Developers had no clue about PROPER game mechanics

#1ShinWeskerPosted 9/25/2013 12:42:24 PM
If this is supposed to be a "troll" game, then they succeeded. But as a PROPER game, no.

"look, its so funny, instant death was soo lame in Dragons Lair, lets do it here too LOL cool reference dude".
---
My Blog:
http://shinwesker.wordpress.com/
#2GeneralFoxPosted 9/25/2013 3:00:34 PM
bit frustrating at times, but I still found it fun all the way through.
---
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2 - Official Teaser Trailer: *excited* lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AqHwgk2s8
#3CI254Posted 9/25/2013 5:09:46 PM
This is actually a very fair game from what little I've played so far. It's on you for sucking at it. There's plenty of clues provided at moments. Don't hide behind your own bad.
---
{O,o}:O RLY?::::::::::{o,o}Shut the **** up.
/)__)::::::::::::::::::::::::::(__(\ SteamID: ci254 -Ci- Gaisuto
#4hehehahePosted 9/25/2013 8:39:59 PM
Well OP has clearly never played platformers before. I find this game to have a near perfect balance of challenge, there are some dick move parts but like any platformer knowing the level is half the battle.
---
Keep on keepin on
#5GeneralFoxPosted 9/25/2013 10:33:06 PM(edited)
The biggest issue I could think up personally that I didn't prefer is that a lot of the enemies felt like the same monsters just with different appearances to them. That could be seen as an old school thing too I guess though since a lot of games did do that in a way.

I do like how while all the characters seem simular they all do have decent purposes at specific moments.

- Cycle to clear obsticals ahead, and feels to be the faster character
- Mike for progressing while clearing things that can hard to hit ( like the bubbles while doing the brest bounce bits in one stage ), he also seems like he has a higher jump as well.
- Nerd because of his faster rate of fire, being able to fire in 8 directions comes in handy a lot and being able to do so without moving is good as well. ( although, I admit I wish I could use my second analog stick to fire while moving sadly )
- BS man for tricky jumps where the extra air time can be a life saver.

I do wish mikes sword weapon was a little stronger though, and I feel BS man is a little weak I will admit.

---
#6Enix BelmontPosted 9/25/2013 11:40:15 PM
ShinWesker posted...
If this is supposed to be a "troll" game, then they succeeded. But as a PROPER game, no.

"look, its so funny, instant death was soo lame in Dragons Lair, lets do it here too LOL cool reference dude".

You're probably just bad, this game seems pretty fair so far. They use that Megaman school of design where they show you what something does before you do it, like the enemy walking into the block traps that are unhappy on the sunshine level. I haven't done the last level yet, maybe it changes.

GeneralFox posted...
The biggest issue I could think up personally that I didn't prefer is that a lot of the enemies felt like the same monsters just with different appearances to them. That could be seen as an old school thing too I guess though since a lot of games did do that in a way.

I do like how while all the characters seem simular they all do have decent purposes at specific moments.

- Mike for progressing while clearing things that can hard to hit ( like the bubbles while doing the brest bounce bits in one stage ), he also seems like he has a higher jump as well.
- Nerd because of his faster rate of fire, being able to fire in 8 directions comes in handy a lot and being able to do so without moving is good as well. ( although, I admit I wish I could use my second analog stick to fire while moving sadly )

I do wish mikes sword weapon was a little stronger though, and I feel BS man is a little weak I will admit.

I can agree with this, but I don't find the monster recycling that big of a deal, to be honest. They look different enough at least. It's not that much less than most retro games, really.

BS Man is better than people give him credit for. He's great for bosses. Does the most damage against bosses that are hard to hit. I used him on the pony and satan, by far the easiest character to do so with.

Mike is the worst, I think. His sword is weaker than AVGN's gunshots it seems.
---
'Come fight beside me,' I said to myself, and although it doesn't make sense, I held my own hand as a small sign of trust, and together I made my defense.
#7ShinWesker(Topic Creator)Posted 9/25/2013 11:58:46 PM
hehehahe posted...
Well OP has clearly never played platformers before. I find this game to have a near perfect balance of challenge, there are some dick move parts but like any platformer knowing the level is half the battle.

Been playing since Amiga and NES times. None of the good platformers were like this.
---
My Blog:
http://shinwesker.wordpress.com/
#8GeneralFoxPosted 9/26/2013 12:27:57 AM(edited)
Enix Belmont posted...
ShinWesker posted...

You're probably just bad, this game seems pretty fair so far. They use that Megaman school of design where they show you what something does before you do it, like the enemy walking into the block traps that are unhappy on the sunshine level. I haven't done the last level yet, maybe it changes.

GeneralFox posted...

I can agree with this, but I don't find the monster recycling that big of a deal, to be honest. They look different enough at least. It's not that much less than most retro games, really.

BS Man is better than people give him credit for. He's great for bosses. Does the most damage against bosses that are hard to hit. I used him on the pony and satan, by far the easiest character to do so with.

Mike is the worst, I think. His sword is weaker than AVGN's gunshots it seems.

Most bosses I can usually get multiple hits with AVGN's gunshots where there seems to be a delay with BS MAn's attack. If you use your middle finger to hit the fire button ( I use 360 controler BTW ) it fires pretty fast.

Mike's weapon is definitely weaker then AVGN's gun ( a single shot does more then mikes weapon ) and since it's a sword it has obviously short range attacks. For some reason they felt that it should have two hindering limitations of range and power instead of just one.

I also have no idea why I called Kyle, Cycle BTW...

---
#9psyduck151Posted 9/26/2013 3:06:24 AM
meh i don't mind the difficulty
i mean you die a lot, but once you die in a certain spot you probably won't get killed there again; it's just trial and error (there are spots where you will err the first time through). the bosses are hard at first, but once you figure out a pattern they're easy. first time going through a level i'd lose 25 lives, and get killed on the boss... second time through I'd lose like two maybe

it reminds me of Mega Man Unlimited, although the bosses aren't as good. and there aren't enough end stages, I thought there would be four at least
---
We Do Not Sow
#10someguyshandPosted 9/26/2013 5:34:35 AM
The only real complaint I have with the game is the heavy overuse of the instant deathblocks, but with the nature of the game and what it is influenced by, I suppose I can't complain as it most likely is intentional.
---
(Insert Name) killed Some Guy
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/55859/122kyz9.gif