wth is a bravery default?

#1Retroxgamer0Posted 1/20/2014 7:27:22 AM
default?... so...not brave?
#2LeanaunfurledPosted 1/20/2014 7:31:36 AM
Haven't heard of a game called Bravery Default.
---
Currently Playing: Tales of Xillia, Monster Hunter 4
3DS FC: 2707-2560-1312 JPN FC 1907-9095-4490
#3toadiemanPosted 1/20/2014 7:34:42 AM
Takes a lot of bravery to go in with just your default setup.
---
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
#4LeanaunfurledPosted 1/20/2014 7:37:53 AM
toadieman posted...

Maybe it's a name that inspires players to go for the level 1 achievement.
---
Currently Playing: Tales of Xillia, Monster Hunter 4
3DS FC: 2707-2560-1312 JPN FC 1907-9095-4490
#5toadiemanPosted 1/20/2014 7:42:36 AM
Leanaunfurled posted...
toadieman posted...

Maybe it's a name that inspires players to go for the level 1 achievement.

Could be. That's the impression I got when I first heard the name.
---
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/
#6lebattePosted 1/20/2014 9:21:56 AM
What is "Bravely Default"?

It's an adverb followed by a verb. "Default" is not a noun here, so it does not mean "standard." It's a verb meaning "to fail to fulfill an obligation." Naotaka Hayashi, the game's scenario writer, explained the title this way: "bravely taking the step towards turning your back on your promises and responsibilities."
#7CyoralPosted 1/20/2014 9:37:16 AM
lebatte posted...

It's an adverb followed by a verb. "Default" is not a noun here, so it does not mean "standard." It's a verb meaning "to fail to fulfill an obligation." Naotaka Hayashi, the game's scenario writer, explained the title this way: "bravely taking the step towards turning your back on your promises and responsibilities."

You'd be surprised hoy many people don't know that definition for "Default".
The title in itself is almost (and I say almost, because it actually isn't if you think about it) paradox.

It's an older usage, as well (possibly going back to Latin, but hey, what doesn't?). It's commonplace to see it used in military, however, to describe the actions dissidents and dissenters.
---
---
I fought to be who I am today. You don't like the fact that I'm a weird Autistic with long hair? Take it up with my fists.
#8lebattePosted 1/20/2014 10:15:32 AM
Cyoral posted...
lebatte posted...

The title in itself is almost (and I say almost, because it actually isn't if you think about it) paradox.

It's an older usage, as well (possibly going back to Latin, but hey, what doesn't?). It's commonplace to see it used in military, however, to describe the actions dissidents and dissenters.
---
It's also very commonly used in the banking industry. "Default on a loan." I really don't think "default" as a verb is even obsolescent. It's just that the noun became prominent due to its relevance in computer software.
#9CyoralPosted 1/20/2014 10:57:34 AM
lebatte posted...
Cyoral posted...
lebatte posted...

---
It's also very commonly used in the banking industry. "Default on a loan." I really don't think "default" as a verb is even obsolescent. It's just that the noun became prominent due to its relevance in computer software.

Aaah, yes of course. Spaced on that fact. Damn I'm old...
Well there you have it, folks. Your history/grammatical/English lesson of the day in a Gamefaqs board. Let's hear some "NEEERRRRRD!"

EDIT- Anyone else think it's rather amusing that a foreigner came up with this game title in a language even the majority of natives don't comprehend?
---
---
I fought to be who I am today. You don't like the fact that I'm a weird Autistic with long hair? Take it up with my fists.