How to win the game?

#1StriderVMPosted 7/18/2011 4:12:35 PM
So basically I'm kind of confused on how to win the game.

The game specifies different ways to win the game, like winning mayor or eliminating every other ganglord in the city. How would you do this thing? Even if only for CPU opponents, this game has been in my stock for such a long time. But my enjoyment is stilted due to my inability to do certain tasks. Thanks. =)
---
PCSX2 - Runs PS2 MVC2 PERFECTLY
NullDC - Runs DC MVC2 nicely, needs only 2.8Ghz PC
#2apple1986Posted 7/21/2011 9:34:55 AM
Disclaimer: I have not played this game for many years so everything in the following post may not be 100% accurate but I hope it helps.

IIRC, There are 3 ways of 'winning' each game and each method of winning provides a different score bonus due to the increasing difficulty to achieve said victory. The 3 methods are listed by increasing difficulty:

1. Go Straight
The easiest, and the lowest scoring, way to win. In order to do this you need to not have any illegal businesses and minimal, or possibly no, illegal income. This can be achieved by using your protection money or illegal business profits to buy out legal businesses until you are making a good legal profit. Then simply shut down all your illegal businesses and stop collecting extortion money and then in the following week hit the button (can't quite remember where it's located) to 'go straight'.

2. Be Elected Mayor
The medium difficulty win. In order to win this way I believe you need to wait as along as week 20, or at least until the elections begin (you will be notified when you can run for mayor). Then an option will appear somewhere in the weekly planner to run for mayor.

In order to be successfully elected you need to gain a lot of popularity in the city. This can be done by bribing officials, donating to soup kitchens and churches and generally doing good in the city. I think it also helps be in ownership of the radio stations and newspapers too as they will help increase your popularity. Furthermore, try not to commit any crimes during the elections and reduce or stop collecting protection money altogether. If your election campaign goes to plan you will be elected mayor and you win the game.

3. Destroy the opposition
This is the hardest way to win. However, it provides the most points towards your end score. To win in this way simply remove the other 3 gangs from the city and become the all powerful mafia ruler.

You can do this in many ways; outright war, financial supremacy, having the other gang bosses arrested, etc.. You basically need to have a firm hold on the city turf and muscle your opposition in to a position in which they cannot fight back. Destroy their businesses, kill or hire their best hoods, take over their turf and back them in to a corner. Once they are weakened and you have located their main office and/or boss using explore commands send in a hit squad to bomb the place or murder the boss. Using highly skilled hoods to get the job done works best but beware that there will be a lot of security at a gang HQ and you will likely lose some hoods if all goes well, and lose them all if it goes wrong.

I'd also recommend warring with only 1 gang at a time. That way you can concentrate all of your resources on 1 gang and not be fighting a war on 3 fronts. Also, in order to successfully remove a gang it has to be very weak. Simply killing the leader or seeing him thrown in jail does not mean the end of the gang as one of the top lieutenants may take their place. That is why it is important to kill off or hire as many of their hoods as possible.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll monitor the thread.
---
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
#3StriderVM(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2011 7:43:51 PM
OK, finally I was able to do two of the ways to win the game. The last one still eludes me (Every every other gang leader), how do you do this?

- How can you find the enemy headquarters? Send hoods with high stealth ratings to explore buildings until you find it? Any other way?

- If a hood gets killed while inside a building, does that mean there's an enemy hood guarding that place and does it also mean there's a possibility there's an illegal business in the middle of that building?
---
PCSX2 - Runs PS2 MVC2 PERFECTLY
NullDC - Runs DC MVC2 nicely, needs only 2.8Ghz PC
#4apple1986Posted 7/24/2011 7:10:02 AM
- How can you find the enemy headquarters? Send hoods with high stealth ratings to explore buildings until you find it? Any other way?

That is the most reliable way of locating any property owned by the opposition. The headquarters is always located in the middle of a tenement block so search them if you know of any owned by the other gangs. Sending a group of hoods with high firearms and stealth skill and good weapons may increase the likelihood of them getting in and discovering the HQ.

It may be best to increase your turf in the city until you have almost total control before you go after the HQ. That way the enemy gangs have less illegal income and won't be able to pay their hoods. Hoods will leave the gang and you have less security to deal with when you hit your opponents properties. Also, you will know the location of all the enemy businesses.

- If a hood gets killed while inside a building, does that mean there's an enemy hood guarding that place and does it also mean there's a possibility there's an illegal business in the middle of that building?

Yes, if your hood goes missing in a building chances are it is owned by another gang and they have someone guarding it. Usually, after your hood turns up dead in a building you will have enough information about the building to know who's turf it is in and who owns and is running the business.

To find out if an illegal business is being run in the middle of the block you will have to send someone to explore the place. If you know of a front business being run by the opposition you may find an illegal operation going on in the back if you attack the front building or the empty property behind using arson/bomb commands. Damaging your opponents properties also has the advantage of alerting city police to the business who may in turn find an illegal business and shut it down for you.

This is my favoured way of dealing with other gangs. Gain as much turf in the city as you can (remember to publicly smash up any businesses not willing to pay for your protection as a lesson to others.) Then once the other gangs have little income from extortion money send in a few disposable hoods to torch any front businesses you have located that your opponents own, focusing on one gang at a time. Sit back for a couple of weeks to see if the police or FBI shut down any illegal operations or even arrest the other gang leader if you torched the front to their HQ. Then repeat if necessary, or send in hit squads with explore or kill commands to potential locations of the HQ once their gang is weakened, both financially and in numbers of their hoods. Eventually, the leader will be located, dead or in jail and the opposing gangs will be weak enough to not have anyone else take over.

All the while, continue to buy up legal businesses to increase your legal income and recruit hoods who have good stats from the opposition to further reduce their manpower and improve your position in the city. Paying for information from snitches can provide you with names and stats of opposition hoods worth poaching.
---
Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.