Times when you've disagreed with the AVGN

#1VideogamegalaxyPosted 9/29/2013 12:03:07 PM
The Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle series may not be for my age group, but they're not bad games. AVGN just doesn't like puzzle games in general.

Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest, while not perfect, is a nice prototype for the less linear modern Castlevania games. Again, AVGN doesn't like it simply for the puzzle aspect.

Castlevania Bloodlines may not be as good as Super Castlevania 4, but it is better than all 3 NES Castlevania games combined. AVGN just lets his nostalgia for the NES games blind him of this.

In his Batman games video, he spends too much time on Batman NES and completely skips over The Adventures of Batman and Robin, my favorites Batman game. Amazingly faithful graphics and music to the show, nice difficulty, and a variety of gameplay. Again, AVGN has too much nostalgia for 1 game to appreciate the others.

AVGN was actually wrong about not being able to shoot up in the stairs level of Ghostubsters for the Sega Master System. It actually is possible to shoot straight.
#2Danner16Posted 9/30/2013 8:53:30 AM
You do know that his is playing a character and he has expressed that things he has said are not his hard opinions of the game. It's just for entertainment.
---
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.
#3stonelikearockPosted 9/30/2013 8:14:03 PM
AVGN is based off of James, so I think that their opinions are probably pretty similar, James just purposefully focuses on the negative aspects of games in order to make AVGN more funny.
---
"just be glad there's nobody named paperlikeabook to come and post after you. Then you'd be in trouble mister." - arleas http://imgur.com/QgO8q
#4SavenForeverPosted 10/2/2013 1:20:53 PM
Yeah, I remember in an interview once saying that he actually did enjoy Simon's Quest and since it is a character just focused on all the bad aspects of the game. I remember him saying that he didn't like it quite as much as the other two NES entries, but loved some things about it such as the music.

For me, there a couple little things that I disagreed with (Tiny Toons Adventures being a SMB3 clone). But the major one is his view on the Genesis overall, even outside of his character when he did that Genesis vs. SNES video. I don't think he really gives the Genesis a fair shake at all and lets nostalgia and bias blind him when it comes to that war (even though a few points are valid, like the RPG selection being MUCH better on the SNES). Although it was refreshing to hear him say that Genesis Aladdin was better than the SNES one.

But other than that, I enjoy his videos and really loved the ones that I remember having a bad time with growing up as a kid. The Super Pitfall video is one of my favorites for this reason alone and I agreed with pretty much every point he made in that video (Yet, gold does actually have a purpose in Super Pitfall. It gives you extra lives and an altered ending if you collect all of them) and laughed my ass off when he reenacted Pitfall Harry's death animation because thats exactly what me and all of my friends thought he was doing.
---
lolcaps
#5GeneralFoxPosted 10/2/2013 10:21:55 PM
Videogamegalaxy posted...
Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest, while not perfect, is a nice prototype for the less linear modern Castlevania games. Again, AVGN doesn't like it simply for the puzzle aspect.

I remember him complaining about more then just the puzzle aspect.

To name a few things:

1. Boss Difficulty
2. Tricks to get past obstacles that were unrealistic to figure out on your own ( Tornado bit )
3. The Text that constantly interrupts gameplay
4. Last Area not having any monsters to fight till the final fight

to name a few.

Also, I believe he does some episodes due to comical relief and may not be 100% serious on the matter. ( I remember him saying that somewhere, maybe a convention he attended or in front of a group of people )
---
Smooth McGroove's Acapella versions of old school music, a must listen!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothMcGroove?feature=watch
#6psyduck151Posted 10/27/2013 10:55:47 AM
Yeah, I remember in an interview once saying that he actually did enjoy Simon's Quest and since it is a character just focused on all the bad aspects of the game. I remember him saying that he didn't like it quite as much as the other two NES entries, but loved some things about it such as the music.

eh in other videos like James & Mike play he's spoken poorly of Simon's Quest
---
We Do Not Sow
#7GazelMinistryPosted 10/28/2013 12:17:02 PM
I disagree with his review of Dick Tracy insofar as he describes the game as difficult. I beat that game many times as a kid.
---
I am a nontheist, a nihilist. And I'm sure god loves me anyway.
#8KakkaKarrotKakePosted 10/29/2013 10:37:36 AM
GazelMinistry posted...
I disagree with his review of Dick Tracy insofar as he describes the game as difficult. I beat that game many times as a kid.

You being able to beat a game says nothing about it's difficulty.
#9GazelMinistryPosted 10/31/2013 10:04:33 AM
KakkaKarrotKake posted...
GazelMinistry posted...

You being able to beat a game says nothing about it's difficulty.

Well, that depends, doesn't it? If I beat it "many times as a kid" because I practiced the hell out of it, then you may have a point. On the other hand, the fact that I beat it many times as a kid without the frustration that he describes leads to my disagreement with the AVGN's assessment of its difficulty. Then again, I guess I could just be a natural, a savant with NES Dick Tracy.

And the frustration at the driving mechanic is completely unwarranted. All the game does is put the car in the right hand lane. It doesn't make the driving difficult; you press a button and a direction, and you go. It's really quite easy. Then again .... just because I found it easy to drive the car even though the game puts you into the right hand lane, says nothing about how difficult it may actually be to drive the car on account of that mechanic.
---
I am a nontheist, a nihilist. And I'm sure god loves me anyway.
#10KakkaKarrotKakePosted 10/31/2013 11:13:02 AM
Ok, fair enough. I never played Dick Tracy on NES so...uh.....I don't have much else to say.