big Boss.
But in terms of who I like the best, it's probably Big Boss > Solid Snake, with very little in it.

What I'm sure of is that MGS series is awesome. I'm really pumped for phantom pain after the E3 trailer.
#18JusticeSwordPosted 6/16/2014 1:38:10 AM
Solid snake was the puppet of the patriots for almost his entire life, including the points where he killed big boss.
---
PSN:TheDragonzord
>_> Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles HD remix please
#19nclrwntrPosted 6/16/2014 12:45:22 PM
Big Boss is so much more fleshed out. Patriot. Betrayed. Disillusioned. Villain.

Solid Snake hasn't been fleshed out as much. Boring. Mullet.
#20Rikkus_dadPosted 6/16/2014 2:32:12 PM(edited)
Solid. I recently just finished replaying MGS1 after a long time and I loved his "I'm just doing my ******* job" attitude to everything and he comes off as extremely professional and experienced. Big Boss comes across as more human but Solid to me is the better soldier in terms of just getting the job done and not really giving a **** (apart from some Meryl scenes, and I haven't played 2+4 in a while so I can't remember if he's the same or more emotionally attached to his mission, I do recall him coming across as an idiot and less professional in 4 though).
---
It's "I couldn't care less" NOT "I could care less"!! Why do 90% of English speakers get this wrong?