Best starting class?

#1the_ice_phoenixPosted 7/14/2013 11:33:09 PM
What's the best class to start with, in order to get a handle on the game mechanics?

I'm interested in a Rogue Ninja or Rogue Assassin, but they look like they would have the steepest learning curves...
---
If I had a dollar for every time Jesus died for my sins and rose again, I'd have one dollar.
#2the voidPosted 7/14/2013 11:42:34 PM
They're all pretty simple to learn. Bring up the skill window with X and put points into the top row (5 points unlocks the next skill in line) to try out the class-specific skills.

Every class starts off really slow, mostly because you start with no armor and everything from squirrels to beetles kicks your butt. The exception is water mage, because it can heal itself with AOE water spells from the start.
---
Nei - Level 200 Ranger - Scather/Challenger - PSN: the_void__
Ghost - Level 200 Sorcerer - PSN: the_null__
#3myrkul8013Posted 7/15/2013 12:16:40 AM
As long as it is not a warrior, I think your ok... warriors tend to be a little underpowered and the first levels are the hardest.
---
"Work with zeal as hammers peal, melt, anneal, and bend the steel."
#4Matty_G33Posted 7/15/2013 1:18:05 AM
Ranger (any spec) and Water Mages are straightforward, and are easily the most overpowered classes. Between either, it's a matter of whenever you want a fast way of moving around with an exploit or want a heal spell for the sake of never crafting food/potions ever again.

Warrior is initially underwhelming, but Guardians can become defensive juggernauts later on if you don't want to rely on exploits and heal spells.

Rogue isn't so different from Warrior, with only different looking weapons (Greatswords/Battleaxes/etc are Longswords and swords/maces/etc are fists and daggers) and a stealth skill in place of a spin attack. Attack, fill up your MP bar, special attack, repeat. Ninja is the way to go.
---
Let's beat it - this is turning into a bloodbath!
#5coltonh658Posted 7/16/2013 7:25:39 PM
(I know this is pretty late to the table, but I figured I'd post for anyone else asking the same question.)

I have to disagree with the last two posts I see here.

Picking a ranged class (Ranger/Mage) is a pretty poor choice if you want to learn the mechanics of the game. You never really learn the attack patterns of enemies and you don't really get a chance to learn when you should or shouldn't roll/dodge.

Learn how to play a warrior first. I suggest playing as a guardian, and use your blocking ability to counter/parry/learn their attacks and their frequency. After you know that, and when to roll/dodge, everything falls into place, regardless of what character you play as.

My two cents~
#6GTA_EdmPosted 7/22/2013 11:34:06 AM
I started as a Ranger and found it incredibly hard to fight effectively for the first few levels. It gets easier as you level up and becomes quite a force to be reckoned with.

After a hard drive failure which wiped out all my save files, I restarted as a fire mage and pow! Much easier to fight and level up with.
#7BDSMPosted 7/22/2013 1:03:48 PM
GTA_Edm posted...
I started as a Ranger and found it incredibly hard to fight effectively for the first few levels. It gets easier as you level up and becomes quite a force to be reckoned with.

After a hard drive failure which wiped out all my save files, I restarted as a fire mage and pow! Much easier to fight and level up with.

Mages ability to alpha strike due to mana regen (can chain 3 RMB attacks at the start of a fight) puts them above Ranger in the ranged department IMO.

Their 2nd tier defensive skill is vastly superior to the rangers 2nd tier skill. (shield bubble vs. hop backwards)

Teleport can be used to good effect in boss battles and is useful in general, but both ranger paths get a more offensively minded skill as their 3rd tier ability.

Both the fire mages and rangers tier 1 knock back seem a little underwhelming at first, but become a very potent tool in controlling a fight. Mostly due to the high stun chance.
---
Games I've played where you have non-consensual sex with your step-sister while half drowning her in a kitchen sink: 1