How to kill the final boss?

#1HippoboyPosted 7/2/2010 5:07:19 AM

Ok So I am at what i am pretty certain is the final boss, big epic fight and all that. But my team keeps being mercilessly flogged.

My Party consists of

Me (mage classic)

Minsc

Ajuris

Branwen

Imoen

Dyaneir

My current strategy of send imoen to disarm some of the traps, call her back, use branwen to cast several buff spells (chant, bless etc), Ajuris to make protect Minsc and him from evil, Dyanheir and my PC cast mirror image and minor globe of invulnrabiliy. Dyanier cast haste and that ends the pre battle prep. I run up on the left and after the talking is done, I use animate undead with Branwen and use my PC to use his wand of summoning to make a meatshield of expandable troops at the same time I cast dispel with Dyanier so that Sarevoks back up loses some enchantments. Then I just have imoen shoot sarevok with her bow and get Branwen to cast silence while my PC and dyanhier cast assorted spells lik magic missle and flame arrow on the now less enchanted backup. Then things go badly, somehow the backup of Sarevok ignore the silence and cast cloudkill or a similar spell as well as web followed by my count of 3 fireballs. My mages are smashing them, and they won't die, I seriously after all my summons had died hit them with like 4 fireballs on top of other spells and they still won't die.

And if the spells don't get me eventually sarevok manages to get me in melee (I keep minsc and Ajuris out of the fight until sarevok approaches then send them to fight him) and he maims them, I swear he can make a melee attack from phenominal distances.

So if your still with me after digesting all that data, can you give me a hand. Its so unforgiving this fight.

#2Rufus BurrusPosted 7/2/2010 7:33:26 AM
There's a couple of things you could try.

First off, forget about the backup. Focus everything you've got, Minsc and Ajantis included, on Sarevok as soon as you head up there. As soon as Sarevok falls, the fight's over. And at this point it's not like you really need the extra experience from taking down his minions.

If that doesn't work straight up, you can try to soften him up with some skull traps by casting them up near the dais before you hostile everybody, and then set 'em off by running a summoned monster up there. That will trigger everybody to come attack you, so be buffed and ready to go if you try that.
---
'cause there's nothin' strange about an axe with bloodstains in the barn
there's always some killin' you got to do around the farm
#3BGroolsPosted 7/2/2010 9:42:00 AM
Your party isn't really all that great. You don't have a good tank and don't have an archer either.

Arrows of dispelling are a great help in this fight since all the enemies start out with a lot of buffs. 4 quick arrows of dispelling can dispel them all in one round. Then the archer could switch to acid arrows which are plain downright lethal.

Sarevok has -8 THAC0 and 3 APR because he starts out hasted. Dispelling the haste drops him to 2 APR. Next you should Greater Malison and then Slow. That works exceptionally well. All his saving throws are 1 but Malison+Slow makes him save at a -8 penalty, so he has a a 50/50 shot of being slowed. When he is slowed he becomes mincemeat. His THAC0 drops to -4 and he only gets 1 APR.

You should have a good tank to hold the enemies back as well. You don't seem to have a good tank. A tank with a better than -14 AC can pretty easily hold his own against a slowed Sarevok.

Since you don't have a tank, you can still use hit and run tactics. A slowed Sarevok won't be able to catch your hasted party.
#4Hippoboy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2010 7:14:49 PM
Thanks for the help but just a few more questions if I may.
1) what level should I be by this point (I think my party is around lvl 6 by this point)
2) is 'Greater Malison' in the game, as having checked the manual it doesn't seem to be in there, I am playing the game unmodded.
3) you guys mention casting assorted spells on sarevok, isn't he more or less immune to magic?
4) If no-one I have is a good 'tank', what makes a good tank and in future where can I nab one?
#5Hippoboy(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2010 11:00:15 PM

Huzzah. I beat him. I did try some of the tricks you guys suggested but no spell hurt him, the skull traps did not even phase him and his allies would slaughter me with cloudkill and what appears to be arrows that do fireballs (I think they are the arrows of detonation I saw in a shop once).

So what I did was cast 2 dispels up the top before they could see me, a silence (they always make their save but I can hope). I then went up, talked, ran back Sarevok followed and then i used my wand of summoning and animate dead from Branwen to flood him with dudes, I sent minsc and Ajuris (one day I will learn to spell his name right) to attack and once they were injured to fall back and drink a potion or two. I then had my 2 mages attack with their slings (with +1 or +2 bullets) and imoen to shoot with +2 arrows. branwen also used a wand of heaven on him once or twice, as I hoped it hurt him despite his massive magic resistance.

