Do wands run out?

#1UratohPosted 2/26/2009 8:23:13 PM
Imoen came with a Wand of Magic Missiles...its damage is weak, but I see no listed charges...what's the mechanic for using it up?
---
Pokemon Pearl
Trainer: Yuki Code: 4940 7329 0039
#2The_Pig_Posted 2/26/2009 8:56:00 PM
Yes, wands have limited charges. One charge is used every time you use the wand (unless the item description says that it uses more charges). The number of charges can vary anywhere from 10-50.

BG1 does not show the number of charges left, so it is just guesswork to determine how many charges you have left. BG2 and consequently Tutu do show the number of charges if you have the wand in a quick-slot.

Sorcerous Sundries, an arcane shop in the city of Baldur's Gate, sells an unlimited quantity of all the wands in the game. So you don't need to be stingy with wand usage, since you can just buy more when they run out.
#3d_pPosted 2/28/2009 1:18:57 PM
Its damage is weak but it's good when you want to disrupt an enemy spell casting. Mirror Images and other protections aside, unlike an arrow, the magic missile doesn't consider thAC0, it will hit. You can easily recharge wands by selling them and then immediately buying them back, or stealing them...
---
You must gather your party before venturing forth...
#4The_Pig_Posted 2/28/2009 1:33:36 PM
You can easily recharge wands by selling them and then immediately buying them back

That is so cheap though since wands are not supposed to be rechargeable. Plus, there are so many wands found in loot, that you really don't have a problem running out anyway. Double plus, as I mentioned before Sorcerous Sundries sells unlimited quantities of all the wands anyway.
#5d_pPosted 3/1/2009 2:31:47 PM
Cheap? I thought it was full of win :( In Baldur's Gate II you can see the number of charges left in the wands and when fully charged, monster summoning wands have about 50 charges and flame strike ones have more... you say they're not supposed to be charged because of a d&d rule or something? The charged ones cost a lot of coins... well, they still con be stolen after you sell them, in some places.

---
You must gather your party before venturing forth...
#6Southe05Posted 3/2/2009 5:50:09 AM
early on this game makes you feel a bit poor but i'm up to the cloakwood and i'm sitting on a big pile of 50,000 gold coins.

which probably weighs a thousand pounds and travels in three steamer trunks.
---
Saruman: You did not seriously think that a hobbit could contend with the will of Southie, there are none that can.
#7The_Pig_Posted 3/2/2009 6:11:45 AM
Yeah, money is no problem at all. I usually stop collecting and selling loot halfway through the game because I already have more than enough money.

The wands of paralyzation, which are the best wands, are rather cheap too at Sorcerous Sundries.
#8joefitts63Posted 3/2/2009 6:35:36 AM
"That is so cheap though since wands are not supposed to be rechargeable"
"I mentioned before Sorcerous Sundries sells unlimited quantities of all the wands"

I have to say that it seems to me that wands are not supposed to be available in unlimited quantities either, so what does it matter if you recharge them rather than buying new ones? There really is no practical difference.
---
A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body.
#9The_Pig_Posted 3/2/2009 8:50:54 AM
^ Because there is no D&D rule that says that wands can be recharged, so that is a cheap trick.

Who says though that a shop can't stockpile a horde of inventory? Especially if it is a hot item that sells well, a shop is going to want to have a lot of that inventory.
#10joefitts63Posted 3/2/2009 11:07:54 AM
You are considering a minor difference a serious dividing line between cheese and non-cheese. If you sell your old wand, what is the difference between buying back the same one and buying another one that is exactly like it? As far as I am concerned, buying unlimited wands is no less cheesy than recharging wands. It is a rules loophole, at best.
---
A good friend will help you move. A really good friend will help you move a body.