Why is this Game OUTRAGIOUSLY Difficult???

#1crypticzombie2Posted 2/23/2014 5:51:38 AM
I really dont know how a 9-10 year old kid could play this... Im a grown man and am only on the 3rd or 4th level 1st Island and am finding this difficult. .... really....???? I could understand a Challenge, BUT Geeze!!!! Still looks good though and fun and Frustrating at the same time..
---
Old School Juggalo Hard working Nascar Fanatic/ Gamer
#2gnerdusPosted 2/23/2014 5:53:02 AM
You think Lost Mangroves is tough? Just wait until you start playing the Really difficult levels.
#3Retroxgamer0Posted 2/23/2014 5:57:41 AM(edited)
its not difficult its just trial and error and fustration. die, learn the pattern, repeat. thats why its only a 6/10 game and gamespot's review is exactly right, even tho all of the fanboys want to say differently. im also a grown man, which is why i rate the game for what it is, and not as a nintendo fanboy. its more fustrating than fun. none of it is hard, as soon as you learn the patterns its easy. its just the game isnt that great.

heres how ive been with the game thus far.

* plays a few levels * wow these levels are easy as heck, and not very exciting kind of slow paced. relaxing.

* plays a few more levels * UGH this is BS these levels are fustrating, cheap deaths over and over!

* plays a few more levels * wow this is easy.

* plays more * ugh this stage is boring * quits for a half an hour and comes back *

* fights boss * THIS SUCKS no checkpoints?! * retries like 10 times *

FINALLY!

* plays boring level * ugh... * quits *

seriously overall i get less enjoyment from this than i get enjoyment.
#4gnerdusPosted 2/23/2014 5:57:13 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
its not difficult its just trial and error and fustration. die, learn the pattern, repeat. thats why its only a 6/10 game and gamespot's review is exactly right, even tho all of the fanboys want to say differently. im also a grown man, which is why i rate the game for what it is, and not as a nintendo fanboy. its more fustrating than fun. none of it is hard, as soon as you learn the patterns its easy. its just the game isnt that great.

You say it's trial and error but refuse to give examples. You even went as far as to lock your other 2 topics when asked to provide examples. You're not a very good troll, the least you could have done was provide examples and then started calling people liars when they proved it was possible to avoid the trap your first time through.
#5Retroxgamer0Posted 2/23/2014 6:06:20 AM(edited)
gnerdus posted...
Retroxgamer0 posted...

You say it's trial and error but refuse to give examples. You even went as far as to lock your other 2 topics when asked to provide examples. You're not a very good troll, the least you could have done was provide examples and then started calling people liars when they proved it was possible to avoid the trap your first time through.

my examples are that you die repeatedly because crap pops up in your face, and the only way to know where a kong letter is on a basic minecart is to just die, memorize, and die repeatedly memorizing all of the booby traps. thats not difficult game design its just trial and error artificial difficulty crap. if the game is too difficult you could just spam the help items and make it easy that isnt the case. its just a fustrating game that cycles between boring, been-there-done-that, fustrating, or in the case of all bosses they have no checkpoints so its stupid and lame, and it feels like a waste of time. theres no reward. what, you beat a boss and then you get to suffer a slow paced stage you dont care about? yay.

i understand some people actually like fustrating/nerve wracking games that have been left in the 90s by other publishers, but i dont. this game's graphics aren't that great, it feels like a wii game expansion pack for DKCR not a new game. nothing impresses me here, its all ho hum. untop of that as a retro style game? doesnt even hold a candle to the original DKC games. and i prefer DKCR over this game, it has better levels, it was original for its time, a nice revival to the DKC franchise. this game didnt do anything, it's just a lazy expansion pack IMO, but yeah if you enjoy it, good on you, i agree with gamespot's review of this.

also i feel it was very lazy of retro to make dixie overpowered, and add absolutely nothing for the other characters, or give you any incentive to play as them. you can just pick dixie and steamroll the game, without the challenge. theres no reason to handicap yourself with diddy or cranky. bad game design. want to see this concept done right? look at SM 3D World.
#6Nath1343Posted 2/23/2014 6:04:38 AM
People always have an excuse for everything.

