For those that don't have smartglass, here is what you're missing.

#1RyanJMcDPosted 12/26/2013 10:30:26 PM
In short, not much.

I upgraded my phone to a Samsung Galaxy which supports Smartglass. I was all excited at first, but now...meh.

Some guy keeps calling my phone (in the app). Most of the time it's to talk about random crap. Remember Otis from DR1? Kinda like that, but more useless. Like calling me up to discuss if the zombies might still be a little bit human and understand, on some level, what they are doing. The good thing is that you can pause to take the calls. (Though one time he said something like "Bring that back to the safehouse" and the kinect picked up the word 'back' and unpaused my game...right in front of a herd.

This is what I got so far out of it, A mission to go a safehouse and clear it out (I had already done it). For that I got a code to those locked metal crates you see everywhere. There wasn't much impressive inside. A couple of melee weapons and a crossbow and a handgun, I think. After that I got an ongoing side mission to bring 4 food items to a box in any safehouse, and each time you do that, you get a code to either open a box or call in a drone strike.

The drone strikes are okay, Visualy cool, but nothing a couple of explosives or area attack weapon such as the electric traffic light heavy attack can't do.

I also have a mission to go blow up some gang motorcycles and go to a motel and recover a stash of goodies, which I havn't gotten to yet.

So it's really not that big a deal.

I do think it's kinda crappy on MS's part to have those locked boxes out there that you think is part of the main game and you might get to open. They don't tell you those are SG boxes, and after you beat the game, you might be thinking you missed something.

There are some other things in the SG app such as being able to find a specific store such as hardware or firearms, searching for specific item categories near you (blunt, knife, pushable, ect) and if there is one close by, it will show you where. You can call for backup and a random survivor will show up to help, and you can also display the map.

But there is absolutely no reason why those features couldn't have been incorporated into the main game.

Why have to have my phone on and running down the batteries, so that I can pause the game, put down the controller, grab my phone, look for a store I need, put the phone back down, grab the controller when I can just hit pause, go to the menu and select the store I need to find. Or hell, I don't know, just put the store names on the map?? Maybe they might not be known until the first time you go in, but even that would be better.

I really hope they don't make this a thing from now on where more and more game functionality must be used from an extra devices. It doesn't add to the immersion, it takes away from it.

I can see using an extra device as a second screen to display the map, K/D scores, mission objectives, what have you. But that should be a choice, and not a requirement. It's not fair to people who don't have tons of money for extra devices. Just because you scraped up 500+ bucks for an X1 and a game doesn't mean you also have an extra 300 laying around to drop on a tablet to do something that could easily be done from a controller.
---
Jesus Christ! what the ****'s blown up now?
-Me after 6 months in Iraq
#2ApexMjolnirPosted 12/26/2013 11:22:45 PM
I used it on my tablet... while it was on the Dock... charging the whole time.

Still completely useless... I was under the impression something useful, like a map or something, could be used... SmartGlass has WAY more potential than Kinect... and since you can turn it off, and upgrade it if necessary, it is much more useful. Oh. and its free.

developers REALLY need to figure out a better way to use it...

Microsoft needs to figure out how to use it... I would tell them, but they wouldn't pay me, So I won't.
---
GT: Wonderpill
#3donate123Posted 12/26/2013 11:25:05 PM
RyanJMcD posted...
I can see using an extra device as a second screen to display the map, K/D scores, mission objectives, what have you. But that should be a choice, and not a requirement. It's not fair to people who don't have tons of money for extra devices. Just because you scraped up 500+ bucks for an X1 and a game doesn't mean you also have an extra 300 laying around to drop on a tablet to do something that could easily be done from a controller.

It is a choice no one is forcing you to use smartglass so quit complaining it would be different if smartglass gave you things that couldnt be found without it like special weapons but it doesnt so please do us all a favor and shut the hell up your complaning topics are getting old
#4germanator05Posted 12/26/2013 11:32:01 PM
donate123 posted...
RyanJMcD posted...

It is a choice no one is forcing you to use smartglass so quit complaining it would be different if smartglass gave you things that couldnt be found without it like special weapons but it doesnt so please do us all a favor and shut the hell up your complaning topics are getting old

Just like no one is forcing people to play nightmare mode to get the x-buster when it could be easily dropped. Your complaining about everything is getting old.
---
3ds FC: 1993-8185-6755
Currently playing: Pokemon X
#5RyanJMcD(Topic Creator)Posted 12/26/2013 11:46:30 PM
donate123 posted...
RyanJMcD posted...

Your complaining about my complaining is getting old. If you don't like them, don't read them.

And SG *does* give you things that you can't get without it. Like drone strikes, ability to find stores, access to weapons lockers. Those sorts of things.

I'm sorry (no I'm not) not every topic I post is dedicated to singing the praises of everything Dead Rising and Microsoft. It's a valid complaint I have. And of the 50 or so posts I have in active topics, I think 4 or 5 are complaints.

