Mustard jellies

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate
  3. Mustard jellies

User Info: juhamieto

juhamieto
7 years ago#1
Hmm. So I'm freshly out of Nashkel Mines and this mad mage throws some mustard jellies at me. Problem is, every single item I have is ineffective against them. Except for Imoen's fire arrows that do 1 damage and even if they didn't attack back I wouldn't have enough arrows to kill them both. What on Earth do I have to hit them with? Monster Encyclopedia for bg2 lists them immune only to piercing damage?!

User Info: wirts_leg_

wirts_leg_
7 years ago#2
They have 100% piercing resistance and are immune to non-magical weapons. That means you need a magical slashing and/or blunt weapon to hit them.

The fire arrows are magical arrows+1 that do additional fire damage. Arrows of course are piercing, so all the base arrow damage is negated, and only the fire damage gets through.

You should have at least a few magical weapons by this point. Silke in Beregost drops a quarterstaff+1 and Greywolf drops a longsword+2.

User Info: juhamieto

juhamieto
7 years ago#3
Ah, thanks for the fast response. I did have the +2 long sword. I suppose an off-hand hit gave me the faulty weapon report when I tried it. Any other + weapons I might've acquired earlier I've sold away.

Anyway, the battle was still tough. I had my monk use the sword and score hits (he had 1 star in long swords, 1 star in 1-handed combat - better than either of my real fighters) while Kagain took the hits and Jaheira cured his poison nonstop. Eventually I ran out of healing potions and that crazy dwarf lost his cool, attacking party members. Luckily I managed to kill the last jelly quickly so I could focus on running away. I guess I'll have to try to find remove fear spell before anything bad happens.

User Info: Ray_678

Ray_678
7 years ago#4
I simply killed the mage and drew the jellys away, then sent someone back to loot the goods :3

User Info: Latronis

Latronis
7 years ago#5
I wouldn't go selling magical weapons early on....

A short sword does 1-6 damage. But the +1 dagger does 2-5 (same average damage) uses the same profs (without tutu) and is going to hit more often.

It's even more pronounced going from a bastard sword (2d4) to a +1 longsword (1d8+1)

And then there are a few foes who need magical weapons to hit.
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
It didn't work in Mass Effect... There was just too much foreplay and no sex. - Flo in regards to the Bioware formula.
  1. Boards
  2. Baldur's Gate
  3. Mustard jellies

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived