how to equip/use weapons?

#1DeverothPosted 9/3/2013 10:58:23 PM
I know this is a moronic question, as it should be basic knowledge. but since this game's manual is absolute garbage, I need some help.
I'm playing as a monk and have been using the default lightning punch attack, doing 3 damage. great. now I just picked up an axe which should do more damage. I equipped it, my char is holding it, but i am still doing only 3, and can still only use the lightning punch. how do I swing the f****** axe? if the only option for attack is to use skills, what are weapons for? is it a monk thing? can they not equip and use weapons?
help please...I haven't played diablo since 2002, and this game's documentation explains NOTHING.
---
IT'S ALL PIPES!
#2fffezPosted 9/3/2013 11:04:50 PM
someone mentioned earlier that if you don't have a skill equipped to a button, then you'll swing your axe. the thing is, you're just gimping yourself that way cause you're just doing weapon damage, not weapon+skill damage (that's the way i understood it anyways)
---
uhhh
#3Deveroth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 11:12:03 PM
...but there is no extra damage.
lightning punch with no weapon - 3 damage
lightning punch holding axe - 3 damage, and the axe disappears during the animation.
---
IT'S ALL PIPES!
#4fffezPosted 9/3/2013 11:13:01 PM
huh.

don't know what to tell you then, maybe someone else can help
---
uhhh
#5Deveroth(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 11:32:24 PM
anyone? help?
or does this issue not bother a single one of you guys?
---
IT'S ALL PIPES!
#6Scottydont19Posted 9/4/2013 12:53:22 AM
Deveroth posted...
anyone? help?
or does this issue not bother a single one of you guys?

Not sure what to tell you on this one. I just started playing g a monk a little while ago, and at lvl 11 I'm def doing more than 3 DMG. If anything the monk is tearing through monsters with just the default A skill.