Is it just me or are melee classes rendered null by mage classes end game?

#11anondumPosted 4/27/2014 5:01:30 PM
mana costs are not a big deal under low leverage. my conjurer/summoner hits for 9999 under low leverage and they only cost 20 mp. most of the physical classes fall off pretty hard, especially things like judgement and godspeed strike. ninjas and dark knights are the exception, not the rule.
#12silktailPosted 4/27/2014 5:24:04 PM
alt_reality posted...
Single target damage potential:

Mass Attack
Rage
Summon In Pinch (being triggered on all characters at the same time)
Summon Substitute/See You In Hell (being triggered on three characters at the same time)
Dual wielder regular attack
Every single other thing in the game

Most things can hit 9999 if you build your characters right.

Hmm... I wonder if the top of that list should include "Bravely Second" & "Friend Summon". ;)

Otherwise I was trying to remember if the Swordmaster counters could combine with a different counter (which would be another 2 attack combo). But I don't think I have tested anything like that, so maybe that doesn't work.
---
#13Dork_VaderPosted 4/27/2014 5:35:12 PM
Swordmaster counters kinda override others as I recall, I was trying to use Utsu+Nothing Ventured at one point and I recall the swordmaster one going off instead of transience?

Might be thinking of trying to full cover the ninja though, I do know you can stack different kinds of swordmaster counters or do things like use know thine enemy on a few enemies but the regular nothing ventured starts to hit the cap pretty soon after know thine enemy does (though again, 9999 crit counter in the low 30's is neat!) but I don't think I've ever seen a stacked counter go off.

Like if you use know thine enemy and nothing ventured you'll get one or the other depending on which one hits you, but not both sadly.
---
This is not a signature.
#14tempest_storm34Posted 4/27/2014 5:55:22 PM
Dark Cloud 237 posted...
For most people, me included, magic attacks fall completely by the wayside by the end game in favor of physicals. Pirate/Swordmaster can easily hit cap for no MP cost, Frenetic Fighter Ninjas can hit the cap twice per attack, and Dark Knights can hit repeatedly with Rage and then ignore defenses and Default with Minus Strike... the only attack spell left that seemed of any use was Meteor, and even that costs a whopping 99 MP per pop.

Still, I do hope Bravely Second will give mages more viability in the endgame.

Yeah, I don't find mages terribly useful, which is pretty typical for the FF games I played.
---
FC: 1693-1529-4475
#15Hirokey123Posted 4/27/2014 6:13:18 PM
I think they give magic pretty good viability because all the "good" mage classes had powerful endgame spells.

Vampires got the -aja spells the most powerful form of black magic you can usually have and basically is reversed only for bosses....so it's a nice treat Bravely Default breaks that mold and lets us steal it from bosses.
Time Mages got Meteor which is as powerful as always
Arcanists got Internment
Summoners got Suasan-o (even though it's kinda low key but that's cause summoner is garbage in this game)
White Magic and its more advanced spirit magic never stop being useful.
Salve-maker is apparently considered by the game to be a type of magic they even group all the "mages" together and Salve-Maker is grouped with them.
Conjurer's are given the greatest buffs in the game and some fantastic stats to go with.

Really if there was some sort of dual cast skill in this game mages be golden because then they could keep up with the the more insane melee combos.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#16Dork_VaderPosted 4/27/2014 6:26:47 PM
I think the biggest problem is that the best spells are on a physically powerful class (Vampire) which has a wide range of readily damage-capped AoE's it can spam for a lot less MP than the m.atk based stuff it has.
---
This is not a signature.
#17alt_realityPosted 4/27/2014 6:43:04 PM
silktail posted...
alt_reality posted...
Single target damage potential:

Mass Attack
Rage
Summon In Pinch (being triggered on all characters at the same time)
Summon Substitute/See You In Hell (being triggered on three characters at the same time)
Dual wielder regular attack
Every single other thing in the game

Most things can hit 9999 if you build your characters right.

