So i heard everything after Chapter 5 is incredibly repetitive. (spoilers?)

#21Jakachu111Posted 1/19/2014 4:34:01 PM
However an option to skip to the end (chapter 8) is available in chapter 5, which allows you to skip all of the repetitive chapters if you wish.

IMO the repetitive chapters added nothing entirely new yet I still found them enjoyable and I kept coming back for more.
#22Kumori_no_YoruPosted 1/19/2014 4:54:55 PM
Some weren't worth doing in chapter 5 and 6 (obviously, the Alternis ones were worth doing for Ringabel's character development, but I think those were wedged in as mandatory) and others were for development for supporting characters.

Chapter 8's obviously aren't worth doing since they're just there for boss rush purposes. I just skipped them to get to the end, since I figured they'd be there on a NG+.
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: PazuDora Z, Drag-On Dragoon 3, FFXIV:ARR (Exodus)
#23SordelPosted 1/22/2014 9:14:04 AM
Tetris probably got repetitive half way through the first time we played it, but that doesn't prevent it from being a great game. When you fight the same bosses later in the game you have a different set of tools thanks to new jobs and leveling, which means that you can approach the fight differently on each repetition, fine tuning your approach. Even the bosses get some slightly different abilities as they present an increased challenge.

If there's a problem it's that fights that were easy first time feel more so later in the game: that means relatively quick battles, although they can still surprise you and KO members of your party. If you're looking to down a boss in a different way, though, the fights are always interesting, even if they're not always as challenging or alarming.

As for the plot: the plot for the first 80-90 hours is nothing we haven't seen before and the atmosphere is much darker and more oppressive in the later chapters. Although you're doing many of the same things, there's a different feel, and some of the narrative tweaks (such as the quest for the final job) have all the more impact because of the prevailing repetition.

Personally I've never felt the need to skip anything ... yet.
#24NowNowEverySamPosted 1/22/2014 11:23:13 AM
For me, from Chapter 5 is f****** horrible. But like everyone else says, up until that point, the game was amazing.
---
---
FC: 3437-3381-8707
#25badboyPosted 1/22/2014 11:50:49 AM
The bosses are optional though, but they have some interesting new conversations.
#26RokadorPosted 1/22/2014 12:28:01 PM
Apparently the writer for this game also did the Steins;Gate VN. Which makes this amusing now.

I'm not gonna defend it and say that it does get repetitive but frankly it wasn't to the point of making me quit the game forever on the spot. In a way it is a flaw but truthfully I enjoyed the boss rushes. Whether it was necessary as a thing you had to do to advance the story several times isn't my call. I liked it.
---
Steam ID:http://steamcommunity.com/id/koalacopter/
PSN: Axonn1018 | XBL: Koala Copter
#27nonexistingheroPosted 1/23/2014 3:40:36 PM
I'm in chapter 7 now and I have to say it's incredibly repetitive. Especially if you do all sidequests. Too much copy & pasting for cutscenes, constantly fighting the majority of bosses in the game over and over and over again, outright bad storywriting (although the characters themselves do improve a lot), etc. It just screams terrible game design all over. There are some differences every time, but that's really no excuse.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#28Lord LizardPosted 1/24/2014 6:07:23 AM
Sordel posted...
Tetris probably got repetitive half way through the first time we played it, but that doesn't prevent it from being a great game.

Tetris is a completely different game concept that uses a much more dynamic and active gameplay style, thus it doesn't suffer nearly as much from repetition. They cannot compare.
---
I need a signature...
#29Lj_WolfiePosted 1/24/2014 7:28:37 AM
I spent 60 hours on the first 4 chapters of the game and they were fantastic. I struggled to play in Chapter 5 and eventually just stopped playing altogether. Yay Lightning Returns soon.
---
Currently hype for FFXIVARR and Wildstar!
#30SordelPosted 1/24/2014 7:34:49 AM
Lord Lizard posted...
Sordel posted...
Tetris probably got repetitive half way through the first time we played it, but that doesn't prevent it from being a great game.

Tetris is a completely different game concept that uses a much more dynamic and active gameplay style, thus it doesn't suffer nearly as much from repetition. They cannot compare.

My point is that if gameplay is solid, doing it multiple times remains interesting. I play pretty actively in Bravely Default, and although there are aspects of rinse/repeat if you're using jobs that really only do one (or two) things, the gameplay hasn't got boring for me at all, especially as the challenge ratchets up a bit in chapter seven. I'm not sure how I'd beat those fights, in fact, if I hadn't seized the opportunity to try out different techniques against the bosses in the preceding chapters.