Why shouldn't "trial and error" be considered difficulty? Sure, if your reflexes aren't completely up to scratch then yeah, you may well get caught off-guard the first time. But if you continue to die in the same spot, then doesn't that just make you bad?

I've died well over a hundred times already and I'm only just at the end of Autumn Heights... and guess what, it completely comes down to me lacking skill and not yet being truly decent at the game. Nothing's wrong with the game design or whatever other BS excuse you can come up with to avoid the fact that you're not god's gift when it comes to playing a trickier platformer, and if you don't have enough patience and composure to get through it then that's fair enough.

But don't blame the game design for it.
---
PSN: nath1343
Favourite games: Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy XII, inFamous, BioShock, DKC3, Pokemon FR, Uncharted 3, Ni no Kuni, RDR, Last of Us, Sly 2
#7Retroxgamer0Posted 2/23/2014 6:17:28 AM(edited)
Nath1343 posted...

Why shouldn't "trial and error" be considered difficulty? Sure, if your reflexes aren't completely up to scratch then yeah, you may well get caught off-guard the first time. But if you continue to die in the same spot, then doesn't that just make you bad?

I've died well over a hundred times already and I'm only just at the end of Autumn Heights... and guess what, it completely comes down to me lacking skill and not yet being truly decent at the game. Nothing's wrong with the game design or whatever other BS excuse you can come up with to avoid the fact that you're not god's gift when it comes to playing a trickier platformer, and if you don't have enough patience and composure to get through it then that's fair enough.

dont blame the game design? why not? sm 3d world is designed well, and harder than this game (i never even beat champion's road, and theres no cheesy help items to make it easier) and actually utilizes the characters, not just steamroll with dixie and win. also it manages to have a better more addictive soundtrack, and doesnt bore me with its level design. how many times can you get through the levels here without being bored? challenge yourself. i just watched a twitch stream where half of the ppl watching the game quit by world 3 saying "its getting boring now"

this is a rushed inferior sequel is what it is, if you ask me, but again its just my opinion feel whatever you want to... wii u doesnt have many games yet so im playing this too, i dont have many options. its just mario, this, or sonic at the moment.
#8Nath1343Posted 2/23/2014 6:31:44 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
Nath1343 posted...

dont blame the game design? why not? sm 3d world is designed well, and harder than this game (i never even beat champion's road, and theres no cheesy help items to make it easier) and actually utilizes the characters, not just steamroll with dixie and win. also it manages to have a better more addictive soundtrack, and doesnt bore me with its level design. how many times can you get through the levels here without being bored? challenge yourself. i just watched a twitch stream where half of the ppl watching the game quit by world 3 saying "its getting boring now"

this is a rushed inferior sequel is what it is, if you ask me, but again its just my opinion feel whatever you want to... wii u doesnt have many games yet so im playing this too, i dont have many options. its just mario, this, or sonic at the moment.

Okay, I obviously can't change your opinion which is fine (although I can't understand how one could find the SM3DW soundtrack more interesting than the OST in this game but once again, it's subjective).

Let me ask you this then, what would you change about Tropical Freeze to make it not a 'boring, rushed inferior sequel'?

Genuinely curious, I'm not sure what else you were hoping for in a DKC game (maybe you weren't wanting one at all) because other than nostalgia, I can't see any reason why this game isn't as good as the original trilogy, if not better.

...and I absolutely adored those games.
---
PSN: nath1343
Favourite games: Golden Sun, Xenoblade, Final Fantasy XII, inFamous, BioShock, DKC3, Pokemon FR, Uncharted 3, Ni no Kuni, RDR, Last of Us, Sly 2
#9bladexdslPosted 2/23/2014 6:32:31 AM
cos nintendo didn't make it retro did
#10EasterEggHunterPosted 2/23/2014 6:34:28 AM
Sm3D World is not harder than this lol.
---
This signature is one of my greatest accomplishments.....Brick Road
The internet in a nutshell: http://youtu.be/_mDFwJL2Xus