Pls never the style of Mario 64/Sunshine ever again

#1Wiiboy4everPosted 6/16/2014 12:23:02 PM
I posted this on a SM3DW music video, but I'm posting it here too for kicks.

64 and SS were both interesting gaming experiences, but nonetheless need to never be explicitly revisited again.
For all you "64/SS were amauzing since theyre open world!!1oneone", here's some news:
64 and Sunsine's gameplay was not open world. It was a central hub that indirectly interconnected completely unrelated worlds with rather linear main goals. If only the main hub allows you to travel to different worlds, it isn't open world. That's not what open world is. Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom and it's sequels are much better examples of games that are "open world".

I mean, I really, really hated how 64 and Sunshine kicked you out of the level just to make you enter it... again. That completely ruins the so called "open world" experience of the game that it was trying to deliver. 64 was the first 3D Mario adventure, so that was forgivable. By Sunshine, the developers knew what worked and what didn't, so that game has no excuse to be doing the same thing all over again.

Sure, the games as a whole isn't linear, and there's some exploration, but it's still not open world.

I also don't care about the whole "you can see the different levels from other levels" because I never noticed that anyway, and again, considering the game isn't even open world, that little aesthetic is ...hampered. I also get that Sunshine progresses in terms of the main hub (which I very much appreciated), but still.

I'll take SMG1/SMG2's style over 64/SS any day. Although it kicked you out of the level after a power star like the first two games, it didn't really matter because the Galaxies are admittedly much more linear than the the formers anyway, so exploration doesn't really matter nearly as much. I thought 3D World was fine, too.

The new 3d Mario game should be linear akin Galaxy/3D Land/3D World or fully open world. None of this in between, pseudo open world crap.
#2VoxwikPosted 6/16/2014 12:40:26 PM
I don't like how the "collect-a-thon" genre is virtually nonexistent now. I'm all for variety though.
#3DiogenesKCPosted 6/16/2014 1:15:59 PM
if you really want collectathons back petition for a new banjo game. banjo did it better than mario.
---
I'm a member of the Midnight Crew
I'm a night owl, and a wise bird too
#4Wiiboy4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2014 1:44:49 PM
DiogenesKC posted...
if you really want collectathons back petition for a new banjo game. banjo did it better than mario.
I played banjo kazooie (or Tooie? I forget which) a while ago at my friend's dorm room once.
The tutorial stage was so long I got bored and couldn't be bothered with it anymore.
#5DiogenesKCPosted 6/16/2014 1:45:48 PM
clearly you are a terrible person who doesn't deserve good games
---
I'm a member of the Midnight Crew
I'm a night owl, and a wise bird too
#6VoxwikPosted 6/16/2014 1:49:27 PM
While I agree, thinking about what's become of Rare is depressing.
#7Wiiboy4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2014 1:58:41 PM
DiogenesKC posted...
clearly you are a terrible person who doesn't deserve good games
Aw, you really think so? <3
awh, I love you too donkeyk ogn country eturns!

Voxwik posted...
While I agree, thinking about what's become of Rare is depressing.
Agree about the topic or about the banjo game?
#8BabyLuigiOnFirePosted 6/16/2014 2:01:43 PM
When I think of "open world" I think of stuff like GTA and that aforementioned Spongebob game, not Super Mario 64.
---
I'm a girl who loves Baby Luigi and accepted him as my personal lord and savior.
Your local Wario sadist.
#9VoxwikPosted 6/16/2014 2:11:59 PM
Banjo, but I don't oppose variation in Mario games. I don't agree with the topic in that I would not be disappointed with a Mario 64 or Sunshine type game but I do like the types of games you want as well.

The Banjo-Kazooie (and DK64 which is an extension of Banjo-Kazooie) games do not kick you out when getting a puzzle piece/banana. I'd love to see an open world collect-a-thon type platformer but I doubt it will ever happen.
#10SullyTheStrangePosted 6/16/2014 2:48:19 PM
You know you spent half your post ranting about semantics, right?
---
There's a lot of places in the world with C4 and yogurt.