GamesMaster Magazine's Exclusive Batman: Arkham Knight Preview

#1Scarecrow1711Posted 4/28/2014 7:28:49 PM
Unfortunately, I cannot find a website link of this to save my life. Apparently, it's an excerpt from the magazine that's been pasted around the various forums. Here it is:

There’s a subtly redesigned suite of combat moves, gadgets and abilities for starters. That includes the ability to soften up criminals before even arriving using a new system game director Sefton Hill calls, “gadgets while gliding”. For example, instead of using a dive attack to take out a single enemy you can trigger slow-mo as you swoop in to target three people with stunning batarangs.

Another new trick is the ability to steal weapons. Previously, you could counter something like a pipe, using it to take out your attacker but that was all. Now you get to keep your new friend and share the fun with everyone.

According to Hill, “Fear takedowns work if you have up to three enemies in a location and you can creep up on them without being seen, you can chain three takedowns together at once.” This plays out as a slow-mo quicktime event with Batman darting between criminals as you attack. “It’s a nice switch up,” says Hill, “because now you can isolate groups of up to three. But the twist is you need to be able to sneak up on them without being seen, so you need to think of new ways to creep up, not just rely on sneaking up for a silent takedown”.

Grapnel Boost: “Mark 2,” as Hill calls it. This lets you hammer X as you accelerate to get an even higher launch into the air. Considering, “Gotham City is about five times the size of Arkham City,” it’s going to be useful. You can also turn 180-degrees, flying away from the building you’re launching from. And, if you want to get recon on an area, you can fire out the line launcher at any time for an instant perch. “It automatically figures out which buildings to connect to,” says Hill.
“We have new enemy types we’ve not shown,” says Hill, “basically the enemies have got a lot of new gadgets and abilities to fight Batman.”

According to GamesMaster, the game is 40% complete. TC here, I find this to be incredibly alarming.

While Bruce sounds like he’s had a hugely empowering upgrade, it’s in keeping with the idea that this is, “Batman at the very peak of his powers.” According to Hill the enemies haven’t exactly been resting either so, “the two aren’t out of sync.” He continues, “When we made the enemies more powerful, we made Batman more powerful as well in order to take-on this increased threat.”
While the world’s greatest detective seems to have more abilities this time, Hill emphasises that this installment, “will still have that lovely vulnerability of Batman. If you stand up in front of guys with guns you’re going to get shot to pieces. So that lovely balance between the power of Batman, but also the vulnerability, is definitely very much still there.”

Screenshots:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/115/2/5/image_by_cmurphytheman123-d7fzfwb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Hc1PLKu.jpg

The Penguin is supplying guns to the criminal masses to help fuel a riot after a city-wide evacuation. He also seems to be getting extra pally with Two-Face.

Sidemissions: “We wanted it to really feel like there isn’t necessarily a very key main path and side missions,” explains Hill. “All of these different components and these different attacks by the different super villains have their own really interesting story that you can follow”.

---
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/317/d/e/Scarecrow_by_Radojavor.jpg
http://wallpoper.com/images/00/22/34/70/dark-creepy_00223470.jpg
#2FlyingGrayson89Posted 4/28/2014 7:57:45 PM
I look forward to beating thugs with pipes. Haha. Everything else sounds great.

As far as the 40% completion, there's still time. I'm not too worried myself.
#3Zombie_Socks_96Posted 4/28/2014 8:09:03 PM
Rocksteady has stated that they started working on AK not long after AC came out, which was Oct. 2011. A rough estimate for how long they have been working on AK would be about 2.5 years now (Nov. 2011 - Apr. 2014) and they release in Oct. which is 6 months away. No way in hell that 40% is right, unless they are talking maybe Beta Stage specifically and Alpha has already been finished.
---
Game Designer
Games I Want: Shovel Knight, Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMix, Watch Dogs, The Witness, Transistor, Batman: Arkham Knight, The Evil Within
#4King_Jman100Posted 4/28/2014 8:28:58 PM
- 40%? That doesn't sound right...
#5ZechsPeacecraftPosted 4/28/2014 8:43:27 PM
Zombie_Socks_96 posted...
Rocksteady has stated that they started working on AK not long after AC came out, which was Oct. 2011. A rough estimate for how long they have been working on AK would be about 2.5 years now (Nov. 2011 - Apr. 2014) and they release in Oct. which is 6 months away. No way in hell that 40% is right, unless they are talking maybe Beta Stage specifically and Alpha has already been finished.

that's what I was thinking. Either this is a really old interview or the comment was taken out of context or a misunderstanding or something. I can't imagine the author so casually glossing over such a glaring detail
---
"It's the stronger that make the weaker"- Milliardo Peacecraft
#6snake2410Posted 4/29/2014 12:15:27 AM
Flying*Grayson89 posted...
I look forward to beating thugs with pipes. Haha. Everything else sounds great.

As far as the 40% completion, there's still time. I'm not too worried myself.

And also the article could have been researched/interviewed 2 - 3 months ago. 2 - 3 months a lot can get done if the engine is in place. My only concern is that it gets proper playtesting. I'd rather them delay it then release anything like Origins.
---
PSN: Snake2410
MG SAGA 100% Trophies x6!, GoW SAGA 6x Plat!, ZoE HD 2x Plat!, N7 Elite x3! C:LoS Saga 3x 100% Trophies!!
#7c0sa n0straPosted 4/29/2014 1:08:17 AM
Fear takedowns sound sweet, but I hope they aren't too easy to pull off.
#8LordRattergunPosted 4/29/2014 1:48:33 AM
So Batman can go Mike Haggar on enemies? I like it!
---
Rattergun, you are truly a hero for our times. - Recoome_is_god
http://i.imgur.com/dUNdc.jpg
#9LichtschwertPosted 4/29/2014 9:51:25 AM
With Scarecrow as the big bad, this Arkham Knight guy trying to usurp Batman, Joker gone, god knows what with Harley by this point, it being set on Halloween AND both bad guys and Batman being tougher and more brutal than before, it seems like a cool theme to run with storywise is fear and what our fears do to us, and how we face them.
---
PSN: Ordune_Krystal
#10Sol4688Posted 4/29/2014 4:20:05 PM
LordRattergun posted...
So Batman can go Mike Haggar on enemies? I like it!

My first thought as well.

Throw in Nightwing and Robin too... to make it the Final Fight!
---
PSN: CrimeRoyal
Want a totally awesome webcomic? Check out http://blue-blaster.com/