Dealing damage with the Templar?

#1andhagPosted 2/15/2014 12:37:04 AM
I find the Free Lunch/Amped Strike combo to be kinda boring, and I much prefer the Templar class for looks and such. So I was quite disappointed with Desperation. Even though I'm equipped with Night Emperor, Heike Helm/Armor and Bloody Shield, I only deal just over 2k dmg unbuffed. This is less than my Ninja does with a conventional attack.

Is there any way to buff the Templar's damage output to 9999 or close, or do I just have to give up on using the Templar? Any sub command that will help?

Thanks.
#2alt_realityPosted 2/15/2014 12:40:33 AM(edited)
Err... if you want to hit one enemy, Desperation is great. If you want to be epic like Vampire or Dark Knight or anything that can hit multiple enemies at the same time, not so much.

Also, I'll assume you're still fighting single target enemies so you should probably brace yourself for the harder, multi-target fights and start preparing now so you have characters that can hit everyone at once.
---
"Don't tell me you knew this was going to happen from the beginning. Ooh... scary, scary." -Blue Testament, Xenosaga Episode III
#3andhag(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2014 12:41:47 AM
Yeah I mean, I know that there are a lot of class combos better than the the Templar/whatever, but I just want to deal some kind of respectable dmg. 2k just isn't good enough (and I'm lvl 14 Templar btw). I do know that classes are unbalanced towards end game, but this was just disappointing to me :/
#4GroadergreenPosted 2/15/2014 12:44:17 AM
While I don't use the Templar for damage, when the fight is completely in my favor and his BP is maxed I'll burn it with Heaven's Gate to help finish the boss off quicker (keep in mind I switch to 2h for this one move since I don't know how it functions damage wise). I haven't tried Desperation so I don't know how it compares.
---
Pokemon X Friend Safari - 0344-9779-8512 (Phantump, Lampent, Drifblim)
#5alt_realityPosted 2/15/2014 12:46:25 AM
Templar is defense with the occasional burst of damage when you have nothing left but Desperation (hence the name Desperation).

I have one in my party now that I got screwed by the gods of technology.
---
"Don't tell me you knew this was going to happen from the beginning. Ooh... scary, scary." -Blue Testament, Xenosaga Episode III
#6TheArkeonPosted 2/15/2014 1:03:59 AM
A good way would be to get as much P.Atk as possible then using Monk's pressure point to do dmg. I haven't been able to hit 9999 though, only 8.8k non crit.

I'm gonna try a Templar/knight combo with dual shields and p def up then try super charge but I doubt it'll be stronger than the monk combo.

I know how you feel though, the templar class looks real nice, however they're meant to be a defensive class as mentioned.
---
Pokemon X and ACNL 3DS FC: 4570-7189-1237 IGN: Arke
#7dascylusPosted 2/15/2014 1:51:57 AM(edited)
TheArkeon posted...
A good way would be to get as much P.Atk as possible then using Monk's pressure point to do dmg. I haven't been able to hit 9999 though, only 8.8k non crit.

I'm gonna try a Templar/knight combo with dual shields and p def up then try super charge but I doubt it'll be stronger than the monk combo.

I know how you feel though, the templar class looks real nice, however they're meant to be a defensive class as mentioned.

You don't need Dual Shields to do max damage with Super Charge using a Templar/Knight combo. I have Phys Def 20% + Phys Def 10% + Shield Lore + Prolong Support. With a single Bloody Shield equipped, I've been hitting all endgame bosses for 9999 non-crits per Super Charge when buffed with either Ironclad or the Performer Phys Def buffs. I do Sword/Board with Durandal + Bloody Shield so I can use Desperation when I have no BP

This Templar/Knight build leaves room for a single optional 1 point support ability though, so choose whichever you want, I chose Prolong Support so buffs last longer on my Templar allowing my Dark Knight/Performer more turns to attack after the initial buffing phase.

Also, the best way to maximize Desperation damage is to buff your Phys Attack and Defense to 150% first, and then use it... but just once, since one use will lower your Phys Defense to 75% for the remainder of the turn.
#8TheArkeonPosted 2/15/2014 1:50:35 AM
dascylus posted...
TheArkeon posted...

You don't need Dual Shields to do max damage with Super Charge using a Templar/Knight combo. I have Phys Def 20% + Phys Def 10% + Shield Lore + Prolong Support. With a single Bloody Shield equipped, I've been hitting all endgame bosses for 9999 non-crits per Super Charge when buffed with either Ironclad or the Performer Phys Def buffs. I do Sword/Board with Durandal + Bloody Shield so I can use Desperation when I have no BP

but.....but two aegis shields look awesome though....just the thought of a giant knight charging at you with superhuman strength hiding behind two giant shields.
---
Pokemon X and ACNL 3DS FC: 4570-7189-1237 IGN: Arke
#9dascylusPosted 2/15/2014 1:56:55 AM
TheArkeon posted...
dascylus posted...
TheArkeon posted...

but.....but two aegis shields look awesome though....just the thought of a giant knight charging at you with superhuman strength hiding behind two giant shields.

True, but then your entire Templar skillset, minus Rampart, will be completely useless making Templar pointless as a class choice. You'd basically be better off as just a Knight/Spiritmaster at that point since you'd have a more useful overall skillset rather than just being able to use Full Cover, Rampart, and Super Charge.
#10alt_realityPosted 2/15/2014 1:58:55 AM
I switched to Knight/Performer... Knight's defense is too good to not use constantly.
---