dragons: does wearing relative charm work?

#1ThePHiLsTeRPosted 4/11/2014 9:11:17 AM
Right now fighting the fire dragon. Will equiping flame charm work? Its casting a spell that makes me weak to fire. Seems to cast over my flame resistance shield and any anti-flame support.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#2crystalchaosPosted 4/11/2014 9:11:57 AM
I believe the flame charm functions the same as your resistance and flame support, so it would work up until he overwrites it.
#3Son Goku XPosted 4/11/2014 9:15:16 AM
It'll still overwrite Flame Charm like it does every other resistance.

I suggest just going Shadowflare/Dark Bane spam on the dragon if you're having trouble. Kill it asap, you don't even need to level up Salve Maker.
---
"Maria which Gun*** is that?" -Klaus
#4ThePHiLsTeR(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2014 10:08:20 AM(edited)
In order to make Shadow Flare , takes 1 Demon Tail + 1 Dragon Fang

There are 6 dragons at 75000 HP each

Each Dragon to defeat takes 15 Shadow flares and 15 Dragon Fangs

Since there are 6 dragons, that means I need a total of 90 shadow flares and 90 dragon fangs

Wow that is going to take a long time.

Edit:Actually my black mage was doing about 5k each cast of -aga so maybe half the amount of items are needed.

That is still alot though.
---
i5-2500k, azrock z68 Gen3 Extreme 3, 8g ram, win7, crossfire sapphire 6850, 256gb Samsung 840, CM QuickFirePro Brown Switches, Korean IPS monitor, Playstation 3
#5Umbris_LetalisPosted 4/11/2014 10:27:43 AM
Ninjas, or more specifically Utsusemi, work wonders against those dragons during the sidequest.

My most recent party consisted of 2 Ninja/Spell Fencer, 1 Ninja/Performer and 1 Black Mage/Ninja.

Since all of their attacks are physical, so long as you have Utsusemi active they can't hurt you. Pair this off with Turn Tables and you'll gain 1 BP every time you evade an attack.

I feel like development dropped the ball somewhat with elemental resistances, and it becomes evident during these fights. Resistance and Immunity from equipment/passive abilities shouldn't have been a status effect, since ,as you can see, the dragons can completely overwrite them. Furthermore those abilities should have worked like Imperil from FFXIII where it reduces the resistance towards that element by one level rather than immediately making you weak to it.

It's ridiculous that in one turn a single skill will make an entire party weak to water (for example), when the entire party was resistant to it when the fight first started.
---
PSN: LostRequiem1|3DS FC: 3067-5637-2563 - PM me so I can add back
#6S4lr4yPosted 4/11/2014 10:59:10 AM
Umbris_Letalis posted...

It's ridiculous that in one turn a single skill will make an entire party weak to water (for example), when the entire party was resistant to it when the fight first started.

And you need only one Skill to make your Party immune against Water again. Not to mention that you also can make your Enemy weak against any Element you want, so this is really fair.
Whit the exception of Multi Target Boss Battles )
#7Umbris_LetalisPosted 4/11/2014 12:22:32 PM(edited)
S4lr4y posted...
Umbris_Letalis posted...

And you need only one Skill to make your Party immune against Water again. Not to mention that you also can make your Enemy weak against any Element you want, so this is really fair.
Whit the exception of Multi Target Boss Battles )

Are you referencing Enigma? So you're going to grind up to j.Lvl 13 with SM? After just getting it? With a 3 BP cost, it's a good thing that the dragons don't spam those debuffs, so you can react immediately.

If we're talking about Airy then it would be different. But this comes much earlier and it doesn't ignore the fact that resistances given to you through passive abilities shouldn't count as status effects.
---
#8Yamata_DemonPosted 4/11/2014 12:37:49 PM
You don't have to use Enigma. You have Adaption, Spirit Ward and Greater Spirit Ward.
---
http://i.imgur.com/jgYSN8l.gif
#9ThePHiLsTeR(Topic Creator)Posted 4/11/2014 1:25:52 PM(edited)
Umbris_Letalis posted...
Ninjas, or more specifically Utsusemi, work wonders against those dragons during the sidequest.

My most recent party consisted of 2 Ninja/Spell Fencer, 1 Ninja/Performer and 1 Black Mage/Ninja.

Since all of their attacks are physical, so long as you have Utsusemi active they can't hurt you. Pair this off with Turn Tables and you'll gain 1 BP every time you evade an attack.

I feel like development dropped the ball somewhat with elemental resistances, and it becomes evident during these fights. Resistance and Immunity from equipment/passive abilities shouldn't have been a status effect, since ,as you can see, the dragons can completely overwrite them. Furthermore those abilities should have worked like Imperil from FFXIII where it reduces the resistance towards that element by one level rather than immediately making you weak to it.

How do you damage? Off the counter? I made this setup but barely doing any damage.

Edit: I might go 4 ninja/salve maker. When BP builds up I'll compound shadowflare
---
#10Umbris_LetalisPosted 4/11/2014 1:45:29 PM(edited)
Yamata_Demon posted...
You don't have to use Enigma. You have Adaption, Spirit Ward and Greater Spirit Ward.

True. But he said you "only need one Skill to make your Party immune against Water again." None of the skills you mentioned do that in a single move.

Only Greater Spirit Ward effects your whole party in one move and it will be overridden anyway. The dragons can and will spam their elemental weakness ability.

I know and don't care that the ability can be countered with spells because my initial grievance is that a passive ability can be removed and ignored constantly because it counts as a status effect rather than an actual passive ability. I disagree with the mechanic, not the amount of options to cope with it.

@ThePHiLsTeR

You deal damage with Transience and it gets boosted with the stat increase from Comeback Kid. Because you have Utsusemi w/ Turn Tables you'll gain 1 BP upon dodging as well as the inherent 1 BP gain when the next combat round starts.

With that in mind you either reactivate Utsusemi or Attack.
---