Gamefaqs isn't just dedicated to making topics that please donate123. It's also a forum to ask for help, provide tips, general discussion AND to voice concerns about games and other subjects.

I think smartglass can be useful as a companion to games, but it shouldn't be used to be the sole access to stuff that should be avaliable to everyone.

Imagine if you bought a car, but you found out the radio won't display the station numbers, and you only had one "error" warning light unless you fired up a smartphone to see what they were, and you couldn't turn on your fog lights unless you downloaded Ford's Fog-lite Express app. Sure you don't need any of those things. You can just listen to a station until they play some music to see if it's the station you're looking for, and the fog lights are just a nice bonus to people who have tablets, but you'd probably think it was pretty stupid since all that stuff is already on your car.

So get over yourself. I have a right to find something I don't like about a game, and you have the right to carry your ass over to Gamespot if it offends you so much. If I was just trolling and making topics like "DR3 sucks and anyone who likes it is stupid" you'd have a point. But I'm not and you don't.
---
Jesus Christ! what the ****'s blown up now?
-Me after 6 months in Iraq
#6ZZoMBiE13Posted 12/27/2013 1:32:24 AM
Yeah, I was hoping for more. I don't mind if they want to make companion apps like this, but I can't fathom why it was forced in. Well I can fathom it, as a way to get people to download the app and try it I guess.

But I hope in the future it's used to a better degree and can be optional. As you say, there's just nothing in there that couldn't have been in the game.
---
---
That which doesn't kill me, probably didn't try very hard.
#7kingbahamut83Posted 12/27/2013 10:09:26 AM
I've used it once for DR. Got BF4 yesterday but didn't have a chance to check it out for MP since it was still installing while I played the campaign. It has potential. Smartglass already does more and supports more games on the One vs the 360. Only games on 360 I can think of that ACTUALLY do something besides open a web wrapper are Halo 4 and Forza Horizon. Ascend: hand of Kul is supposed to do something but I can't get it to load past the first screen.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
Commander of Shop Wreckerz clan
#8Malum_In_SePosted 12/27/2013 10:28:49 AM
I like the potential of Smart Glass a lot. I did not think the integration worked well here. I liked getting more missions and learning more back story via the app. I did not like the guy calling me Otis-style every 5 minutes at time. It took me out of the game to listen to him. Honestly, after a while, I would pause to press the answer call button and then not listen to it.
#9Kuebel33Posted 12/27/2013 1:29:35 PM
I kind of like the smartglass features of DR3. Though I will say, there is no chance in hell of using them when you play multiplayer because it does take time to mess around with it during gameplay.
---
Wii U: kuebel33 - Wii: 8877 3660 6443 4949 - XboxLive, psn, & Steam: DirtiestQBizzy
3DS: Q : 2449-4627-4540 | playing: KZ, AC4, Knack, SM3DW, DR3, CoD:G
#10germanator05Posted 12/27/2013 8:59:52 PM(edited)
RyanJMcD posted...
donate123 posted...
RyanJMcD posted...

Your complaining about my complaining is getting old. If you don't like them, don't read them.

And SG *does* give you things that you can't get without it. Like drone strikes, ability to find stores, access to weapons lockers. Those sorts of things.

I'm sorry (no I'm not) not every topic I post is dedicated to singing the praises of everything Dead Rising and Microsoft. It's a valid complaint I have. And of the 50 or so posts I have in active topics, I think 4 or 5 are complaints.

Gamefaqs isn't just dedicated to making topics that please donate123. It's also a forum to ask for help, provide tips, general discussion AND to voice concerns about games and other subjects.

I think smartglass can be useful as a companion to games, but it shouldn't be used to be the sole access to stuff that should be avaliable to everyone.

Imagine if you bought a car, but you found out the radio won't display the station numbers, and you only had one "error" warning light unless you fired up a smartphone to see what they were, and you couldn't turn on your fog lights unless you downloaded Ford's Fog-lite Express app. Sure you don't need any of those things. You can just listen to a station until they play some music to see if it's the station you're looking for, and the fog lights are just a nice bonus to people who have tablets, but you'd probably think it was pretty stupid since all that stuff is already on your car.

So get over yourself. I have a right to find something I don't like about a game, and you have the right to carry your ass over to Gamespot if it offends you so much. If I was just trolling and making topics like "DR3 sucks and anyone who likes it is stupid" you'd have a point. But I'm not and you don't.

You really should call him Dante123, cause donate123 is a typo made by his brother and it hurts his feelings when you call him by that name :/

Edit: also thanks for the info on the smart glass. If all you can do with it is call for assistance (which is shunned here XD), then clearly it is a waste.
---
3ds FC: 1993-8185-6755
Currently playing: Pokemon X