Reasons why this game isn't as good as Donkey Kong Country 2

#1ZeroRaiderPosted 4/13/2014 8:46:08 PMmessage detail
This seems to be a common sentiment on the 'net; Tropical Freeze, while very good and an admirable effort by Retro, still doesn't hold up to the legendary Donkey Kong Country 2.

So I was thinking about why and here's what I came up with:

-No Kremlings. The enemies in Tropical Freeze are okay, but the Kremlings just had so much more character. This is the same problem DKC Returns suffered. King K. Rool was a way better enemy than the random guy they throw at you as the final boss in this game.

-Diversity of environments is poor. DKC2 had some fascinating and unique levels like honeycomb hives, amusement parks, dungeons, swamps, pirate ships, "lost worlds" (remember that giant bouncing tire level? That was so cool) etc. This one just has forest, more forest, a burning savannah, a juice factory in a forest, a few underwater levels, and some ice levels over a forest.

-Lack of animal buddies. Yeah, I know, Rambi the Rhino is in this, but that's it. And you only use him a couple of times in the whole game. By the time I'd reached world 6 and I saw him pop up again I was surprised because I had completely forgotten he was even in the game since he was used so sparingly. There isn't a roster of different animal buddies you can use. DKC2 had a spider, a snake, a parrot... it was awesome. You could even turn into them for a unique level experience. Where are the levels here where you can turn into a parrot and race another parrot to the end of the level?

-No big 'surprise' moments where you're racing a giant enemy. Anyone remember in DKC2 where you run into that giant wasp that chases you to the end of the level? That just about scared the s*** out of me the first time that happened. Or the kart level where you're racing away from a phantom in a haunted house...

-No extras like Funky's Bonus Bonanza or when they expanded on this concept with those minigames you had in DKC3... those were awesome.

-The secret worlds and bonus just don't have that atmosphere like DKC2's did. DKC2's minigames where you collect Kremling coins had more diversity than the little bonus areas for puzzle pieces in this game. Collecting KONG letters to unlock levels instead of Kremling coins is just lame. And speaking of those puzzle pieces, they just don't feel worth collecting because there's so many of them put into a level. DKC2's bonus collectables were used more sparingly. And then you had DKC3 which kicked this up a notch with the Banana Birds, bear traders, etc. That really added some life to the game.

Things this game DID get right were boss battles and the music. I haven't played any modern games lately that have had boss battles as good as this game. After the way Nintendo half-assed the boss battles in Mario, Tropical Freeze's boss battles were downright amazing.

Anything I missed that can explain why a lot of us prefer the older DKCs over these new ones? I will say this... I think this game is better than the first Donkey Kong Country. But it still needed work to surpass DKC2 & DKC3...
#2SpunkySixPosted 4/13/2014 9:41:45 PMmessage detail
So... mostly subjective things, many of them being "oh no they changed something" and bad bonus mini games are the reason TF isn't as good as 2?

Not a particularly compelling argument.

And I for one found the variety of levels to be done quite well here, for the record.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#3MetaFalconPunchPosted 4/14/2014 4:01:36 AMmessage detail
In less than 2 seconds I refuted the first 3 complaints in my mind.

That's where I realized how pointless it was to keep reading.
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#4ShadowN64Posted 4/14/2014 6:09:07 AMmessage detail
When you say the Kremlings had so much character, I wonder if that is childhood nostalgia talking there. The original DKC games had even less story than Tropical Freeze, absolutely no suspense buildup about the final boss and the kremlings you saw in the game seemed absolutely mindless.

It was cool as a kid, but they were just an "enemy". I don't mind there being a different "enemy" this time around.
---
The Shadow
#5GoombacrusherPosted 4/14/2014 10:31:38 AMmessage detail
So basically it's worse than DKC2 because it isn't DKC2
Riveting
---
kawaii!
#6SpunkySixPosted 4/14/2014 11:53:53 AMmessage detail
ShadowN64 posted...
When you say the Kremlings had so much character, I wonder if that is childhood nostalgia talking there. The original DKC games had even less story than Tropical Freeze, absolutely no suspense buildup about the final boss and the kremlings you saw in the game seemed absolutely mindless.

It was cool as a kid, but they were just an "enemy". I don't mind there being a different "enemy" this time around.

Yeah... the more I look back, the more I'm seeing that the old DKCs had cool enemies with more personality than, say, Mario enemies, but they weren't spectacular. Even the atmosphere that is so talked about really just comes down to good music and a darker setting.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#7GoombacrusherPosted 4/14/2014 12:00:07 PMmessage detail
I don't see how anyone could possibly think the Snowmads lacked character
---
kawaii!
#8surferguy7Posted 4/14/2014 1:09:52 PMmessage detail
I stopped reading after Kremlings.
---
This is the internet, all opinions are considered invalid.
#9Watt64Posted 4/14/2014 1:18:02 PMmessage detail
Goombacrusher posted...

Yeah. I really liked them.
---
"So, um, I really want to help. I'll be good, really!"
#10MetaFalconPunchPosted 4/14/2014 1:48:22 PMmessage detail
Goombacrusher posted...

Especially that bomb throwing Snowmad.

The sound he makes when you kill him is just hilarious!
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.