Important note that his allies didn't follow so it was my team verses just him. well my team and 2 dozen hobgoblins and skeletons. he managed to kill all the skeletons and hurt Minsc, Ajuris and Branwen (once all her spells that could contribute were done I sent her to do some melee or healing depending on how hurt the others were. Suddenly he went down, I was shocked, got lots of XP (though I wish I got the others too if only for the XP) and the end movie.

It feels good to have finished this. previously I cheated my way through BG2 (I was like 12 so reasonable) and finished BG2 + expansion on the easiest difficulty.

#6Magi MasterPosted 7/2/2010 11:27:05 PM
Sounds like you're playing just the standard Baldur's Gate without the expansion (like I am, but that's speculation, because I can't find a copy of it), which makes him much more difficult with the lower level cap, and his (odd) innate magic immunity.

Yes, it is a tough fight, but doable, as you've found out. It feels good it wrap up a game, even if it's 10 years old. Games today can't measure up to these gems.
---
"Once my thirst for power was everything...but now I hunger only for revenge...and I ... WILL ... HAVE IT!!!" -Jon Irenicus, Baldur's Gate II
#7BGroolsPosted 7/3/2010 5:29:15 AM
Thanks for the help but just a few more questions if I may.
1) what level should I be by this point (I think my party is around lvl 6 by this point)

Level 6 is pretty low. You should have been level 7 at a minimum since that is when your fighters get their max apr (attacks per round).

2) is 'Greater Malison' in the game, as having checked the manual it doesn't seem to be in there, I am playing the game unmodded.

The manual is full of errors. Sorcerous Sundries sells Greater Malison. Although wait a minute, I just checked planetbaldursgate.com (http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg/character/spells/wizard/4/) and they say that spell was added by TotSC.

3) you guys mention casting assorted spells on sarevok, isn't he more or less immune to magic?

I vaguely recall Sarevok being immune to magic in BG1 without the expansion pack, and the TotSC expansion pack removing the immunity. It really made no sense for him to be completely immune. Why are you playing the game without the expansion installed? I didn't even think you could find the game without the expansion already included nowadays as they are always bundled together.

4) If no-one I have is a good 'tank', what makes a good tank and in future where can I nab one?

A tank is basically someone who can stand toe-to-toe in melee and absorb a lot of hits. Just like a real life tank. A tank doesn't necessarily need to deal out a lot of damage in return, it just needs to be able to absorb a lot of hits. A tank should have maximum AC to avoid being hit. This means maximum dexterity of 18, a good shield, and good armor. A tank should have a minimum of AC -10. Nobody in your party really fits this bill.

...what appears to be arrows that do fireballs (I think they are the arrows of detonation I saw in a shop once).

Yes, arrows of detonation. Angelo uses them. As did one of the guys in the party outside right before you entered Sarevok's temple. Arrows of detonation explode into a 6d6 fireball. You can buy them at Sorcerous Sundries as well. These arrows along with acid arrows make archers in the game extremely overpowered.
#8DarthMordechaiPosted 7/3/2010 9:59:35 AM
I vaguely recall Sarevok being immune to magic in BG1 without the expansion pack, and the TotSC expansion pack removing the immunity. It really made no sense for him to be completely immune. Why are you playing the game without the expansion installed? I didn't even think you could find the game without the expansion already included nowadays as they are always bundled together.

The expansion pack I got with my bundle is the Australian version, and when I try to install it I keep getting told it's incompatible with my version of BG1 which is English. So that is why I've never played the game with the expansion and have no idea what Durlag's Tower is actually like

Does Tutu take away Sarevok's magic resistance as well?
---
My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce
Look on my footworks, ye mighty, and dis pair
#9BGroolsPosted 7/3/2010 11:02:57 AM
Does Tutu take away Sarevok's magic resistance as well?

Only if you have TotSC installed before installing Tutu. Tutu changes nothing other than the engine to the BG2 engine.
#10TaladasharPosted 7/3/2010 6:52:43 PM

I know the TC already answered this, but he could have just downloaded a copy of the game and not got the expansion.
---
Land of bear and land of eagle. Land that gave us birth and blessing. Land that pulled us ever homewards. We will go home... across the mountains...
<~~~>