25 things ALL users should know & Help forum

#91StilleasPosted 9/24/2005 7:35:21 PMmessage detail
I would appreciate it if Kamon137's question be answered. I just suffered the same problem (sans the Pokemon Stadium bit).

Here's exactly what I did. I started a new Pokemon Red game on my GBASP and played through until Cerulean City. I then turned off my GBASP and went downstairs to catch my meal before the buffet closed.

I came back to my room, loaded my saved file, and caught both Mews using the exact methods described. I then saved and removed Pokemon Red from my GBASP and put Pokemon Gold in it instead.

I put Pokemon Red in my regular GBA and attached the two with a gamelink. Upon turning it on, I discover that I can't trade my Mew over to Gold for one simple reason: the game doesn't have any saved data anymore.

My theory is that if you save and quit too soon after catching a Mew, the game will erase your data. Or maybe it's due to a certain randomness? In any case, some confirmation and/or explanation would be quite helpful. Sorry if this is a ridiculously stupid question. Thanks for you time.
#92GunbladeladPosted 9/29/2005 7:34:07 AMmessage detail
My guess is that if you're doing a direct trade between 2 cartridges though Stadium, then there'll be no problems.

However, storing mew on Pokemon Stadium (any of them - they all have similar problems for some reason - by all I include the first Japanese edition which was different from the western release) does have a record of causing all sorts of problems. I myself lost all the cups and all the stored items (THIS was particularly annoying as I'd built up a massive supply in PS2), but the stored creatures were still there.

If you're doing a Stadium trade (or or more accurately, transfer) with 1 transfer pak (rather than 2), then you're probably best crossing your fingers and wishing for luck.

If you're trading in the traditional link-cable way, then it may well be a dodgy battery in the cartridge losing the data. In general they're reliable for a long time, but after a few years data loss can occur. Some people believe you can "recharge" them by having the power on for a while. Personally, I believe, when the battery is dead, it's dead, and needs replacing. If you're confident with a soldering iron and have the right screwdriver, then on you go (at your own risk...). A safer option is to call your local nintendo centre and see if they'll replace it for you.
---
Support PAL Gamers
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=7&topic=20140880
#93BikdipOnABusPosted 10/12/2005 10:06:31 PMmessage detail
-bump-

This is the last topic on the board, dont want it dying
---
Get a leg up on the pile, and refinance your dreeeams! Come along down and dial...
555-55-55855-55-5-SENOR-MORTGAGE-TODAY! "no probalo!"
#94BikdipOnABusPosted 10/12/2005 10:07:47 PMmessage detail
....oops. Didn't realise the stickied topic and the non-stickied one were the same thing. Never mind. *runs*
---
Get a leg up on the pile, and refinance your dreeeams! Come along down and dial...
555-55-55855-55-5-SENOR-MORTGAGE-TODAY! "no probalo!"
#95Kamon137Posted 10/20/2005 3:16:16 PMmessage detail
..I'm not sure if you guys didn't quite catch what happened when my game's data was deleted, so I'll say it again. I was playing Pokémon Yellow on my Gameboy Advance. I caught two Mews, around Cerulean City. I saved game. Now, later on, I borrowed my friend's Pokémon Stadium, and tried to play Pokémon Yellow on my Nintendo 64. However, once the damn Transfer Pak finally kicked in, my data was erased. I removed it from the N64 to test it on my Gameboy Advance to find I had the same problem.
---
If you don't like my driving, STAY OFF THE SIDEWALK!
#96GunbladeladPosted 10/23/2005 3:14:58 PMmessage detail
Sorry about the delay in replying Kamon.

The odds are that you simply have a dead battery if it's Yellow that's not saving.

Just a small heads up for the Mew users - DON'T store it on the N64 Stadium carts, it's known to cause problems.
---
Support PAL Gamers
#97Master Of MajoraPosted 10/24/2005 12:54:24 AMmessage detail
D*mmit! Some people says Mew crashes Stadium, some people says it don't! How the heck are we supposed to know what's true??? We don't want to take any risks!
---
I'm waiting for the Twilight Princess.
#98GunbladeladPosted 10/24/2005 2:39:27 AMmessage detail
Just to clear things up.

If Mew is only stored on your GB carts, then Stadium is perfectly safe. It's only been known to wipe data (as far as I know) if it's stored on an N64 box. I'm one of those that's been hit with Mew-related Stadium data loss. (ALL my items in PS2, and I've also lost my cups in Stadium. Yes, I was hit twice...)

This means that trading via stadium is safe, as is Stadium's rental Mew.
---
Support PAL Gamers
#99Master Of MajoraPosted 10/24/2005 7:11:49 AMmessage detail
Thanks, that made me feel a little better... So I can still use my killer Mew L100 from R/B/Y in Stadium when my cartridge is in the Transfer Pak, as long as I don't put Mew on the N64 boxes... Good.

Well, as long as the Mew is gotten from the Mew Glitch, at least.

---
I'm waiting for the Twilight Princess.
#100KomodoTheNinjaPosted 10/25/2005 1:18:03 PMmessage detail
Azures PBS is down again. :(
---
November 2nd, 2005
The Return Is Near