What are the all around best weapons?

#1FionordeQuesterPosted 7/21/2010 2:23:30 PM
Large Swords, Small Swords, Spears, what? What do you guys think?
---
In simplicity is perfection
#2AtnevonPosted 7/21/2010 3:10:57 PM
Probably flails if you count BG2 content.
#3FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2010 3:42:09 PM
What if you do not count BG2 content?
---
#4goldenmouthPosted 7/21/2010 4:06:05 PM
Early on, the best weapon is this one:
Ashideena, the Warhammer +2 looted from the corpse of Bassilus

You can get these early, too, but crushing damage of the Hammer is superior:
Varscona, the Longsword +2 looted from the corpse of Greywolf.
Short Sword +2, from the corpse of Zargal.

Other good weapons:
The Dagger of Venom +2, an expensive item bought from Thunderhammer. It pwns.
Short Sword of Backstabbing +3, but DoV poison is superior
Spiders Bane, tactically useful in conjunction with Web as it bestows Free Action.

The best "sword" is looted from the corpse of Drizzt:
Twinkle (+3, AC+2)

Best ranged weapons:
The Dead Shot - best ranged weapon in the game, looted in Bandit Camp
Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy +5, not until Baldur's Gate City

ToSC expansion has one or two situationally good weapons or good weapons that are cursed.

---
XD @ the fat kid's rant about bullies. You sound like an after-school program on legs. Big, meaty sausage legs. - Absurd Questions to BGrools, 2008.
#5FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2010 4:18:37 PM
So, it sounds like the best thing to be proficient in is Small Swords if you don't count BG2 content, and Blunt Weapons if you do count BG2 content. Am I correct?
---
#6goldenmouthPosted 7/21/2010 5:56:57 PM
(I don't use Tutu or any mods or whatever.)
The best weapon for a warrior to focus on in BG1 + ToSC is either Blunt (for Ashideena) or if you go ranged, Bows (for Dead Shot).
Twinkle is technically a better weapon than Ashideena but armor modifiers on foes favour Ashideena.

In BG2, without a doubt, the best weapon proficiency is Flail, for the Flail of Ages. For ranged Short Bow is the clear winner.
---
XD @ the fat kid's rant about bullies. You sound like an after-school program on legs. Big, meaty sausage legs. - Absurd Questions to BGrools, 2008.
#7FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2010 6:02:07 PM
What if I'm a Fighter/Mage/Thief? Would Short Swords be worth it just for the Backstab damage?
---
#8goldenmouthPosted 7/21/2010 6:09:29 PM
What actual playstyle are you look at?
A backstabber who can fight?
Then go Fighter/Thief dual or multi and use the Large Sword proficiency for Varscona and later Twinkle (you cannot backstab with Ashideena). The dual will be deadlier than the multi within the 161,000 XP cap of BG1 + ToSC.
Triple-class multis are not effective within that cap as they level up too slow (XP is divided into three classes and neither become good). Triple-classing is only viable in BG2 and even then double-classing is superior.

---
#9FionordeQuester(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2010 6:51:36 PM
I just wanted whoever was greatest at soloing the game. In my mind, whoever can do that is the best character in any video game.
---
#10goldenmouthPosted 7/21/2010 7:31:45 PM
Well, I've solo'd the game many times and there are basically two ways to do it.
"The pwn everything in your path way" and "the cowards way".

The Fighter/Mage dual is the former and is the crème de la crème of BG1 + ToSC soloing.
The Fighter/Thief dual is the latter.

Newbies should use multi versions of these since they won't know how to handle dual down-time.
---