How do you get the Medals?

#1BlackDragonPosted 11/17/2013 3:53:34 PM
I've gotten several Urban Combat Medals, a few International Service Medals, and a couple of Council Medals... I'm pretty sure I know how I got those first two, and I'm assuming the Council Medal is somehow tied to doing Council Missions.

But I haven't gotten ANY of the last two - I read somewhere that one of them is the Defender's Medal, which apparently is somehow connected to having your guys wind up in Critical Condition or dying in action (which explains why I don't have one, since I've been careful to avoid critical damage due to watching the badass squad of Colonels in my previous game devolve into a panicking class of kindergardeners towards the end due to accumulated Will-loss from critical injuries.)

But I've got no clue on the last one...
---
Life is like a Blue Chest... you never know what you're gonna get.
#2MahoganyTooth92Posted 11/17/2013 5:11:50 PM
You get the last one as part of a story event post-Alien base assault.

I won't spoil it for you.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#3BlackDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 5:30:25 PM
Uh huh... I seriously doubt there's anything to spoil for me there, but 's good to know that I can't miss that one. In the meantime, I STILL need to figure out how to get the Defender's Medal. I've tried finishing a mission with a squadmate in critical condition, and I've tried finishing after reviving her... do you actually need to get someone KILLED? Or d'ya just need to Stabilize instead of Revive?
---
#4DekrossePosted 11/17/2013 8:27:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you get Defender's medals for having a trooper get injured but not killed during a mission. I play fairly aggressively so I often have one or two guys get shot up but not killed, and I've gotten a bunch of 'fender medals over the course of my last couple games.
#5ValiantKnightPosted 11/17/2013 9:37:55 PM
I received the medal after a solider was knocked unconscious in a mission(about to bled out), I finished the mission before he bled out.

I believe the soldier has to be bleeding or stabilized and you finish the mission. Therefore you "defended" your wounded comrade.
#6BlackDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 9:57:40 PM
...well, that didn't work for me. Had someone bleeding out when the mission ended, no dice. I managed to get one after taking a rookie into a mission and deliberately getting him killed, though... yay.

But then I got a second one for finishing that special mission on the dam. Despite none of my soldiers being even SLIGHTLY injured during it. >_> Maybe it's just a special award for that particular mission? Otherwise, I got nuthin'.
---
#7Dark____PhoenixPosted 11/18/2013 12:56:39 AM
Seems rather random to me, at the start of my new game I got quite a lot of medals, but now about half way into it, I'm not getting any at all, so I dunno if they are meant to become more rare or what.
---
PSN: Mystic_Phoenix
#8MahoganyTooth92Posted 11/18/2013 1:52:19 AM
BlackDragon posted...
Uh huh... I seriously doubt there's anything to spoil for me there, but 's good to know that I can't miss that one.

Trust me, you don't really want it spoiled for you.

I did because I was wayyy too starved for info on EW and now it makes me sad because it wasn't a surprise.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#9ValiantKnightPosted 11/18/2013 5:03:03 AM
There are a limited supply of medals, between 1-4 of each.

Guess that's another XCOM playthrough if I want to use medals... Did not know they would be in limited supply... and bradford keeps annoying you to use them. So they are on my initial squad who don't have the iron will needed for late game.
#10BlackDragon(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 9:25:29 PM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...
BlackDragon posted...
Uh huh... I seriously doubt there's anything to spoil for me there, but 's good to know that I can't miss that one.

Trust me, you don't really want it spoiled for you.

I did because I was wayyy too starved for info on EW and now it makes me sad because it wasn't a surprise.

Seriously? It was one of the SELLING POINTS of the expansion... I'm not gonna say what it is since some people apparently count it as a spoiler, but I doubt it surprised anyone who played the original... >_>;
---