How exactly does Blood Thirst (Vamp) work?

#1Drkdragonz66Posted 7/11/2014 9:51:33 PM
Is it affected by strength or intelligence, and do phys/magic boosts affect it? I mean in terms of damage it does, along with the amount of damage it heals, how do enemy stats affect it (will it do 1 dmg on an enemy with 9999 phys/magic def, stuff like that
#2OwnagepuffsPosted 7/12/2014 2:46:34 AM
It is based on P Atk/Str and can be buffed accordingly.

It does not pierce defense, meaning it is subject to the enemy's P Def which means 1 damage against the 9999 Def nemeses.
---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#3alt_realityPosted 7/12/2014 4:51:06 AM
It doesn't; use something else.
---
"Do you... want my carrots?" Jowy Atreides, Suikoden II
#4OwnagepuffsPosted 7/12/2014 8:12:55 AM
alt_reality posted...

Against things that don't have 9999 P def Blood Thirst is pretty broken. This is if you have a properly setup Vamp/Conj

Blood thirst + white wind is pretty great
---
".....It's fine, Mr. Wright... Even a bluff would suit me just fine... As long as you can... ..clear up this doubt inside me!"
-Apollo Justice
#5Drkdragonz66(Topic Creator)Posted 7/12/2014 2:25:23 PM
Can you tell me or post a link to this Vamp/Conj setup? I'm bored with the same old classes I use, so I'm trying new setups and stuff, thanks :)
#6Soryuju32Posted 7/12/2014 3:13:30 PM
Vampire/Conjurer can take one of two forms, either a Katana version or a Natural Talent version. The builds look like this:

Vampire/Conjurer
>Ama-no-Murakumo, Headband/Red Cap, Brave Suit, Hermes Shoes

-Katana Lore
-Two-Handed
-Drain Attack Up
-Monster Ability Up
-Absorb P. Damage

or

Vampire/Conjurer

-Natural Talent
-Knuckle Lore
-Monster Ability Up
-Angelic Ward
-Absorb P. Damage

The Katana version sets up with Drain from a Blood Blade (equip it to cast, then unequip it immediately afterward), Susano-o x1 and Promethean Fire x1. The NT version instead uses Susano-o x2 and Promethean Fire x1.

Which you use is mostly a matter of preference. The Katana version is faster, has better defense against everything with 750 P. Attack or less (which is everything but the strongest Nemeses, which hit for 9999 on almost any build), gets the Brave Suit, and has a perfect crit rate (compared to 90% for the NT version). Also, all of its physical attacks will drain HP, instead of just Blood Thirst.

The Natural Talent version, on the other hand, has access to Knuckle Specials, which are useful for both the team-wide power boost (if your damage dealers don't already have their own buffs) and the ability to extend Special chains, and has more flexibility with its support slots, allowing it to take multiple defensive abilities to offset its inherent squishiness. Knuckle specials also give it access to a physical Lightning attack, which the build is missing otherwise. Finally, since it's in a different speed tier than the Katana version, one build may fit more comfortably into your team than the other.

I personally prefer the Katana build, but which is better for you will come down to what your team needs. Both builds will give you a consistent source of 9999 damage attacks (both single-target and AoE) under Low Leverage, defense-piercing damage with Fireball, access to the Vampire's high-efficiency debuffs, and powerful healing courtesy of White Wind. Vampire/Conjurers work best under Low Leverage, since it reduces the cost of their skills and reduces incoming damage (thus making White Wind more reliable), but they can fit comfortably in just about any team.
#7alt_realityPosted 7/13/2014 7:55:06 AM
Ownagepuffs posted...
alt_reality posted...

Against things that don't have 9999 P def Blood Thirst is pretty broken. This is if you have a properly setup Vamp/Conj

Blood thirst + white wind is pretty great

I guess if you really need a healer then that's a valid option. Minus Strike, however, works regardless of the enemy's defense but then you lose your Conjurer skillset and are stuck with the Dark Knight/Vampire which I abhor if you want your DK to heal (or worse yet, Vampire/Dark Knight).
---
"Do you... want my carrots?" Jowy Atreides, Suikoden II
#8Drkdragonz66(Topic Creator)Posted 7/14/2014 3:07:59 PM
alt_reality posted...
I guess if you really need a healer then that's a valid option. Minus Strike, however, works regardless of the enemy's defense but then you lose your Conjurer skillset and are stuck with the Dark Knight/Vampire which I abhor if you want your DK to heal (or worse yet, Vampire/Dark Knight).

Ehhh I'm a stillness loop user so healers are pointless, but a vampire with white wind boosted by a Giant's Draft is the best healing option if that's someone's thing.

My current build is one that uses Minus strike and the stillness loop. A bit annoying that you have to use HP ups until you bun your HP up to over 10k, but other than that it's pretty good. I have them go do down to 1 hp using poison and then use MP Free in a Pinch skill and other secondary jobs to boost speed when nessasary and get rid of MP cost. cba to go into more depth cause it's pretty simple and pure laziness