Pls never the style of Mario 64/Sunshine ever again

#21Wiiboy4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 7:17:48 AMmessage detail
SullyTheStrange posted...
Wiiboy4ever posted...
No it's not. It doesn't matter what they think, it's not open world. It's not up for debate. Some fans are even convinced that it is a fully open world game.
Did you even read the whole post? I'm not trying to change their opinions.

So you're saying there exists a substantial group of people who will look at Mario 64, then look at Skyrim, nod and say "Yes, those are the same type of game."

Or are we talking about intelligent life forms who would say "No, not THAT kind of open world"? If so, it's pointless. You know what they mean. Suck it up and move on.
I don't know what Skyrim is.
#22SullyTheStrangePosted 6/17/2014 7:30:19 AMmessage detail
Wiiboy4ever posted...

Replace with GTA / Red Dead Redemption / Watch Dogs / Lego City Undercover / any true open world game.
---
There's a lot of places in the world with C4 and yogurt.
#23Too_many_namesPosted 6/17/2014 8:22:22 AMmessage detail
"I don't like it" = "it's bad!"

What I believe would be best is a Mario game with good platforming, but also worlds that aren't straight lines. Galaxy is currently the only one that has done this, but only to an extent. An large, interconnected world would also be welcome.
---
An old man once told me: "No old man is to be trusted".
#24wiiking96Posted 6/17/2014 10:04:29 AMmessage detail
I think that it would be cool if there were levels that have multiple distinct linear paths that have 1 major common element. You would choose where to go from the beginning, and be locked into that path, but there would be points where portions of the other paths would be visible. Also, after completing all of the paths, you would be able to more freely roam the area and find some special secrets.

An example would be a haunted castle level; one path would have you explore a graveyard and then head underground, and another path would have you explore the dungeons of the castle. At one point in both, it would seem that you would be heading to the other path, but a cave-in would change your trajectory, teasing the player. The third path could have you climbing up a tower and then exploring portions of the castle really high up, and you could see the graveyard below you.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BIS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#25Chagen46Posted 6/17/2014 10:34:46 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26Chagen46Posted 6/17/2014 10:37:42 AMmessage detail
wiiking96 posted...
I think that it would be cool if there were levels that have multiple distinct linear paths that have 1 major common element. You would choose where to go from the beginning, and be locked into that path, but there would be points where portions of the other paths would be visible. Also, after completing all of the paths, you would be able to more freely roam the area and find some special secrets.

An example would be a haunted castle level; one path would have you explore a graveyard and then head underground, and another path would have you explore the dungeons of the castle. At one point in both, it would seem that you would be heading to the other path, but a cave-in would change your trajectory, teasing the player. The third path could have you climbing up a tower and then exploring portions of the castle really high up, and you could see the graveyard below you.

You want classic old school Sonic then:
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/2/27/S2_map_CPZ2.png
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/8/82/S2_map_MCZ2.png
http://info.sonicretro.org/images/3/3c/Mg1map.PNG

Except in Sonic you're not locked into a path. Mario has never been THAT open, except on its world maps.
---
Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy fanboy for life. Respect our adorable princesses!
#27Wiiboy4ever(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2014 11:35:50 AMmessage detail
SullyTheStrange posted...
Wiiboy4ever posted...

Replace with GTA / Red Dead Redemption / Watch Dogs / Lego City Undercover / any true open world game.
In that case, then both. It's not that general.
#28DdoubleTPosted 6/17/2014 11:15:38 PMmessage detail(edited)
Wiiboy4ever posted...
64 and Sunsine's gameplay was not open world.

By whose narrow-minded definition? Do those games not consist of worlds with a considerable degree of openness? Just because they aren't sprawling sandboxes doesn't mean they aren't open worlds.

Wiiboy4ever posted...
I mean, I really, really hated how 64 and Sunshine kicked you out of the level just to make you enter it... again. That completely ruins the so called "open world" experience of the game that it was trying to deliver.

How does it ruin it? I see this complaint a lot and it puzzles me every time. You complete a mission, you get taken out for some fanfare, and you're right back in. What's the big deal? The impact on your ability to explore is negligible. At worst it's a minor inconvenience. You also have to realize that the mission-select mechanic is a big reason why those games have the variety in missions that they do. The developers wanted to change the levels in certain ways that wouldn't have really worked seamlessly in real time, so kicking you out and making you reload an altered version of the level was really the only way to implement those changes.

Sure, other 3D platformers like Banjo-Kazooie have proved that variety is possible without a mission-select system, not that any sane person ever thought otherwise, but this is the point I'm getting at here. Bottom line is that you just have to realize that it's a different, perfectly acceptable style. You like your opposite extremes, fine, but those are too shallow for a lot of people, myself included. The specific way 64 and Sunshine mix linearity with non-linearity provides a very unique kind of depth that has no substitute, and it's a large part of what makes them stand as the 3D games to beat in the series for us.

So, while your implication that the open world formula can and should be greatly expanded in future Mario games is right, just know that I and a lot of other people would take a game using 64's and Sunshine's precise formula over another Galaxy or 3D World any day, and there's nothing wrong with that.
#29pokemega32Posted 6/18/2014 9:24:10 PMmessage detail
Wiiboy4ever posted...
The tutorial stage was so long I got bored and couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

...the what?

Do you mean Spiral Mountain?

You can completely skip that.
---
Currently playing: Kirby Super Star & Batman Arkham Asylum
#30IlluminoiusPosted 6/19/2014 2:57:25 AMmessage detail
DdoubleT posted...
You complete a mission, you get taken out for some fanfare, and you're right back in. What's the big deal? The impact on your ability to explore is negligible.

it makes each mission feel confined to its own thing, and it also forces players to retread old ground quite a bit (going down the slide in bianco hills gets old the third time)