I love platformers but why are they always so short?

#31Redd_WhitePosted 10/29/2013 4:36:59 AM
Goombacrusher posted...
It's easy to make an RPG long because not much attention has to be paid to level design and the gameplay is inherently slow.

Rrright, tell that to the tales of series and their lightning fast battles and puzzles ridden dungeons.

BOT, there ARE long platformers (3D ones at least). Actually, the genre used to be quite long on average, the spyro games, the banjo kazooie (especially the second), mario 64 and sunshine, both sonic adventure were all meaty. It's only been a few years since nintendo and sega have decided to churn out on a yearly basis 4 hours long platformers.
#32AkaimizuPosted 10/29/2013 7:51:55 AM(edited)
Those are still grindy RPGs. Let's take an example of one RPG that doesn't have much grinding in it at all. A game with pretty much straight progression. Panzer Dragon Saga. You can finish that game in around 15 hours, first time.

But seriously. 15 hours for a straight up action game is pretty good, in my book. We're talking about from start to finish here. They do intend for people to go back and repeat stuff to get better at previous levels. These are games with no slow parts. You control a character and it's straight action with hardly any breaks save you stopping play and walking away from the game.

The majority of RPGs are meant to play through once. Extremely rare exceptions are ones with completely branching paths to different results (and no, not including ones with different endings that one could achieve by saving right near the end of the game).

Now for RPGs, you have to consider how much of that time is sitting through dialogue, doing inventory/skill management (that's a bigger one that most ever give credit to), and grinding up levels.

---
Check out my Animal Crossing Remixes: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzIIDVp2_oUgB4EqH5IpevzwWlMxKMPvy
Wonderful 101 tips: http://youtu.be/Y2N4AdNOItg
#33Too_many_namesPosted 10/29/2013 7:51:24 AM
Redd_White posted...
Goombacrusher posted...
It's easy to make an RPG long because not much attention has to be paid to level design and the gameplay is inherently slow.

Rrright, tell that to the tales of series and their lightning fast battles and puzzles ridden dungeons.

BOT, there ARE long platformers (3D ones at least). Actually, the genre used to be quite long on average, the spyro games, the banjo kazooie (especially the second), mario 64 and sunshine, both sonic adventure were all meaty. It's only been a few years since nintendo and sega have decided to churn out on a yearly basis 4 hours long platformers.

Sonic Adventure 2 was long? Unless you count getting S Rank on all levels as 100%, that game wasn't longer than Galaxy.

And 3D Land may have been short, but it definitely lasted more than 4 hours.
---
I killed that old man because his paradox was messing with my head.
#34AkaimizuPosted 10/29/2013 7:54:06 AM
3D Land took me at least 16-20 hours. I averaged around an hour per world. Again, going for the 3 large coins each level. That's part of the real part of the challenge for me. I don't finish the game until I get those.
---
Check out my Animal Crossing Remixes: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzIIDVp2_oUgB4EqH5IpevzwWlMxKMPvy
Wonderful 101 tips: http://youtu.be/Y2N4AdNOItg
#35SpunkySixPosted 10/29/2013 7:55:36 AM
harvestmoonmike posted...
More content and options compliments the more strategic gameplay. A greater selection of attacks is useful when facing different types of opponents that play to different strengths.

And they couldn't have that in a platformed because?
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#36xenosaga123Posted 10/29/2013 8:04:12 AM(edited)
You don't know short until you played Lollipop Chainsaw, or Sonic 2 for that matter. or TMNT arcade.
#37McmadnessV3Posted 10/29/2013 8:45:46 AM
Redd_White posted...
Goombacrusher posted...

Oh don't give me that crap, I can beat most of those games in a day, hell my best play time for Banjo kazooie is 4 hours 28 minutes.
---
Thank you for taking the time to read this sig.
This sig loves you.
#38harvestmoonmikePosted 10/29/2013 9:07:25 AM
SpunkySix posted...
More content and options compliments the more strategic gameplay. A greater selection of attacks is useful when facing different types of opponents that play to different strengths.

Because RPGs involve strategic gameplay decisions by nature, Platformers don't. Platformers are running and jumping across platforms, RPGs are carefully deciding attacks against a wide variety of different stat-based opponents.

Yes, there is a bit of strategy and action in platformers as well, but too much and the focus of platforming would be diminished.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6t4FNRD.png
Duck Hunt Dog for Smash Bros.
#39trenkenPosted 10/29/2013 9:10:29 AM
fissionprimer posted...
I can't understand this, and RPGs are always LOOONG most of the time (but there are short RPGs), are there any LOOOOONG platformers i don't know about?

Its just that the levels are so short and they can only make so many levels. In 3D World looks like most of the levels can be finished in 1 minute. To make that as long as an RPG they would have to make 100s of levels. Not realistic.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#40SpunkySixPosted 10/29/2013 10:38:27 AM
SpunkySix posted...

Because RPGs involve strategic gameplay decisions by nature, Platformers don't. Platformers are running and jumping across platforms, RPGs are carefully deciding attacks against a wide variety of different stat-based opponents.

Yes, there is a bit of strategy and action in platformers as well, but too much and the focus of platforming would be diminished.

No, it wouldn't. Not if done right. A variety of attacks that add to battle strategy, in a well designed platformer, could be put to very good use in platforming. You'd have to select the right attack for the right enemy which could double as the right jump for the right situation, since jumping and attacking are very connected, and you'd have to decide quickly. That's not impossible in a platformer... it's called "not being shallow".

The Banjo Kazooie series did it to an extent, but I can see it being done with much more platforming focus and working even better.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.