Is it just me or are melee classes rendered null by mage classes end game?

#1TaladasharPosted 4/27/2014 1:20:58 PM
Alright, so I'm in chapter 5 and everyone is level 99 and has mastered all jobs.

Any melee job i use only does around 2000ish damage per attack unless I'm going after weaknesses and even then they're not hitting all that hard.

On the other hand, my vampire/time mage combo with less MA than the melees have PA is able to do 9999 damage per cast. I have enough mp restore abilities and items that mass casting isn't an issue.

So is it just me or is going melee pointless at high levels/ end game?
---
( \ ( \"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain, It's time to roll the dice ."
(=^:^) So sayeth the cute bunny
#2anondumPosted 4/27/2014 1:40:17 PM
ninjas/dark knights hit multiple times

otherwise yeah the edge is probably mages since a lot of fights are multiple enemies that you can nuke for 9999 through low leverage with -ajas or whatever
#3ShadianVisePosted 4/27/2014 1:47:22 PM
Don't really understand why you're having that problem. My level 61 Edea as a level 12 Pirate is doing 3000+ damage per hit on bosses with normal attacks (Fox Tail axe).
---
I stand in the place bathed in heavenly light, thou art where the gate to the Underworld opens, come forth, divine lightning! This is the end! Indignation!
#4King_of_FlanPosted 4/27/2014 1:49:01 PM
I have to disagree. The only nuking I've seen is with the Meteor, which you can do Free Lunch on. I never really liked the -ja spells. Melee, on the other hand, has Ninjas. Cast Hastes and Quicks with Frenetic Fighting/Precision/ etc and you'll be smacking around 9ks with every hit. That's eight hits each....
---
|{1n6_0f_F|4n
3DS FC: 0061-0713-5038 All five Battle Maison trophies in Pokemon X on 4/15/2014
#5Dork_VaderPosted 4/27/2014 1:59:41 PM
That is like an exact inversion of the actual endgame.

If your melees aren't capping damage under low leverage you aren't abusing certain abilities/gear/jobs hard enough. It costs how much mp to do 9999 dmg? 99? 200+ for Interment? True if you can land poison you can Toxic Whirl -> Extermination for 4 mp a pop, but consider other uses of mp or sources of damage.

If you want to do 9999 aoe's, all you need is a level 1 character with level 14 Salve-Maker and Conjurer, plus high enough Templar for Item Critical/Critical Amp, apply appropriate weakness, Susano-o twice to cap crit rate, then they tosses the items that makes the guys fall down. Pay to Play can be used for crit buffs instead, as low level characters won't have much mp, but Pay to Play only costs 50 pg for +300% crit on a level 1 character... soooo, you know, you can spam it all day long if you want.

For a level 99 character who can spend the mp for Conjurer buffs, put it as a sub on Ninja except use 1 Susano-o and 1 Promethean Fire while dual wielding ama-no-murakumo katanas, 198 mp for self buffs + 40 mp for Quick twice (costs halved under low leverage of course) with Hawkeye/Precision/Frenetic Fighting and you've got 10 turns on the conjurer buffs/4 turns on time mage buffs to do 9999 per hand up to 4 times per round.

Apply Fairy Ward and Pay to Play once on a Dark Knight after they equip a Blood Blade and use it for Drain Sword then swap back to Ama-no-murakumo, buff with Life or Death (which doesn't inflict Doom under Fairy Ward), and have Sword Magic Amp/Drain Attack Up/Gloom/Two-Handed/P.Atk +10% equipped. Spam Rage for 9999 x5 up to 4 times per round.
---
This is not a signature.
#6Dark Cloud 237Posted 4/27/2014 2:24:46 PM
For most people, me included, magic attacks fall completely by the wayside by the end game in favor of physicals. Pirate/Swordmaster can easily hit cap for no MP cost, Frenetic Fighter Ninjas can hit the cap twice per attack, and Dark Knights can hit repeatedly with Rage and then ignore defenses and Default with Minus Strike... the only attack spell left that seemed of any use was Meteor, and even that costs a whopping 99 MP per pop.

Still, I do hope Bravely Second will give mages more viability in the endgame.
---
Dark Cloud 237 just used his FS to OHKO the TC. - GoldenGamer 07
#7OwnagepuffsPosted 4/27/2014 2:42:44 PM
Dork_Vader posted...
That is like an exact inversion of the actual endgame.

---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#8R_HunterPosted 4/27/2014 3:00:24 PM
How the heck? My Vampire/Monk and my Pirate/Swordmaster are hitting the cap with ease.

You need to reevaluate your builds that are netting you such low damage.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board
#9alt_realityPosted 4/27/2014 4:38:50 PM
Single target damage potential:

Mass Attack
Rage
Summon In Pinch (being triggered on all characters at the same time)
Summon Substitute/See You In Hell (being triggered on three characters at the same time)
Dual wielder regular attack
Every single other thing in the game

Most things can hit 9999 if you build your characters right.
---
"Don't tell me you knew this was going to happen from the beginning. Ooh... scary, scary." -Blue Testament, Xenosaga Episode III
#10Taladashar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 5:38:45 PM
Dork_Vader posted...
Apply Fairy Ward and Pay to Play once on a Dark Knight after they equip a Blood Blade and use it for Drain Sword then swap back to Ama-no-murakumo, buff with Life or Death (which doesn't inflict Doom under Fairy Ward), and have Sword Magic Amp/Drain Attack Up/Gloom/Two-Handed/P.Atk +10% equipped. Spam Rage for 9999 x5 up to 4 times per round.

See this worked out fairly well. Didn't get 9999 damage, but still over 8k a hit. Probably because the highest sword I have is Night Emperor.

I don't have conjurer yet, so that set up is really no good.

Right now I made Edea that Dark Knight set up *and yeah, fought Satan and she was dealing and draining 9999 hp a hit*, turned Tiz into a BP battery and Agnes is my healer.

Still not sure about Ringabel, but he's able to deal 9999 damage and reraise/heal if I need with time magic and vampirism, so I'll probably keep him this way.
---
( \ ( \"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain, It's time to roll the dice ."
(=^:^) So sayeth the cute bunny