Making Knight work

#1crystalchaosPosted 4/7/2014 3:07:17 PM
So really, is this job terrible because the way Protect Ally sucks? or is it not actually supposed to be using Protect Ally to begin with.

Because the "take a hit for an ally in critical health (below 20%) isn't very useful when my characters die from 40-60% health....
#2Misha-HeartPosted 4/7/2014 3:16:04 PM
You can purposely lower their HPs by letting them die and use a Phoenix Down. Then your knight will automatically guard your whole party. Full Cover is also handy, although you can only guard one ally.

Knight's limited to single physical hitters, so its use isn't that impressive late-game.
---
Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is the purest love. No questions asked.
Sakura Trick has brought forth hope and will revolutionize the world.
#3crystalchaos(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 3:20:31 PM
I was afraid that was the case

Honestly I don't get why protect ally isn't "take an incapacitating blow" not "take a blow if they're under 20% hp"
#4alt_realityPosted 4/7/2014 3:29:42 PM
They would probably have to make a new class called Psychic Knight if that was the case... the Knight is a meathead who can't predict how painful an attack will be; he only knows to jump in front of an attack if his ally is low on health.

From a gameplay perspective, that would be a more useful ability but there's already a significant array of broken defensive abilities at your disposal and you can definitely build around Protect Ally to a certain point but it, and the entire Knight class for that matter, will eventually be outclassed by later jobs defense-wise (specifically, Templar, Merchant, and Spiritmaster).
---
"Don't tell me you knew this was going to happen from the beginning. Ooh... scary, scary." -Blue Testament, Xenosaga Episode III
#5crystalchaos(Topic Creator)Posted 4/7/2014 3:35:26 PM
Yea I'm just coming off using spiritmaster since it was broken to the point of autowin, which is nice once in a while but I felt it more interesting to have some back and forth.
#6alt_realityPosted 4/7/2014 3:42:58 PM
You might try to use the Spiritmaster more offensively and leave the tanking up to just using Low Leverage; I made it through the entire main game without having to use Stillness aside from Mega Magic.
---
"Don't tell me you knew this was going to happen from the beginning. Ooh... scary, scary." -Blue Testament, Xenosaga Episode III