Is there a way to...

#1gameaddict4lifePosted 7/18/2009 6:56:44 PM
Me again, lol, I've been playing this for a few days now, still on the learning campaign, Egypt civ. Is there anyway to create multiple units at the same time? Also is there a way to cycle through all of your units? I seem to always lose track of a villager that the game says I have for my population. Finally, is there a way around the population max in single player? I think the answer is no and if so is there a way to delete obsolete units to make room for upgraded ones? Thanks for any answers!
---
Have a good one.
#2Metrics05Posted 7/18/2009 8:09:33 PM
OK,
Let me answer these as best I can.

Me again, lol, I've been playing this for a few days now, still on the learning campaign, Egypt civ.

Skip it. Learning campaigns to me are a waste. Just go for it. Each board will be different, and
only experience will teach you to master the game. Not those learning campaigns.

Is there anyway to create multiple units at the same time?

The way I did it was: Say you need 2 archers. Build 2 archery ranges, and order one from each.

Also is there a way to cycle through all of your units? I seem to always lose track of a villager that the game says I have for my population.

I don't think so. I hate losing track of the laborers. When you see them, there they are, standing
there doing nothing!.

Finally, is there a way around the population max in single player? I think the answer is no and if so is there a way to delete obsolete units to make room for upgraded ones?

The way over the population cap is simple. Have a Monk convert some guys from the other side. I think that is the only way. You can have more than 50 that way...but it wont let you order soldiers or laborers totaling more than 50.
Click on a unit. Than puch delete on your keyboard. this will kill the unit. Then you can order a better one. I must admit....I am not sure if this applies to this game. Try it, I think it does. I can
confirm it worked on at least one of the AoE series, but was it this one? Not sure. Try it.
#3gameaddict4life(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2009 11:45:33 PM
Hey thanks for the info! I'm going to complete the learning campaign anyway though since I'm already a ways into it. Here's another question: does the game record your scores in the regular campaigns, like a high scores list? It doesn't seem to keep them in the learning ones. Oh, and how many times has this game crashed on you in the past? Mine just did it for the first time right when I was about to complete a scenario! I'm running on Vista by the way. Oh, and does the windows help system come in handy? Apparently Vista doesn't support that part of the game. Thanks!
---
Have a good one.
#4gameaddict4life(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2009 11:53:02 PM
And yes hitting the Del key does kill my old units! Hooraay!
---
Have a good one.
#5gameaddict4life(Topic Creator)Posted 7/18/2009 11:58:57 PM
Heh, just thought of some more questions. In trading I noticed that different ports had different gold amounts but the numbers didn't seem to make sense and the ports goods numbers kept increasing to 100? I guess I don't get what the numbers mean for trading ports and also why I can't seem to send more than one ship to each port. Can anyone provide some clarification on trading? And also why does trading not effect other civs supplies? Seems like the developers made trading just an easy way to get gold with no strategy whatsoever. I think Sid Meir's Civilization has this game beat in the trading department. Thanks for info!
---
Have a good one.
#6Metrics05Posted 7/19/2009 11:14:08 AM
This time, I have few, if any answers.

About the scores, I never paid any attention to them. If I won, I won. If I lost, I lost. Scores did
not concern me.

Crashes.....Mine did freeze a few times, and then never recover. Not ofen at all.
The help windows.....I never used them.

Trading: I don't know about that. I never did it. I thought it was a silly idea. The other side
comes in and wipes out my labor force, buildings, etc (I used to send one guy off to the far
corner of the map on "Doomsday" duty. He would stay there, chop wood, fish, dig gold etc, in
case my city was wiped out, I could still make a comeback) Then they want to trade? No way.
What I wanted from the other side, I just took by force. Never mind trading.
Another thing: When you face 2 or more teams in one map, never try and make allies with one.
It is a waste of resources. Offer them anything, and they will take it....but never join your side. The
only time they joined me was when I used cheat codes to drop off thousands of each resource.
So then I bulked up my side and wiped them out anyway.
About conversion: A great thing to do is convert an enemy transport ship. Then you figure, delete it thus killing off his units inside. Never do this. Once you convert the boat, the units inside are still
his, but in your boat. Just leave the boat there to rot, as he has lost control of the units inside, and
thus, is wasting them. Keep in mind that Egyptian chariot soldiers are immune to conversion.
Hoplites & phalanx: Good soldiers yes.....unless they get converted. Then they will be a problem.
I tended to base my army on Composite bowmen. Cheap, fast, but get enough of them together....they become a force. Of course, one well placed catapult shot will wipe out lots of them.