Help with staff of herding

#1Jemas777Posted 9/11/2013 9:02:54 AM
I am having issues as to where/how to gather the mushroom and medal for the staff of Herding. I was hoping that someone out there would be able to explain it a little better or be able to walk me through it. I understand that it doesn't spawn all the time, I'm just unsure if we are even looking in the right area at the right time under the right circumstances. If you want to do this in game with me, I will be online about 7pm EST.
---
Beat me if you can. Survive if I let you...
GT: AnyOLName(360)
#216bitweaponPosted 9/11/2013 9:04:45 AM
Black Mushroom
Act 1, Tristram Cathedral [Level 1]
It will be glowing purple and easy to see.
If I recall correctly, it sparkles too.

Wirt's Bell
Act 2, Hidden Camp
Sold by Squirt (the little Merchant girl)
She's standing very slightly northeast of the waypoint in the center of the camp.
The Wirt's Bell item will be in her Bag.

Gibbering Gemstone
Act 3, Caverns of Frost [Level 2]
Load the Quest: Destroy Ballistae
Use Waypoint: Bridge of Korsilkk to get to the Fields of Slaughter
Do not destroy the Ballistaes.
Look for the Caverns of Frost.
If Icefall Caves exists, then the Caverns of Frost will not.
Dropped by Chiltara

Plan: Staff of Herding
Act 4, Heaven
Load the Quest: Prime Evil
Dropped by Izual
He's on The Great Span after the Silver Spire [Level 1],

All pieces are Legendary items so having a high Magic Find will help.

All pieces will be placed into your Bag in your inventory so you won't sell them by mistake with other weapons/armors.

You can not trade or give any of these items to another person. You can drop them but no one can pick them up besides you.

To make the Staff of Herding:
Open your inventory and read the Plans: Staff of Herding.
Go to the Blacksmith with the 3 pieces (Black Mushroom, Wirt's Bell, Gibbering Gemstone) and craft it.

To get to Whimsyshire:
Act 1, A Shattered Crown, New Tristram
Go down Old Tristram Road and you'll find the cow corpse on the east side.
You do not have to equip the staff, just have it in your inventory.
The Cow King Ghost will appear. Talk to him.
#3VeliconisPosted 9/11/2013 9:07:17 AM(edited)
It's in Cathedral level 1. It's not always there, however. It's hard to miss if you explore all the areas. When you go to the area it's supposed to be in, you will see a rather noticeable group of mushrooms growing out of the ground. Go to it and voila, it will pop out.

You can farm for it on Normal mode with it set to Easy if you want to make it as fast as possible. If you don't see it, leave the game, start it up again, check again and if it's not there, do it again. Rinse and repeat until you get it.

Edit: In response to the above post: Magic Find has nothing to do with how often the Black Mushroom shows up. That's almost like saying Magic Find has something to do with how often Development Hell shows up in the Cemetery of the Forsaken. :|

It just randomly appears, much like the unique mob that drops the Gibbering Gemstone (another Staff of Herding component) in the Caverns of Frost. >_>
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.
#4MMF_LegacyPosted 9/11/2013 9:22:41 AM
Is there no Liquid Rainbow in the console?
#5VeliconisPosted 9/11/2013 9:26:54 AM

That I do not know. I know Leoric's Shinbone isn't in the game, but I don't know about the Liquid Rainbow.
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, they're = they are, their = belonging to them, there = not here.
#6wareuphPosted 9/11/2013 9:27:28 AM
MMF_Legacy posted...

No thankfully :)
---
GT: Metal Lloyd
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/MetalLloyd-1904/
#7RizzonaterPosted 9/11/2013 9:28:56 AM
MMF_Legacy posted...

Right, no shinbone and no rainbow
---
VT 4-16-07 Never Forget. Go Hokies!!
PSN & GT: Rizzonater
#8VeliconisPosted 9/11/2013 9:29:21 AM
So, we just need the Black Mushroom, Gibbering Gemstone and Wirt's Bell to make the Staff of Herding after we get the plans?
---
#9Jemas777(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2013 9:51:52 AM
16bitweapon posted...
Black Mushroom

This is the one I have the most questions about, do I have to "clear it" each time from fresh or just keep visiting it? Also, I was told that I had to trigger the next quest then revisit the Cathedral after clearing it once(I forget the name of the quest, but it's the once right after you clear it the first time).
---
Beat me if you can. Survive if I let you...
GT: AnyOLName(360)
#10VeliconisPosted 9/11/2013 9:54:45 AM
16bitweapon posted...
Black Mushroom

This is the one I have the most questions about, do I have to "clear it" each time from fresh or just keep visiting it? Also, I was told that I had to trigger the next quest then revisit the Cathedral after clearing it once(I forget the name of the quest, but it's the once right after you clear it the first time).

If it doesn't show up the first time, exit to the main menu and start the game again and look for it again. Repeat this until you find it.

As far as having to trigger a quest, I'm not sure. I'd imagine any quest that allows you to have access to Cathedral level 1 should be fine.
---