Hmm... I wonder if the top of that list should include "Bravely Second" & "Friend Summon". ;)

Otherwise I was trying to remember if the Swordmaster counters could combine with a different counter (which would be another 2 attack combo). But I don't think I have tested anything like that, so maybe that doesn't work.
---

I sure did o.O

But the point here was that unless you're running a suicidal/near-death party, magic will never be able to compete with a few broken physical attacks (unless of course you're using Bravely Second but that is irrelevant in most cases). Even if you ARE running a near-death party, Mass Attack will still do it better.
---
"Don't tell me you knew this was going to happen from the beginning. Ooh... scary, scary." -Blue Testament, Xenosaga Episode III
#18Simple_ProblemPosted 4/27/2014 7:51:01 PM
Nah, Ninjas!!!! With Hunter secondary abilities. Focus equipment on Agility (hit count) boosts and use the 2x Hit-count-limit Ninja ability. We're talking 15,000-19,998 damage with your two knives.

Dark Knights use Physical.

Don't forget Monkmages. That's a Monk with Natural Ability, Phantom Weapon, and Auto-Aspir Blade. Not a physical attacker, but a meteor DROPPER. :D. Attack to regain MP when needed.

Salve-Maker! POWERFUL DPS there. Giant's Drink + Dragon's Breath x3 and we're talking 28k. Turbo Ether and X-Potion combine to give you a Half-Elixer that generously gives the recipient 5,000hp and 500mp (I think)

Anyway, there are so many COMBOS! Private message me! :D
---
Playing: Bravely Default, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Magic 2014, Fallout: New Vegas
Shut up and eat your damn lemons.
#19Taladashar(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2014 8:36:47 PM
I just really want a big damage set up (doesn't have to deal exactly 9999 or over, but 8-9k would be great) that doesn't require a lot to set up.

I mean, I get 5 rounds on my Dark Knight before she keels over, which is 250k damage. My Time Mage with no set up deals 40k damage a round, only needing a round or 2 to heal up MP (which with basically unlimited funds is nothing). My BP battery keeps everyone attacking every round.

I've no clue how high monster/boss HPs get, but I'm sure very few things in the game could survive 450k damage.

So yeah. just set ups that don't require a ton of setup to be able to deal consistent high damage.
---
( \ ( \"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain, It's time to roll the dice ."
(=^:^) So sayeth the cute bunny
#20Dork_VaderPosted 4/27/2014 9:51:17 PM(edited)
If you equip a Blood Blade, use it as an item, and then switch back to your strongest weapon (which should generally be a katana/two handed or knuckle lore/natural talent with no equips) you don't lose HP when you use Rage, also helps hit the damage cap easier if you use the drain attack up and sword magic boosts.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean 5 rounds before Life or Death kills them? Use Fairy Ward beforehand so the Doom doesn't land?

My favorite speed damage setup is probably Ninja/Conjurer x2, Merchant/Time Mage, Performer/Freelancer.

Both Ninjas with Ama-no-murakumo/Falcon Knife and Hermes Shoes, both use Promethean Fire+Susano-o, then attack twice.

Merchant/Time Mage needs enough Agi to outspeed the Ninjas, so dual wield knives+shoes which hopefully will be enough, if not use however many speed support abilities are needed to go first consistently. Low Leverage > Quick on Ninja 1 > Quick on Ninja 2 > Hastega or Veilga or Regen or whatever, up to you.

Performer/Freelancer of course spams My Hero > Mimic x3, have them dual wield staves so you can bust out Rejuvenation in a pinch for healing/raising (set the KO cure special component) and just do the usual mindless stuff there. They're a good slot to put your Hasten or Slow World on as their support abilities don't matter much.

First round you dole out 9999 x8, every round after you're doing 9999 x16, most likely the Merchant won't have the stats to do good damage with Meteor though I'm sure you could probably set up something to make it decent, maybe set Pierce M. Def or something and swap from knives to rods after the buffing round? Possibly do Time Mage/Merchant instead?

Actually, I don't think I was able to get the Merchant to outspeed the Ninjas when they were using Hermes shoes and a Falcon Knife which would be why I used Group Cast All and just did Quick x2 to buff both to the hit rate cap with the lower Agi gear (think I went with 2x Ama-no-murakumos on both because I don't like the Falcon Knife model actually, same reason I went with Merchant/Time Mage for Agnes, having a southern belle standing there facing off against massive interdimensional planet eating deities amuses me) but you get the idea I'm sure.
---
This is not a signature.