Reasons why this game isn't as good as Donkey Kong Country 2

#41ShadowN64Posted 4/16/2014 6:36:45 PMmessage detail
ZeroRaider posted...
ShadowN64 posted...
Plus, I don't think people generally appreciate it when someone seeks out a board with the express purpose of ranting or complaining about the game everyone there presumably likes.

When I don't like a movie, I don't seek out the fan sites and rant about it and tell them they are wrong for liking it.

Where exactly do you propose one go to commentate on a piece of media if not said media's board intended for discussion of said media?

Should I have posted this thread on the Super Mario 3D World board or something?

More along the lines of wondering why you'd even seek out a place to rant. I've played plenty of bad games in the past but never felt a desire to tell everyone who plays the game and discusses it that it's bad. Especially when you get extremely defensive against those who disagree with you!
---
The Shadow
#42metroidhunterxPosted 4/17/2014 4:05:12 PMmessage detail
ShadowN64 posted...
ZeroRaider posted...
ShadowN64 posted...
Plus, I don't think people generally appreciate it when someone seeks out a board with the express purpose of ranting or complaining about the game everyone there presumably likes.

When I don't like a movie, I don't seek out the fan sites and rant about it and tell them they are wrong for liking it.

Where exactly do you propose one go to commentate on a piece of media if not said media's board intended for discussion of said media?

Should I have posted this thread on the Super Mario 3D World board or something?

More along the lines of wondering why you'd even seek out a place to rant. I've played plenty of bad games in the past but never felt a desire to tell everyone who plays the game and discusses it that it's bad. Especially when you get extremely defensive against those who disagree with you!

I'm wondering why you'd even consider it a rant. I would also like to know where you're reading these imaginary arguments of his where he "tells everyone who plays the game and discusses it that it's bad", or where he says that anyone is "wrong for liking it".

Hell, I couldn't find a damn sliver of evidence of him saying it was even a bad game. In fact, he said it was better than DKC, and that it was just not as good as DKC2 or 3. After that, he asked for input. If that's not civil enough for you, then Christ, I just don't know what you would consider civil, short of agreeing with everything you think just because you think that's how it should be.
#43gallirPosted 4/17/2014 4:13:27 PMmessage detail
SpunkySix posted...
gallir posted...
Goombacrusher posted...
gallir posted...
Couldn't agree with you more. I also like how even though some of the things that you state are subjective, a lot of them are objective such as diversity of environments, different gameplay styles with the animal buddies and the bonus rooms.

I disagree on colelcting the KONG letters though, I found that just as good as kremcoins. Puzzle Pieces are pointless though.

Animal buddies are not objective and bonus rooms are a minor aspect of the game that were made even more minor in the newer games

Diversity of environments is objective but it also requires you to completely ignore the variety that Tropical Freeze has in order for it to at all come up short. Saying there's only 6 level themes is just plain wrong

I didn't read his piece of having exactly 6 level themes, that I do disagree with. I still don't see DKCTF having as many different types of levels. It doesn't have levels where you climb, all are pretty much left to right. And each animal buddy adds a whole new type of level/gameplay, so DKCTF is missing out on all of those.

You're discounting an awful lot from TF with such a narrow definition of level types. Sure, Rambi provides a unique experience, but I'd say the level here where you go up a freaking avalanche is a heck of a lot more different than anything he provides as an experience. He was in level one of DKC and it was basically just normal platforming with an extra attack, nothing more, nothing less.

Eh the avalanche is just background. The gameplay is no different than other levels where stuff you were once standing on becomes unsafe. And Rambi is probably the most basic of the animal buddies and he's in both TF and DKC2 so I'm clearly not talking about Rambi. Every other animal buddy adds a whole different type of gameplay to the game. Also who said anything about Rambi in DKC1? The topic is clearly why TF isn't as good as DKC2.
---
Currently playing - Starcraft 1
#44SpunkySixPosted 4/17/2014 4:40:35 PMmessage detail
The animal buddies in general barely added to gameplay for the most part. Definitely not enough to call their levels completely different kinds.
---
Tissue to the extreme!
I'd like to be a tree.
#45LoboCoboloPosted 4/17/2014 5:28:54 PMmessage detail
SpunkySix posted...
The animal buddies in general barely added to gameplay for the most part. Definitely not enough to call their levels completely different kinds.

There were several levels dedicated to Squawk (Bramble Scramble, Screech's Sprint, etc) that had very different gameplay than the typical DKC2 level. Squitter's ability to create platforms added a pretty unique gameplay element to the mix as well.
#46GoombacrusherPosted 4/17/2014 5:39:27 PMmessage detail
LoboCobolo posted...
SpunkySix posted...

There were several levels dedicated to Squawk (Bramble Scramble, Screech's Sprint, etc) that had very different gameplay than the typical DKC2 level. Squitter's ability to create platforms added a pretty unique gameplay element to the mix as well.

I don't think Squawks is really the best example here. He's not exactly the best mechanic in DKC2

Squitter's awesome though
---
http://i.imgur.com/pLE4OWy.png
http://i.imgur.com/FeUoGvy.gif
#47emayerPosted 4/17/2014 6:08:57 PMmessage detail
Really? I loved the Squawks levels in DKC2 and 3. Squawks's Shaft, Bramble Scramble, and Swoopy Salvo are all classics.
#48ZeroRaider(Topic Creator)Posted 4/17/2014 8:07:58 PMmessage detail
Not to mention Enguarde's water levels. They would've been lame without them.

I liked the Squawks levels too because they added an extra layer of difficulty/precision to master after mastering moving with a ground-based character.
#49GoombacrusherPosted 4/17/2014 8:14:55 PMmessage detail
The physics with Squawks were a bit weird. It made Animal Antics really annoying
Also Purple Squawks or whatever it was called sucked, especially in DKC3
Enguarde wasn't really necessary with the way TF handles water levels
---
http://i.imgur.com/pLE4OWy.png http://i.imgur.com/eBWcN1b.gif
http://i.imgur.com/FeUoGvy.gif
#50LoboCoboloPosted 4/17/2014 9:03:27 PMmessage detail
I liked Squawk's levels aside from Animal Antics, but that was almost entirely due to the wind.